Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2015, 12:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze gets a minor facelift for 2014

Chevrolet has unveiled the second-generation Cruze sedan. It seems to be following a new design philosphy of the newer Chevrolet cars in USA. It looks striking and in some angles looks like the Impala. The interiors will retain the dual cockpit design and will have piano black surrounds and brushed aluminium finish to complement its sporty dagger like exterior look. The new Cruze will get the Chevy's MyLink Entertainment system which supports both Android Auto and Apple's CarPlay.

The India bound Cruze is said to get an all new 1.6 variable geometry turbo-diesel, which GM’s powertrain engineer claims is 'whisper-quiet’ and sets a new benchmark for refinement. The power and torque for this new engine has not been revealed yet, but company sources hint that figures could be close to that of the earlier 2-litre engine, which was a beast to drive. To meet new demand for petrol motor, the Ecotec 1.4 turbo-petrol with direct-injection developing 153bhp and 24.47kgm of torque will be offered by Chevrolet.

Safety features in India have not been officially revealed, but I assume that it will feature 6 airbags, ESP with rollover mitigation, traction control and all wheel disc brakes with ABS+EBD.

Here are some pics to drool.

Next-generation Chevrolet Cruze Spied undisguised! EDIT: Now unveiled-0_0_860_http172.17.115.18082galleries20150625065647_2016chevroletcruze2.jpg
Next-generation Chevrolet Cruze Spied undisguised! EDIT: Now unveiled-0_0_860_http172.17.115.18082galleries20150625065652_2016chevroletcruze1.jpg
Next-generation Chevrolet Cruze Spied undisguised! EDIT: Now unveiled-0_0_860_http172.17.115.18082galleries20150625070315_2016chevroletcruze9.jpg
Next-generation Chevrolet Cruze Spied undisguised! EDIT: Now unveiled-0_0_860_http172.17.115.18082galleries20150625070322_2016chevroletcruze11.jpg
karthick_b is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 13:17   #17
BHPian

Re: Next-generation Chevrolet Cruze Spied undisguised! EDIT: Now unveiled

I think Chevy bought the Verna's body and just pasted their symbol on it. I prefer the existing looks. Add some awesome projectors and it will look smashing.
Old 25th June 2015, 14:46   #18
BHPian

Oh dear lord what crap is this ??

As an (ex) Cruze fan and someone who was looking to upgrade to a Cruze one day this comes as a major disappointment. The car was probably the only 150% butch looking car under 20L. I was prepared to accept even the 2nd gen face but this ? Meh.

Time to look towards the asians for my upgrade.

On a lighter note: Possible taglines- "Honey I rear ended the Honda City with Corolla"

Last edited by Rollingwheels26 : 25th June 2015 at 14:50.
Old 25th June 2015, 16:29   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

The Cruze has lost its character IMO.
Looks too generic and like a crossover of the Corolla and Elantra.

And completely objective, but the steering wheel looks like its made for the buttons.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 16:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

It is to be seen whether the 2nd generation lands in India. Usually GM cars do not sell much even in the 1st generation, get knocked out late in the first set, and few make it to the next set/round/generation. The first gen sold 1400 in 2014-15 and 1800 in 2013-14. Not many people lining up for even the first gen.

Last edited by vasudeva : 25th June 2015 at 16:44.
Old 25th June 2015, 17:21   #21
BANNED

Next Generation Cruze it maybe, but present generation Elantra it is! I think the designer is on Hyundai's payroll. Feeling sorry for Cruze, it was one macho looking car. RIP.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 20:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noo.b View Post
Looks like some rice boys got their hands into the designing of this cruze.
At least be accurate in your racial slur. Cruze is a Korean design and not Japanese. Both the Gen1 and this Gen2 are GM-DAT products from Korea.

I think that this is quite a looker and if GM sensibly prices it between C and D segments (inspite of this being a true D segment vehicle) because of low brand equity as compared to Toyota Corolla & the Octavia/Jetta twins, then I think this should replicate the Optra Magnum success. The interiors look much more luxurious than any car in its segment now.
Asifgrkhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 20:42   #23
BHPian

Looks modern and more aerodynamic!
Although it may not look 'muscular' as before but looks sleek nonetheless. I like it!

BTW, looking at so many people cribbing about the new design and how they have drastically changed the look of the car it doesn't surprise me as to why the Indian car manufacturers resort to just stickering and minimal 'spot-the difference' face-lift.

Maruti Suzuki...Kudos! You have read their minds already!

Poor Chevrolet...Now you know why only your age old Tavera brings in the numbers. Anyway, to conclude, I like the New Cruise. Keep it up Chevy!
Old 25th June 2015, 22:49   #24
BHPian

I wonder why Chevy sells anything else in India when they have the blueprints of this. A big aspirational segment is having to live without the Civic, an eroded Octavia and a take-it-or-leave it Elantra.

This car has the ability to change it all...just bring all the features through different variants and a fuel choice. GM has a winner on their hands...and only they can mess it all up.
Old 26th June 2015, 10:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthick_b View Post

Chevrolet has unveiled the second-generation Cruze sedan. It seems to be following a new design philosphy of the newer Chevrolet cars in USA. It looks striking and in some angles looks like the Impala.
I happened to view the Autocar yesterday and there was a snippet that this is expected to hit Indian soil by 2016 !!

When this car does come, it will probably be the most gorgeous stead under 50 Lks. Why ??:

- Elantra - Looks brilliant, feels great, drives mediocre
- Octavia - Feels Premium, drives perfect, looks less expensive
- Jetta - Drives plush, looks immaculate, feels expensive

2016 (?) Chevy Cruze, probably - Looks Killer, Drives Insane and Feels Esteemed !!
Old 26th June 2015, 10:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately since I last bought an Opel Corsa in 2003, and started visiting the workshop on a regular basis for non-service complaints, things have not improved at all for GM attested to temp spikes in sales, followed by decline, then a facelift, then 1-2 month of bump, then decline, then new launch, 1-2 month of bump, and so on.

I sold my Corsa in 2012 and had been using it sparingly even long before that. One never knew when it would break down. I used to get calls from my wife (who is very simple and pleasant in disposition) about the car breaking down. Finally, got her an Etios in 2012 (which never broke down) and taking delivery of City for her hopefully today.

The biggest problem relates to quality and pricing. Unlike Toyota and Honda, where pricing is more or less uniform across dealers, in GM, it varies a lot and a customer may never be sure if he has hit rock bottom with final price.

Then when the customer buys, problems often start the day warranty expires and even before that. GM has gone for 3 yr warranty, but it has to be honoured, no questions asked.

Even if the customer gets past all this, GM cars suffer from very poor resale value even when the brand is in production. But it is often not, and once the brand/model is discontinued, you can be sure to get peanuts on resale.

Not that higher priced Toyota cars enjoy a high resale after 7-10 years. I am getting 2.5 for my March 2007 Corolla H4. But why should I sell. It has never given me trouble and at 78K, it is good for at least 1-1.5 lakh more. Maintenance is low unlike substantially cheaper GM cars. Plus even if I sell, I will get ready buyers. So I am assured of a quick resale at market price. The point is that I will sell because I want to and not because I need urgently to be rid of a certified lemon.

Last edited by vasudeva : 26th June 2015 at 10:44.
Old 26th June 2015, 11:07   #27
BHPian

Looks good but not American. The current gen Cruze has muscular and bold looks that appeal to its buyers but this one doesn't look like it has been derived from Cruze. The front is uncanny similar to current gen City and the rear somewhat resembles to Verna/Elantra. The dash looks nice though and I hope they will retain all the bells and whistles when the car will arrive in India.
Old 26th June 2015, 11:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asifgrkhan View Post
At least be accurate in your racial slur. Cruze is a Korean design and not Japanese. Both the Gen1 and this Gen2 are GM-DAT products from Korea.

@Asifgrkhan - If I have offended you I am sorry, that wasn't the intent. The term "Riceboy" wasn't used with any racial conotation in my post. Riceboy off late has not remained a racial slur or a term to describe the Japanese but instead to describe a lot that is more satisfied with the making their car look fast , whether or not it is fast is a different issue altogether. And thank you for that info on the design being Korean, another new thing i learnt today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asifgrkhan View Post
I think that this is quite a looker and if GM sensibly prices it between C and D segments (inspite of this being a true D segment vehicle) because of low brand equity as compared to Toyota Corolla & the Octavia/Jetta twins, then I think this should replicate the Optra Magnum success. The interiors look much more luxurious than any car in its segment now.
On a sidenote , did the optra magnum really succeed? I thought it was the earlier Optra that worked, and was of the opinion that the Optra Magnum was more of a moderate seller at best.
Old 26th June 2015, 11:37   #29
BHPian

Walkaround Video!
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 13:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noo.b View Post
Looks like some rice boys got their hands into the designing of this cruze.
.... It has an overtly strong "asian" look to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingwheels26 View Post
Oh dear lord what crap is this ??

Time to look towards the asians for my upgrade.
For all the demeaning and almost-racist 'ricer'/'asian' references in these posts, the original Cruze is a 100% ricer/asian product from GM Daewoo, most probably based on the original Daewoo Nubira platform.

The Chevy badge does not mean that it is American - both the Optra and the Cruze are based on original Daewoo designs worked over by the Americans.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks