Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2015, 12:57   #1
BHPian

Pics: The South African Mahindra Quanto

I thought it may be of interest to BHPians to elaborate a little bit regarding the Mahindra Quanto variant sold on the South African market.

Most important difference is:
UNDER THE HOOD!
Yes we don't have the shakey little 3 cylinder diesel in the local Qunto, but rather the M-Hawk 2.2L straight out of the Xylo!

Second important difference is that we have no jump seats in the rear boot compartment. As these seats do not come with seat belts, they do not meet local safety homologation requirements.

Third important difference is the interior. The Quanto is available in red, silver and white. The red and silver versions have the same interior colour scheme as Indian market Quantos, but the white Quanto has an all black interior, which I am sure you will agree looks much better than the beige-ey grey.

The Quanto in SA is only sold in C8 guise. This model lacks the rear reversing sensors on the Indian version of the C8. It comes with the same 15 inch alloy wheels and Bridgestone Dueller tyres as the top of the range Xylo.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: The South African Mahindra Quanto-405.jpg  

Pics: The South African Mahindra Quanto-766606_10.jpg  

Pics: The South African Mahindra Quanto-766606_6.jpg  

Pics: The South African Mahindra Quanto-766606_7.jpg  

Pics: The South African Mahindra Quanto-a766606_11.jpg  

Pics: The South African Mahindra Quanto-766606_8.jpg  

Pics: The South African Mahindra Quanto-403.jpg  

Sir Lancelot is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 15:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Pics: The South African Mahindra Quanto

Thanks @SirLancelot

Aah, the interiors of the Quanto in black looks way way better than the beige/green crappy interior colour we get here. And the M-Hawk engine was said to be offered an year after the launch, but no news till. Also the facelifted Quanto and the upcoming U301 are still rumoured to have the 3 pot again.
Old 11th June 2015, 15:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Lancelot View Post
I thought it may be of interest to BHPians to elaborate a little bit regarding the Mahindra Quanto variant sold on the South African market.
Thanks SirLancelot for sharing this information.

As car lovers / users, we may have differing opinions about the Mahindra products, sales experience and service. But I am happy as an Indian that a niche of foreign markets finds a value in some Indian vehicles. Wish our auto exports increase year after year and we create a happy customer base abroad.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 11th June 2015 at 15:30.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 19:06   #4
BHPian

The Quanto is a very capable machine. The only thing that went against it was its oddball design. But in my opinion the Quanto looks good in certain angles than the Xylo. Infact I could imagine if the facelift Quanto is launched with a new face and plastic body cladding on the sides (like the Scorpio CRDe) it would look so much better.

With regards to the Quanto in South Africa, I think the 2.2 mHawk engine in a Quanto which is lighter than a Xylo (Quanto: 1640 kg kerb weight vs Xylo : 1830 kg Kerb weight) by about 200 kilos. This can translate to better acceleration figures making it a pocket rocket compact UV.

Also, the all black interior without the rear jump seats makes the Quanto's insides look pleasing. Hope to see the all black interior into the facelift. But the only thing that can save the Quanto in the Indian market is the much touted AMT gearbox from Ricardo. Lets see what the future holds for this weird compact UV.
Old 11th June 2015, 22:01   #5
BHPian

Personally I am somewhat bemused by the negative comments from BHPians about the Quanto's looks. I think it looks quite alright actually. Also, I wish Mahindra would sell a cheaper 3 pot version in SA too, as the Quanto is quite overpriced here are over ZAR220,000!
One thing I do hope is that Mahindra doesn't screw up the looks of the Quanto with the upcoming facelift. Guys, the Quanto is not a bad car. You can be proud of it, it's OK!
Old 13th June 2015, 11:59   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pics: The South African Mahindra Quanto

Always a special feeling to see Indian cars abroad. Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Lancelot View Post
Yes we don't have the shakey little 3 cylinder diesel in the local Qunto, but rather the M-Hawk 2.2L straight out of the Xylo!
The only reason Mahindra used the smaller 1.5L motor here is to bring the sub-4 meter Quanto within the lowest excise duty slab. Since this isn't applicable to South Africa, you guys get the nicer mHawk engine!

Yeah, the all-black interior looks so much better.

The Quanto left me pleasantly surprised when we reviewed it. Interior space is best of any sub-4 meter UV. The engine is nice, and the interior quality is acceptable. It's got only two things against it: The ugly styling (biggest deal breaker) and bumpy ride quality.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks