Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2015, 00:20   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
For the cars

While we all can linger about how the new Top Gear would never be as good as the old one. As fans, perhaps its time to move on. Come to terms with the fact that Jeremy while a great host, perhaps deserved to go if he did in fact punch a colleague. If I were managing the show, perhaps I would have done my best to ensure that he doesn't get to that stage of aggravation, but if he did and if he chose to vent out by punching someone who is a part of the group, You've got to go. Its more of the right thing to do ethically v/s right thing to do from a business perspective.

I hope this new era of Top Gear is oriented towards cars and not some old person going on about how more power is a bad thing (Ferrari F12), or how Cayman is faster than a Huayra (ridiculous).

I think Chris Evans has that ability, he loves his cars and knows quite a bit about them. It'll be interesting to see the co-hosts they can rope in, I sincerely hope Chris Harris is one of them.

I just hope the new team doesn't do something stupid and start copying the old format and be ridiculous for ridiculousness' sake.

Chris Evans + Chris Harris + 'X' - should be a brilliant team.

Here's to the new era of Top Gear.
Just want to put out two things.

First. The old man Clarkson has been test driving for about 30 years. If not the best, he is a good driver certainly way more talented than the average. If he says the f12 has got too much power for its own good, I think it's reasonable to believe what he says unless you have actually driven an f12 and it's predecessors at the limit and can prove it wrong otherwise.

Second. That pagani vs Cayman race was shown to prove that an average driver like Hammond can be in a hyper car like a pagani but he can still can be beaten by a true professional like the stig in a much more modest car. Money does not equals talent.

Top gear had a couple of bad films when compared to the standards they set for themselves. That I will admit but it was never as bad as you put it out to be.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th June 2015 at 08:49. Reason: Post edited. Lets leave that last bits out. :)
nakul0888 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 03:11   #17
BHPian

re: Chris Evans replaces Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear. EDIT: Evans steps down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Just want to put out two things.

First. The old man Clarkson has been test driving for about 30 years. If not the best, he is a good driver certainly way more talented than the average. If he says the f12 has got too much power for its own good, I think it's reasonable to believe what he says unless you have actually driven an f12 and it's predecessors at the limit and can prove it wrong otherwise.

Second. That pagani vs Cayman race was shown to prove that an average driver like Hammond can be in a hyper car like a pagani but he can still can be beaten by a true professional like the stig in a much more modest car. Money does not equals talent.

Top gear had a couple of bad films when compared to the standards they set for themselves. That I will admit but it was never as bad as you put it out to be.
Dont get me wrong, I was and still am a big fan of Top Gear. I have been following Jeremy through his antics from the very beginning of my TV viewing memory.

To be clear, I have no experience on F12 or the likes to contradict him. He has his right of opinion and I have my freedom to disagree (and perhaps agree with the likes of Chris Harris), but thats my right, my opinion.

My comment on F12 and Huayra were not to contradict his point, I think much of it contradicts what he had stood for, for most of his life. Perhaps its me, my age, but towards the end of it, I did get the feeling that he seemed to be different Jeremy than the one I witnessed and admired growing up.

My intent was not to portray his effort and skills in a bad light, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching his shows (almost all of them) and he will deeply be missed. I witnessed myself move from a person who saw Top Gear for the cars, to a person who saw it for entertainment.

But I also stand by the actions of BBC (much against most of the internet) on releasing him from the contract. I'm also an optimist and hope that the new era of Top Gear will be a good one.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th June 2015 at 08:49. Reason: Quoted post and response edited.
Old 18th June 2015, 08:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, I was and still am a big fan of Top Gear. I have been following Jeremy through his antics from the very beginning of my TV viewing memory.

To be clear, I have no experience on F12 or the likes to contradict him. He has his right of opinion and I have my freedom to disagree (and perhaps agree with the likes of Chris Harris), but thats my right, my opinion.

My comment on F12 and Huayra were not to contradict his point, I think much of it contradicts what he had stood for, for most of his life. Perhaps its me, my age, but towards the end of it, I did get the feeling that he seemed to be different Jeremy than the one I witnessed and admired growing up.

My intent was not to portray his effort and skills in a bad light, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching his shows (almost all of them) and he will deeply be missed. I witnessed myself move from a person who saw Top Gear for the cars, to a person who saw it for entertainment.

But I also stand by the actions of BBC (much against most of the internet) on releasing him from the contract. I'm also an optimist and hope that the new era of Top Gear will be a good one
Top gear is one of the few good shows on the telly. It became a hit when it moved away from being just about car reviews. Everybody knows that. For serious car buffs like us we already have Chris Harris on cars, evo tv ..etc for our car fix. And I seriously doubt Evans and team can beat serious car journalists at their own game. The reason we watch top gear is for the laughter and entertainment factor along with car reviews. For that to happen there should be proper chemistry between presenters like Jeremy, Hammond and James. With the way things are going now with them announcing a lady presenter and all. That's unlikely to happen. So there you go. What's the point ? It's going to be another fifth gear. That's it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th June 2015 at 08:51. Reason: Quoted post and response edited.
nakul0888 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 08:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

As much as I liked the original trio. This doesn't sound bad at all!...

Chris Evans with the much respected Chris Harris would make a good team. All that's left would be a third to complement their style and personality.

Last edited by GTO : 18th June 2015 at 11:44. Reason: Typo
Old 18th June 2015, 09:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

By the end of it Top Gear was a car show only in name. In reality it was about 3 middle aged men who would vent out their anger over things that bothered them in their own country and outside. And undertake the most ridiculous and ingenious set of challenges.
It was a brilliant piece of work .
The backbone of all this was JC. It was great while it lasted. The good news is that the trio should be back in business in a new setup soon.
Top Gear now is most probably going to be just another great car show from around the globe. And frankly that is hardly groundbreaking.

Last edited by bigron : 18th June 2015 at 09:38.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 11:50   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I hope this new era of Top Gear is oriented towards cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
and as a viewer, honestly even I feel the latter option was definitely better. Something to watch is better than nothing!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
By the end of it Top Gear was a car show only in name.
But see, that's the thing: There are already innumerable shows that focus just on cars (without the antics, humour & wit of Top Gear).

So, how would this be any different?

Top Gear was Top Gear because of their craziness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
Chris Evans has confirmed that at least one of the new presenters on the 'new Top Gear' will be female.
Just one name comes to mind - Vicki Butler!

GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 12:06   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Top Gear was Top Gear because of their craziness.

What about Jodie Kidd? She is was in the news as a possible host too on the show.
Old 18th June 2015, 12:17   #23

I am a huge fan of BBC Top Gear, and I simply hate the Top gear US, it just doesn't have the spice and the fun element of the UK version. It is the charisma of the trio that made the show such an epic hit. I would surely watch a few episodes with Chris Evans(and the other hosts) and see if my interest continues, but my heart says the show would never be what it used to be.
Old 18th June 2015, 12:28   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Top gear, in the current format, ceased to be entirely about cars after the first season, when May came back. May was pushed to present sensible bits and pieces, but slowly, he became, er, Slow(?)

But to say that its entirely an entertainment thingummy, not true. The car connect is tremendous. The fiesta reviews and the Lodgy drives are being done by hundreds of shows. Hell , even we could do go and test drive them. But an extended piece in dictated environs with, say a veyron, or an SLR, or that Lambo sesto elemento, I have never seen anyone get such a free rein on the mostest expensivest cars in the world.
Or, where would you see brutus?
XTR?
F1 drivers?
Harrier, or the eurofighter?

No connect?
Remember Oliver?
That was more connected than any mileage or quality review.

The list is endless,and Evans knows how much he has to do, AND put up with.
No delivery, and we'll have Top gear America. Thats the consolation prize waiting.

Maybe BBC wants a final milking, thinking that at least the first season will be seen by the 340mn viewers before the show is accepted or declined by them......
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
What about Jodie Kidd? She is was in the news as a possible host too on the show.
I too think its going to be Jodie Kidd. Going to be killer, though. Instead of Tall man Clarky, its going to Jodie kidd towering over the rest.
Two Hamsters, I suppose!
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 12:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Big Shoes, no doubt.

Can he do it? Only time will tell.

Its like, "two and a half men" - though the essence of the show was both the chubby kid-Jake and the charlie-charlie, one grew up and other became Ashton - show still goes on. Piano to Macbook, life goes on...

Will the love of cars overrule Love of Jezza? Only time will tell, but we all still miss that Charlie, dont we?

Steal sometime in midnight to watch a youtube episode of "charlie and rose" "eat english muff...", we all would!!
svsantosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 13:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Its like, "two and a half men" - though the essence of the show was both the chubby kid-Jake and the charlie-charlie, one grew up and other became Ashton - show still goes on. Piano to Macbook, life goes on...
[/i]
Exactly! What Charlie Sheen had set was a benchmark. Two and a Half Men was basically centered around Charlie and his drunken maniacal attitude. When they replaced Sheen with Ashton Kutcher, who no doubt is a great actor in his own right, the show somehow lost it's former sheen (pun intended). It was not the THM we had cherished for so long.

Top Gear, like two and a half men has been something I have watched since my childhood. Clarkson was a figure that you both looked up to and were envious and jealous of. Take him,Captain Slow and Hammond away and suddenly, TG's a different, far less lovely proposition that I just can't come to accept.

If Top Gear had been like other simple car shows like Autocar or Overdrive, it would not have mattered as much. But you don't watch Top Gear just because you love cars! You watch it because it's highly entertaining as well. We watch it because we simply love those goofs! I respect Mr. Evans's work but replace Clarkson and the others with him - No, no and no.

Hope the TG trio get mooched off by some other auto show (that is broadcasted in India, of course) so that we can continue enjoying these 50-something juveniles.
Batfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 13:31   #27
BHPian

I've been watching top gear for a while now and although Clarkson, Hammond and May will be missed sorely, the new show might bring something fresh (other than just car reviews).

The trio became a hit because of their characterization - each of them had unique traits which was shown with all the banter on screen - which made it so interesting for all.

If the new show manages to do that, then we might have the trio's new show and BBC's fresh take on Top Gear as well. All in all, we will only be gaining with two shows! Of course, all this is only a possibility.
Old 18th June 2015, 14:07   #28

I guess this was bound to happen. Whether this would have happened naturally 2 or 3 years down the line as all the three blokes were getting really old and the antics were kind of getting silly. (Maybe that was the point)

But I do welcome the change. Hope they keep up the quality. What I really liked about the show was its impeccable car testing on that beautiful track that they had and that too completely standardized. Usually car reviewers drive in different terrains and give opinion. But Top Gear had its own test track which meant each car went through the same terrain conditions albeit weather conditions.

Waiting impatiently for the new show to air as it has been way too long for my "Top Gear" dose.

On the other hand, Jezza, Captain Slow and Hamster are planning a car show of their own. Two shows will be better than one.
Old 18th June 2015, 17:23   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Really??

Chris Evans replaces Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear. EDIT: Evans steps down!-screenshot_1.jpg

Quote:
Ever thought you'd make a brilliant Top Gear presenter? Well, here's your chance to put your money where your mouth is. Or, rather, your face where your mouth is.

New TG host Chris Evans has today announced the start of an audition process, where fans can apply to join the presenting team.

"The way Richard and James were found was by auditioning," reckons Evans, "so what we're going to do is hold auditions. Not just for famous people, ex-famous people, up-and-coming famous people, but for people who are watching the show."

Chris Evans: Jeremy's given me some advice

"Male, female, old, young, it doesn't matter. The one thing that does matter is that you've got to have a real appetite for cars, and you've got to know something about cars."

Chris added that you don't need to be an established presenter to apply.

"You can be a mechanic, you can be an amateur racing car driver, you can be a guy who's a fireman but who's been building his own Land Rover in his shed for five years, but you've got to know about cars…"

Presenting hopefuls - who can apply from all over the world, not just the UK - should record a video clip no longer than 30 seconds. "It should just be you, to camera from the waist up. No stunts, no gimmicks, just you talking to camera," said Chris. Presenting wannabees must be over 16.

Candidates, Evans announced, would be 'whittled down' before being invited to audition live for Evans and the TG production team.

"It's all a big open book," he said. "Top Gear has benefited from the audition process, and we think that can happen again. You must know at least as much as me, preferably more than me, about cars."

Evans added that there was ‘no guarantee' that a member of public would form one of the final presenting team, and that it will "only happen if there's anything good."

"Will we have one host, two hosts, three hosts?" he asked. "Will we have hosts who come and have a go depending what's on the program that night?"

Sounds like that's up to you, camera-confident TG enthusiasts.

Details will arrive tomorrow of exactly where to send your clip, no doubt accompanied by a vast list of terms and conditions. Until then, dig out your best (or worst) shirt, and get scribbling that 30-second script.
Let's hope the trio applies for the audition

Source - TG News

Last edited by naveen.raju : 18th June 2015 at 17:26.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 21:40   #30
BHPian

May seems to be here.

Sadly, not a patch on Top Gear style of presentation. But good effort neverthless.
And he isn't Mr. Slow anymore.
psispace is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks