Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2015, 15:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW DriveNow car-share : 38% of users sell their private cars

Electric cars may be the future, but their penetration levels in the automotive industry remain relatively weak. In order to boost the popularity of its electric car range, BMW introduced the DriveNow car sharing program. The service enables users to drive all-electric BMW vehicles for a few minutes, an hour, a day or more, rather than having to buy a car of their own. Now, around 38% of the DriveNow clients have sold their privately owned vehicles, according to a report by Reuters.

DriveNow's survey of its customers revealed that only 20% of the car-sharing scheme's clients are inclined to keep their private vehicles. BMW has launched DriveNow in Berlin, Duesseldorf, Hamburg, Munich, Vienna, San Francisco and parts of London with over 4.5 lakh users. In markets like the UK, the program extends to BMW's Mini brand as well.

How does it work?

In regions like San Francisco, interested users have to pay a one-time membership fee of $39 (INR. 2,500 approx). Charges are $12 (INR. 765 approx.) for the first 30 minutes, and 32 cents for each additional minute. Alternatively, the charge for 24-hours is $90 (INR 5,740 approx.). Once approved, members receive their DriveNow customer card by mail. The ID is a key, it contains an RFID sticker that unlocks any available DriveNow BMW.

The service has an app that can be used to locate the nearest available DriveNow vehicle or station. The DriveNow ID unlocks any vehicle displaying green on the card reader. Users can then follow instructions on the in-car screen, enter their PIN and get going. When done, the user can park in a DriveNow designated “green zone" (certain markets allow parking in any public parking space), end their booking and hold their DriveNow ID against the card reader on the windshield and wait for the light to turn green, ending their reservation.

The service enables users to get the benefits of a car, while avoiding the costs of buying one, maintaining it, insurance etc.

BMW DriveNow USA
BMW DriveNow UK

BMW DriveNow car-share : 38% of users sell their private cars-1.jpg

BMW DriveNow car-share : 38% of users sell their private cars-2.jpg

Last edited by Tushar : 30th June 2015 at 15:47.
Tushar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 15:27   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW DriveNow car-share : 38% of users sell their private cars

Great news. Read long back, a similar operation was done with "Smart" cars in Europe. But if the operation is not manned, how can one account the damages to the car? does the rent includes insurance too? When do we such systems in India .

This reminds me of an incident 6 - 7 years back, we used to have cycles for internal commute in office. Since the ratio of of cycles were too low compared to the workforce, people started to chain them and kept it for themselves days together.
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:18   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Very interesting, Tushar. Thanks for sharing. I wasn't aware of DriveNow till recently.

I think it's telling that a car manufacturer like BMW is entering the car-sharing space. In a way, it's indicative of the trend in developed countries. The young generation simply doesn't want to own cars (related news). Heck, they aren't even getting their driver's licence! Ever improving transportation solutions (like Uber), technology and the declining lure of car ownership are killing it. Among other manufacturers, Ford is getting into the car sharing business too (link).

I don't think we'll see the trend in India though. A car is a status symbol and a dream for many. Our infrastructure is also very poor. I can't think of any young dude I've met who wasn't already dreaming of a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
But if the operation is not manned, how can one account the damages to the car? does the rent includes insurance too? When do we such systems in India
Buddy, please look up the likes of Zoom Car & Myles. Both provide solid car-sharing services.
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Buddy, please look up the likes of Zoom Car & Myles. Both provide solid car-sharing services.
Even though I have a couple of Zoom points around the corner, what is putting me off is the condition of the cars. They are pretty shabby. Slightly dirty, I can bear with it but the ones I see are dented, upholstery stains etc.
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks GTO. But I dont think it is possible to pick up and drop the car at different places currently with Zoom or Myles. It has to be a round trip.
My neighbour had rented from myles few days back. The car was thoroughly inspected while dropping. Hence the query on unmanned operations.
I know for sure, this will improve. And I'm also waiting for cars from the big 3 to be added in their list in Chennai

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks