Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2016, 11:31   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!

I don't understand why Honda is not trying to make the CR-V a 5+2 seater. Its quite big and the rivals like the Santa Fe, or the X-Trail already have that option.
Old 19th July 2016, 07:50   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Spied on hot-weather testing in the Mojave Desert.

The larger model should be more spacious inside, which could allow for a seven-seat model.

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2018hondacrvspyshots.jpg
Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2018hondacrvspyshot1.jpg
Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-3.jpg

Quote:
The future CR-V reportedly grows larger than the current one and appears to take styling cues from recent Honda vehicles. For example, the LED headlights and L-shaped taillights here are reminiscent of the designs for the latest Civic. The grille’s thick crossbar and narrower slats evokes the HR-V compact crossover, too. The new design also features muscular shoulders. This one has a slightly lower front fascia, rather than the dual exposed tailpipes in previous spy photos. Inside, extra space could allow for versions with five and seven seats.

Honda might add its 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder to the CR-V's powertrain lineup. In the latest Civic, this mill makes 174 horsepower (129 kilowatts) and 162 pound-feet (219 Newton-meters). That’s less than the crossover's current 2.3-liter four-cylinder with 185 hp (138 kW) and 181 lb-ft (245.4 Nm), but the new powerplant should be more efficient. A hybrid could join the range, too. On base models, a CVT would route power to the front wheels, but all-wheel drive would be optional.
Source
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 08:23   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

India-bound 2017 Honda CR-V has been spotted testing in China. The car now seems to be closer to its final production form.
Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2017hondacrv11.jpg
Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2017hondacrv31.jpg
Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2017hondacrv41.jpg
Quote:
The new Honda CR-V will be launched in India in the second half of 2017, with a global release expected to happen in the coming months. The first country that will begin selling the next generation CR-V will be the United States, where sales will begin early in 2017.
Source
Old 13th October 2016, 21:41   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

The North American version of the all-new 2017 Honda CR-V has been unveiled in Detroit.

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2017hondacrvfrontthreequarterunveiled.jpg

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2017hondacrvsideunveiled.jpg

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2017hondacrvrearthreequarterunveiled.jpg

Equipped with a stylish new body, more storage space, a higher-quality interior and packed with greater technology inside and out, the 2017 CR-V will be offered with a 1.5L turbocharged mill for the first time in it's sales career, which produces an output of 190BHP of sheer power.

Base variants will continue with the 2.4L NA engine which is good for 184BHP. Both engine options are paired with a CVT transmission, while AWD is also provided as an option.

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2017hondacrvinteriorunveiled.jpg

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2017hondacrvinstrumentclusterunveiled.jpg

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2017hondacrvcenterstack.jpg

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2017hondacrvtouchscreenunveiled.jpg

Quote:
At nearly 105 inches, the CR-V’s wheelbase has grown by almost two inches compared to its predecessor’s. This stretch has helped dramatically increase cabin volume. Product planners estimate this vehicle should offer best-in-class interior space and rear-seat legroom. As for luggage capacity, the wheelbase growth has increased the cargo hold’s overall length by nine inches when the rear backrests are folded. Additionally, customers are treated to a totally flat load surface, which is always appreciated.

Like the Civic that came out last year, this CR-V's interior has been made dramatically more premium for 2017. Designers benchmarked luxury models when creating the cabin and it shows. Squishy-soft plastics abound, as do rich-looking trim pieces, soft leather and cutting-edge technology. Dominating the center stack is an available seven-inch touchscreen Display Audio system with — get this — a physical volume knob, which replaces an infuriating touch slider. For even more convenience, this arrangement also supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Beyond this, customers can get remote start, dual-zone climate control, heated side-view mirrors, an electric parking brake, and even rear USB ports to help keep all of their devices charged. For a sporty look, LED daytime running lights are standard. Taking this a step further, top-of-the-line Touring models gain headlamps that utilize the same LED technology, a premium feature.

Another welcome option is the company’s first-ever hands-free liftgate. In addition to this, Honda Sensing will also be offered, their suite of advanced driver-assistance features. This package deal includes things like lane-departure warning, adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitoring, automatic high-beams and more.
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 02:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Its more like a facelift although its all new. I like it very much. The interiors seem to be worth the money. Honda is likely to bring this to India as they have done with all previous gen CRVs
Old 14th October 2016, 03:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Gen 1 and Gen 2 CRV's were made with a lot of practicality factored in for families with infants/children in the back seat - both had a collapsible center console between the front seat and a free space below. This was to facilitate the passenger to quickly pass through to the back seat should the child in the back seat need attention. I have seen this in practical use as well.

However, gen 3 already lost it. with the spare wheel going under the car, the boot floor became higher too. I drive a 2009 gen 3 CRV here in Finland.

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-12108782535_a7b77776a5_k.jpg

I absolutely love driving it. While I do miss the collapsible center console, it is still possible for my wife to pass through by stepping on the fixed center console to tend to the infant in the back seat.

I did have a Gen 4 model with me for a month as temp car while my car was out for a accident repair. I noticed that it had nothing spectacular in it that would make me switch to the newer model. in fact the boot was a bit narrower and it was now impossible to pass through from front to back thanks to the higher console and lower seats. It did not gain much technology wise too.

While gen 5 is still the same as Gen 4 practicality wise, it has gained a lot of tech. I'll probably have one for a few days of test drive to see how different it is. While the design is an evolution of Gen 3, it has a lot of nice lines that look more appealing.

Looks like I'll stay a CRV owner for life as do many others who keep switching between models but still stick to CRV's.
14000rpm is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 13:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Having owned the CRV 2.4 Automatic for more than 7 years now, I am totally a fan of the car.

I like the 2017 North American version of the CRV. The face-lift looks a lot better than the current outgoing version. The touchscreen infotainment looks like an after-thought though. I wish Honda wouldn't go too 'over the top' with the rim designs. The one in the pictures above look too garish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm
I drive a 2009 gen 3 CRV here in Finland.
I noticed that the CRV's sold in Finland have headlamp washers. Probably has to do with the adverse weather conditions there.

Last edited by Fullrevs : 14th October 2016 at 13:02.
Old 14th October 2016, 13:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post

I like the 2017 North American version of the CRV. The face-lift looks a lot better than the current outgoing version.
true that. Gen 4 was just a pass-through phase. Gen 5 is not that radical still like Lexus NX.

Quote:

I noticed that the CRV's sold in Finland have headlamp washers. Probably has to do with the adverse weather conditions there.
Yes. it is mandatory and comes on with Windscreen washer. especially useful in Autumn and Spring when it gets slushy.
Old 14th October 2016, 15:52   #24
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!

Quote:
I wish Honda wouldn't go too 'over the top' with the rim designs. The one in the pictures above look too garish.

If you compare the BRV rims and these one's they all seem inspired from BeyBlades
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Untitled 1.pdf (152.4 KB, 214 views)
Old 14th October 2016, 16:42   #25
BHPian

The Japanese firms seem intent on amping up the styling busy-ness/excess, perhaps a lesson learnt from the scorching growth of the previous gen Hyundai-s (and Kia-s) around the world, including in the Japanese's core, almost-home market of the usa, precisely at a time when both Toyota and Honda were going far too-complacent on that front?

The result has been some truly imo interesting and breakthrough-boldly-original, yet coherent, and distinctly 'Japanese' styling from Toyota and Lexus, and Mazda, while imo Honda and Nissan too (some models) have over-compensated too-far in the other direction: just too busy, kitschy and tacky, imho, sometimes cartoon-ishly excessive design elements and overall composition, especially exterior design (Honda, Acura, Nissan, Infiniti.) Honda's interior designs though are imo indeed very fun, young and funky (from the previous-gen Jazz upwards.)

Am afraid Hyundai and Kia with their so-called suv-s (softroad suburban family tall-cars/wagons) seem to've left esp Honda and also Nissan (some sedan models), at least, way behind, overall, in design language and coherence/composition terms: Santa fe, Tucson, Sorento etc. Mazda, though, and esp the new Toyota designs are truly splendid, one for economy/minimalism-as-styling-grammar, the other for edgy and harmonic boldness, imo.

I guess, beyond any subjective/relative-taste question though, it is probably a question of target demographics, on a global basis, is it not? Honda seems very intent on infusing the taste of (some) Chinese segments into their recent all-new models: first the Civic, now this CR-V? Since their marketshare iin the USA is way-past its peak, while the latter is still possible for them in China? Caveat: the Jazz and Vezel/HR-V are nicely-enough composed and yet distinctive, more than can be said for the new Civic or this new CR-V (just imHo.)

They've been in the quality and profitability wars over the last several years, globally (now improved under the new ceo, over the last year or 2) and for a while they were way behind the new-tech, esp engine and transmission, curve as well (led by the european oem and supplier firms.) I guess they're intent on recovering their lost-ground, and gaining plenty new ones (in China) with the new Civic, new turbo engines, new stylistic 'aggression' etc?

Their 'third world market' eg India push with EM-special models (Brio, City, Mobilio and BR-V) seems not to've worked out for them, financially,at least not in India. But that was i guess more due to quality-cost trade-off mis-speccing than either design or brand-image/allure/trust, and perhaps was a reason for the ouster of their previous ceo? Honda's new projects (Civic, CR-V....) since then are certainly more 'aggressive' in 'style' and tech than ever!

For India and Europe/UK they'll presumably be offering the CR-V with the 1.6 diesel? If the latter engine's well-localized in India (?), they could offer the CR-V here at quite-competitive prices, for the Honda brand, for once, no?
Old 14th October 2016, 19:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

I'm quite excited about the 1.5 Turbo Petrol engine. 190 bhp sounds good! With the sudden interest in Petrol engines in India, its quite a possibility.

Some more pics:
Image Source: Car Scoops
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2017hondacrv1.jpg  

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2017hondacrv2.jpg  

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2017hondacrv3.jpg  

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2017hondacrv4.jpg  

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2017hondacrv10.jpg  

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2017hondacrv755.jpg  

Old 14th October 2016, 20:16   #27
BHPian

At first glance I thought I was looking at the BR-V!! While this may sound like good news to BR-V buyers, CR-V owners/potential buyers will frown. Not really a fan of the new exterior design as of now unless Honda has created something that'll take time to grow on people. Wish they had kept the chrome levels down. Also the sunroof in one of the pictures looks a tad too small.

1.5L with 190 BHP sounds awesome and the new car looks spacious even with what appears to be fairly thick front seats. The all touch head unit looks nice as well.

The current CR-V was a car that was in my consideration list when I decided to upgrade from my Swift and I really liked how it looked. However I felt it was overpriced at 30L+ OTR going by the features offered. Hopefully Honda loads the CR-V with a little more this time.
Old 15th October 2016, 14:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Looks like a mini Pilot. I dont know if 7 seats is the way to go as we hardly tend to use 7 seats on a regular basis. To accomodate 7 the length is increased and car tends to become a bit difficult to manoeuvre. CRV stands for Compact Runabout Vehicle. How is 7 seats compact ? As a current CRV owner i think the car is perfect length currently, anyways hoping Honda has a good design and somehow driving dynamics dont get altered. Fingers crossed. Just to add i miss the Safety features that are missing in the Indian version which we get in the USA version. Lane change, Fatigue detection, etc.

To be honest with you, the lane change indicator and fatigue detection are more or less useless in India. When you're driving in the US, you tend to go miles and miles before you even need to use the brake pedal, the drive actually becomes boring and one tends to loose focus/attention. On our crazy India roads, one has to be alert at all times and its hard to doze off (unless you're on some lonely highway).
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 14:40   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
To be honest with you, the lane change indicator and fatigue detection are more or less useless in India. When you're driving in the US, you tend to go miles and miles before you even need to use the brake pedal, the drive actually becomes boring and one tends to loose focus/attention. On our crazy India roads, one has to be alert at all times and its hard to doze off (unless you're on some lonely highway).
Honestly disagree with you. Fatigue detection and lane change are very useful in India. I've had friends drivers falling asleep on the wheel and totalling cars. So with the increased usage of roads in India all safety kit should trickle down to India especially when I'm paying more for my car in India than my USA counterparts.
Old 15th October 2016, 14:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Honestly disagree with you. Fatigue detection and lane change are very useful in India. I've had friends drivers falling asleep on the wheel and totalling cars. So with the increased usage of roads in India all safety kit should trickle down to India especially when I'm paying more for my car in India than my USA counterparts.
You're actually paying more to the government here and not the manufacturer. In fact the manufacturer could be making a bigger profit in the US. (I'm not sure about this though). Drastically lower volume for premium cars in India means less overall profit in India and hence some features are delated to increase the profit per unit sold. Cant blame the manufacturers, its business at the end of the day.

With respect to Fatigue detection. This system kicks in when you swerve out of a straight line/path suddenly and on a couple of occasions during a drive. The system assumes that you have dozed off. How would it work in India when we are never in a straight line. I doubt there is ever a period when a vehicle is in a straight line for a long duration in India.
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks