Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2015, 11:20   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!

Leon Brennan, Honda UK's head honcho, has confirmed that the next-generation Honda CR-V, due to be out by 2017, will be a larger and more premium product than the current generation SUV. This will help the car to distinguish itself from the Honda HR-V, currently in markets.

It will offer seven seats as standard fare and come in a 4-wheel layout as well.

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-32132_cr_v_prototype.jpg

Quote:
Brannan also hinted that the new CR-V would offer seven seats as standard and four-wheel drive, in a bid to rival more premium products such as the Land Rover Discovery Sport and Volvo XC60.

“CR-V is a massive pillar for us,” Brannan said. “I’m not sure that HR-V in the UK will ever become a four-wheel drive car, most people in this segment will vote with their feet and buy two-wheel drive. So if we can assume that HR-V will ever only be two-wheel drive, then you’ve got to proposition [with CR-V].

“Can we compete with Land Rover as a brand? That’s less about CR-V and more about Honda as a brand. Now we have the growing vehicle line-up you’ll see more communications about Honda.”

The interior of the new CR-V is expected to borrow heavily from the HR-V, including that car’s touchscreen infotainment system and dashboard layout. Engines could mirror those found in the HR-V, including the 118bhp 1.6-litre diesel and 128bhp 1.5-litre petrol.
Autocar UK

Last edited by RavenAvi : 10th July 2015 at 11:22.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 11:00   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!

Not sure if that's a good idea. The current CR-V has grown and is already big enough. I don't understand why, with every generation, a car has to get bigger & bigger. One of the things that owners love the CR-V for is its ease of driving & agility, and that would definitely suffer.

I'm surprised Honda hasn't learned its lesson. The 8th-gen Accord got some flak for having grown too much. Plus, unlike the Europeans, Honda isn't able to make big cars look nice; the designs end up bulky from some angles.

CR-V stands for 'compact recreational vehicle'. Honda shouldn't forget that.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 11:51   #3
Team-BHP Support

I agree there. The only reason I'd pick a CRV over a Fortuner is its ease of drivability even though they're similarly priced. If the two converged, I'd more likely pick a Fortuner between the two. I wish they would instead focussing on giving engine options that are more commensurate with its positioning. A 116 bhp diesel engine (even if it has generous torque) just sounds ridiculous.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 03:55   #4
BHPian

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size

I don't understand why most of the cars are getting bigger and bigger with each generation. When Toyota first launched RAV4, it was compact and very nimble. Same was the case with first generation Honda CR-V. And look at now, both of these cars have outgrown earlier generations by fair margin.
Old 14th July 2015, 06:33   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
I don't understand why most of the cars are getting bigger and bigger with each generation. When Toyota first launched RAV4, it was compact and very nimble. Same was the case with first generation Honda CR-V. And look at now, both of these cars have outgrown earlier generations by fair margin.

People are fatter, larger and need more space.
If you compare the First Gen Mini with the Present Gen one side by side, you'll be shocked that the current one is almost 1.5 times or 2 times the old one's size!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 06:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
People are fatter, larger and need more space.

If you compare the First Gen Mini with the Present Gen one side by side, you'll be shocked that the current one is almost 1.5 times or 2 times the old one's size!

Well I don't think that is the reason. Mini is the exception here but if you look at Toyota/Honda then you will notice that they did come up with smaller alternative. Like Honda launched HRV which is almost the same size of first generation of Honda CR-V. Similarly, Current generation Toyota RAV4 is almost of the size of first generation Toyota Highlander. I think it's more to do with charging/justifying premium that companies charge over the outgoing models.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 23:13   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The larger, next-gen CR-V has been caught on test. 7-seater under camouflage?

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-ar151209927.jpg

Quote:
The single photo shows a prototype model shot from the side, with the distinctive CR-V taillights running up the rear of the car. The front is entirely covered, with a pair of bolt-on headlights sticking up from the hood. But the most interesting bit is the rear door. Or, more specifically, its length. Blacked-out with camouflage tape, the door is conspicuously longer than on the current production CR-V. Could the next-gen CR-V, due in 2017, be available with a third row of seats?
Sources say yes, but not in the U.S.

Automotive News

RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 05:16   #8
BHPian

I guess, eventually, the Pilot will compete with the Expedition, Tahoe, Sequoia, and Armada. Honda is lacking a full size SUV, so they're just moving everything up rather than creating a whole new model. Pilot will become a full size SUV, and the CR-V will become a mid size SUV.
Old 7th December 2015, 07:24   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The larger, next-gen CR-V has been caught on test. 7-seater under camouflage?
The current CR-V itself is pretty huge for a 5-seater, and this just adds to the bulk. I am surprised that Honda is not able to bring in any of its space saving expertise when it comes to their mid-sized/large cars.
Old 7th December 2015, 15:04   #10
BHPian

This looks disproportionately "stretched". I'll wait for a few more shots to emerge to conclude definitively.
Old 20th April 2016, 11:50   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Fresh Spy Shots;

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-hondacrvspyphoto3.jpeg

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-hondacrvspyphoto.jpeg

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-hondacrvspyphoto1.jpeg

Looks good

Image Source

Last edited by karan561 : 20th April 2016 at 11:51.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 23:51   #12
BHPian

Looks like a mini Pilot. I dont know if 7 seats is the way to go as we hardly tend to use 7 seats on a regular basis. To accomodate 7 the length is increased and car tends to become a bit difficult to manoeuvre. CRV stands for Compact Runabout Vehicle. How is 7 seats compact ? As a current CRV owner i think the car is perfect length currently, anyways hoping Honda has a good design and somehow driving dynamics dont get altered. Fingers crossed. Just to add i miss the Safety features that are missing in the Indian version which we get in the USA version. Lane change, Fatigue detection, etc.

Last edited by M00M : 20th April 2016 at 23:56.
Old 22nd April 2016, 07:44   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

More spy images of the CR-V on test in US!
Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-0.jpg
Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-cq5dam_web_650_600.jpg
Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-12.jpg
Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-122.jpg
Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-12222.jpg
Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-123.jpg

http://www.quattroruote.it/news/foto...su_strada.html
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 20:16   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda's CR-V spied again,to arrive in 2018.
Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2018hondacrvfront1620x411.jpg
Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2018hondacrvrearthreequarters2620x412.jpg
Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-2018hondacrvside2620x412.jpg

http://carplace.uol.com.br/flagra-no...-primeira-vez/
Old 7th May 2016, 10:26   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The new, fifth-generation Honda CR-V will appear in the US market late next year, while in the UK will be available of 2018.

The new CR-V will feature larger dimensions compared to the current model (+ 50 mm in length and 80 mm longer wheelbase), will be made ​​on the new platform, and range of engines could be found and the 1.5-liter turbo gasoline, the revised 2.0-liter petrol engine and an improved 1.6-liter diesel engine. Hybrid variant is also a possibility.

The base version will have a front-wheel drive and six-speed manual transmission, or be available to stand optional 4x4 drive and nine-speed automatic transmission. Customers will also offer a version with seven seats.

Rendered,

Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-148781honda20crv201.jpg
Next-gen Honda CR-V to grow bigger in size. EDIT: Revealed!-148782honda20crv2011.jpg

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/c...-seats-in-2018

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks