Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2015, 06:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended for allegedly punching a producer. EDIT- Now released from BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
...err that's over 1500 Crs INR
Oops, my bad. It's 42-43CR per episode.(!)

(P.S. : Now I can't help but wonder how much the auto makers have planned to recover from the consumers through Top Gear. Anyway ☺ )
Old 1st August 2015, 07:09   #17
BHPian

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended for allegedly punching a producer. EDIT- Now released from BBC

This is great news! I think Amazon will be able to pull many stunts similar to the BBC, Amazon has way more money. And more money plus no BBC censors means a happy ex-top gear crew and what will hopefully be a great show.
Jeeper1941 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 07:12   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

We forget that India is a relatively small economy full of poor people. Indians therefore get paid a lot less than folks from the West. For example, everyone is so thrilled with some recent movies crossing Rs. 500 cr. (USD 80 mm) in revenue. But per Wikipedia, Keanu Reaves made USD 156 mm in 2003 for the Matrix films. Similarly, the highest paid professional CEO of a U.S. Company was David Zaslav of Discovery Channel, who earned USD 156 mm last year, while the highest paid Indian Professional CEO in India (as opposed to a promoter) was Vishal Sikka who earned Rs. 30 cr. (USD 5 mm). So in that context, this contract for three stars, while attractive, is not exceptional.
Hayek is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 11:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I dont think so, 1500+ Crs for 36 episode means close to 42 cr per episode.
Oops!

Mea culpa

Yes it equals approx 42 Crs per episode
Old 3rd August 2015, 18:27   #20
BHPian

re: Top Gear trio to return with a new show "The Grand Tour" on Amazon Prime!

Jezza, Hammond and Slow are finally back ! I was literally in shock when BBC decided to terminate Clarkson's contract after the frac¸as with producer Oison Tymon. With the trio signing up with Amazon, it's BBC's loss as I am sure the new hosts will never be able to match the chemistry between the 3 characters. The three would have much more creative freedom with Amazon as I am sure all ex Top Gear fans know how BBC did not approve of Jeremy's humor and stand against cyclists and environmentalists. Moreover Amazon and Netflix are emerging entertainment entities poised for growth as Internet use spreads even more which can only mean a better motoring show. The only major fly in the ointment is the absence of Stig as BBC owns the right to Stig and his avatars.
Old 3rd August 2015, 19:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRaccoon View Post
The only major fly in the ointment is the absence of Stig as BBC owns the right to Stig and his avatars.
Well... if the trio are really sinister, they could reveal the identity of The Stig and deflate all the mystery surrounding The Stig.

But then, I am sure they will be staring at a million pound lawsuit if they do so!
Old 3rd August 2015, 20:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Well... if the trio are really sinister, they could reveal the identity of The Stig and deflate all the mystery surrounding The Stig. But then, I am sure they will be staring at a million pound lawsuit if they do so!
You are correct, but then I am sure that Clackson would not harm the show. He was quoted as saying "Top Gear was my baby", he even asked fans to stop harrasing Oisin Tymon on Twitter when people gave him death threats for killing the show. That being said I can't wait for the occasional jibe that he would take at BBC without naming them. I think all Stigs appreciate Clarkson and even though his character is shrouded in mystery, the real people behind the helmet will remember him. Former Stig (Black Stig) actually blasted the BBC for taking a "knee jerk" decision. You should listen to his phone interview -
On a lighter note, Jezza already revealved his identity -
RocketRaccoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 15:47   #23
BHPian

I, for one, would definitely look forward to watching the Clarkson-Hammond-May trio again. I think their crackling chemistry was one of the prime reasons behinf Top Gear's success. As someone has pointed out, we will have to wait and see if Amazon can match the financial and political clout of BBC in getting crazy and unique elements on the show!
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 20:19   #24
BHPian

Hope at least now we can expect that epic La Ferrari,McLaren P1 and Porsche Review and comparison soon. I'm also crossing my fingers on how well Amazon can portray the famous trio compared to BBC.
Old 4th August 2015, 23:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

The reason for choosing Amazon was that they do not interfere with the producers which was mentioned by Jezza.

The ultimate coup would be if the producer punched by Jezza joins his crew

Also with regards to P1 vs 918 vs Laferrari. I really believe Mclaren will take this bout and is the most beautiful amongst the 3 of them. Did a lot of video watching to arrive at this conclusion.

Your opinion?

Maddy
Old 6th August 2015, 01:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Also with regards to P1 vs 918 vs Laferrari. I really believe Mclaren will take this bout and is the most beautiful amongst the 3 of them. Did a lot of video watching to arrive at this conclusion.

Your opinion?
Going a little OT but the Porsche is faster and IMO better looking as well. I prefer the Ferrari though, it has that signature supercar v12.

As for Amazon, I think it will be great but I think that they are getting a little too old now.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th August 2015 at 02:12. Reason: Please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 05:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Superb coup by Amazon. The best analogy will be Arsenal capturing Petr Cech from Chelsea FC.

And most importantly, they got Andy Wilman too. He is JC' mate from school and was the executive producer of TopGear at the BBC. He is widely credited for the show's style and humour.

Top Gear trio returns with "The Grand Tour" on Amazon Prime!-clkimu3wiaehv6b.jpg

So excited. Hope a new series is not too far away. Source
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 18:54   #28
BHPian

It is great to see these guys back. Especially Jeremy.
Looking forward to see the show
Old 7th August 2015, 12:30   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
I think it will be great but I think that they are getting a little too old now.
Yes, but Hammond is still 45 years old. I think they might give him all the test drives May and Clarkson can't handle. In the past he has driven an F1 car, a jet car (which nearly killed him) and the likes of the Bugatti Veyron etc so I don't think he will have a problem.
Old 8th August 2015, 13:40   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
David Duchovny is The X Files. There's no X Files without Duchovny.
Arnold Schwarnegger is the Terminator.
Keanu Reeves is Neo.

Likewise, Jeremy Clarkson is Top Gear.
Isn't that little too narrow a mindset?
Did anyone stop watching cricket after Sachin retired?
Did anyone stop watching James Bond movies after Connery or Brosnan were replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Superb coup by Amazon. The best analogy will be Arsenal capturing Petr Cech from Chelsea FC.
Was Cech sacked by Chelsea because he punched his assistant manger or someone? That was a proper football transfer, a win-win for Chelsea and Arsenal! Whereas Clarkson brought disgrace upon himself and got sacked! Also, I don't think Amazon is anywhere near a big name in broadcast television as BBC, whereas Arsenal is as big a name as Chelsea in English football, if not bigger! I can't see these two incidents as an anaology!

Amazon is just trying to sell their chemistry and heritage. But Clarkson and May aren't who they were 10 years ago. And how long do Hammond and May think they're gonna stay under Clarkson's shadow? I would've been happier if they had stayed back with BBC with a new host.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Well... if the trio are really sinister, they could reveal the identity of The Stig and deflate all the mystery surrounding The Stig.

But then, I am sure they will be staring at a million pound lawsuit if they do so!
That would be Clarkson taking his already tainted reputation even lower. I wouldn't watch such a man's show, no matter how famous/funny/entertaining he is!
Also, does it really matter who The Stig is? And is he 'one' person or more than just one racing drivers putting on his costume?

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 8th August 2015 at 14:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks