Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2019, 19:01   #406
BHPian

Re: Top Gear trio returns with "The Grand Tour" on Amazon Prime!

Quiet disappointed with the show. It should be all about the motoring, where is that ?! Three old men driving boats across rivers and lakes, not very entertaining. I just wish they go back to what they used to do the best. And hope that they buy back the tent.
ksgehlot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 23:19   #407
Team-BHP Support

Did anybody notice those large river boats transporting containers in Vietnam's Mekong River? We have really missed out by ignoring water transport for goods and passengers. I really hope our 'Sagarmala' project starts seeing progress.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 05:56   #408
Team-BHP Support

I watched the show, and was disappointed. True, it's informative, and worth a watch.. however the essence of what the trio are known for was not part of this episode. If I think of it as a travel adventure show sans automobiles I can accept it, but otherwise I believe I wouldn't have missed much if I didn't watch this episode.

Let's see how the rest of the Grand Tour progresses.
Old 16th December 2019, 17:54   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Did anybody notice those large river boats transporting containers in Vietnam's Mekong River? We have really missed out by ignoring water transport for goods and passengers. I really hope our 'Sagarmala' project starts seeing progress.
Yes water based transportation is quite well developed. Its cheaper compared to road transport and can carry atleast 10 times more.
G-One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 13:24   #410
Senior - BHPian

Enjoyed watching it, and they still have got passion to be adventurous is what was well depicted. This wasnt however as exciting as it was to watch them cross English Channel. The episode was informative and entertaining enough, but am not happy with script for James May. Similar route or show in Europe, Canada, Japan would make for an even more entertaining show. For that matter, lake Michigan should also get an episode in my view. Am hopeful of getting them back on cars though.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 17th December 2019 at 13:25.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 02:59   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd watch Donut media's "Everything you need to know about..." or Doug Demuro's videos if I wanted 'information'. I watch TGT for entertainment and the latest episode wasn't entertaining. It was an below average episode.

And on that terrible disappointment I still look forward to their next episode hoping for the best.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 15:52   #412
Senior - BHPian

When is the new episode airing? I thought, they will be doing on TGT Specials. Also, are they going back to Top Gear? I couldn't decipher, what Jeremy was trying to say at the end of the episode.
Old 23rd December 2019, 17:07   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
When is the new episode airing? I thought, they will be doing on TGT Specials. Also, are they going back to Top Gear? I couldn't decipher, what Jeremy was trying to say at the end of the episode.
He was mocking BBC. He said "We are alive (after the last 20 min near fatal drive in sea). And when we expect him to end the show as usual saying "on that terrible disappointment .... bye". This time he said "on that terrible disappointment , pause , to Top Gear, all laughing at the background.. bye".

He was just pulling the legs of the old producer BBC who kicked them out. These guys are well over 50/60 and they are still doing some serious adventurous content and they want to shove it up their old employer BBC. Actually pretty well done.
irdevanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 17:36   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
This is the new format from Season 4. No studio, no studio banter, no conversation street and no audience. All episodes in season 4 will be full feature adventure films and heard that there will be only 4 such adventures this season (not sure on this last statement).
Old 24th December 2019, 00:04   #415
BHPian

I am fine with no more studio episodes coming in and only these destination specials being made now. But I was terribly disappointed with this latest episode. It simply seemed like a propaganda episode by the 'Americans' wherein they were trying to highlight their nearly non existent achievements during the Vietnam war and down play the resistance of the Viets and downplay/hide their own aristocracies.

Kind of felt like the trio did this only for the money. Imagine if this was still sponsored by BBC as a TopGear episode. Do we still think that they would have praised 'America' so much?
Old 24th December 2019, 11:17   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
This is the new format from Season 4.
I welcome this format. Just that it is not as engaging (or entertaining), as the previous specials.
Old 24th December 2019, 11:38   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Even without cars, this was a fun episode, though if more specials come out without cars, it would become a little off. One of the funniest bits of the old formats were the news and conversation street. There is a piece on Youtube that has complied all of the news from TG, and that video is on my playlist for ages. Anyone remember the piece from TG news where James is talking about measuring children? One of the most hilarious bits of TV ever!
Shame to see it gone.

PS: These shouldnt be called the specials now, should they. They're the new normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
I am fine with no more studio episodes coming in and only these destination specials being made now. But I was terribly disappointed with this latest episode. It simply seemed like a propaganda episode by the 'Americans' wherein they were trying to highlight their nearly non existent achievements during the Vietnam war and down play the resistance of the Viets and downplay/hide their own aristocracies.

Kind of felt like the trio did this only for the money. Imagine if this was still sponsored by BBC as a TopGear episode. Do we still think that they would have praised 'America' so much?

The only references I got were of the PBR's engineering, and the rescue op. What achievements were glorified?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 08:44   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

The Grand Tour James May Reveals he Could Quit The Grand Tour

Hope this won't happen anytime soon.

Source - YouTube
Old 8th February 2020, 23:20   #419
BHPian

Top Gear Season 28 is actually better than grand tour episodes. Do check it out. I feel it is better than grand tour and we should probably give credit where it’s due i.e. writers. Do check it out.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 9th February 2020 at 02:08. Reason: Rule #11
Old 13th April 2020, 14:33   #420
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgehlot View Post
Quiet disappointed with the show. It should be all about the motoring, where is that ?!
Just saw 20 minutes of it before tuning out.

Guys, I don't know whether its because of the lack of support from BBC (in terms of talent, ideas) or whatever else, but The Grand Tour overall is NOT a patch on Top Gear. Top Gear was consistently awesome, witty, intelligent & fun. The Grand Tour is - at best - a hit or miss.

Most Viewed