Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2015, 10:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Top Gear trio returns with "The Grand Tour" on Amazon Prime!

Jeremy, James and Richard have reportedly signed on to make three seasons of the yet-to-be-named show on Amazon Prime, after multiple major networks and online streaming services like Netflix tried to get them on board.

The first season is expected to hit the streaming service in 2016. As per media reports, the trio has been given a great deal of creative freedom and a budget to back it up.

Link to Team-BHP news article

Top Gear trio returns with "The Grand Tour" on Amazon Prime!-2.jpg

Name:  2.png
Views: 11284
Size:  417.9 KB

Top Gear trio returns with "The Grand Tour" on Amazon Prime!-1.jpg
Tushar is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 10:42   #2
BHPian

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended for allegedly punching a producer. EDIT- Now released from BBC

This is a great news. Although the success of the show will depend on a lot of other factors, having the trio on screen again is a great coup for Amazon. Hopefully they will succeed this time as well and hopefully we'll be entertained.
Old 31st July 2015, 11:00   #3
BHPian

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended for allegedly punching a producer. EDIT- Now released from BBC

At last, there is hope in the world.

I am a big fan of raw humor of Jeremy and his way of reviewing cars, not sure what BBC folks were smoking when they fired this old chap.
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 11:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice that he is back with the other 2. Its pure entertainment and lot of laughs in between those beautiful machines. But seeing him with BBC and then suddenly to see him elsewhere wont be acceptable for many people.
Old 31st July 2015, 11:20   #5
BHPian

Good News! 2016 is when we can expect it...little too long for all the fans.
Wonder what BBC is thinking, Launching Top Gear with new blokes may not work rather they might receive more flak for it. Rather they should start another automotive show with different theme and different name. I think BBC is going to fail and make mockery of themselves.
Old 31st July 2015, 11:52   #6
BHPian

Good news indeed!!.

However I feel both Amazon Prime as well as Chris Evans' Top Gear have to innovate beyond what the erstwhile Top Gear was. The ratings were coming down and hence viewers were expecting something new.

While the legacy of the trio will surely propel Amazon Prime show to the top initially, it is the content which can sustain it there. Having said that, the three wise men will have lesser restrictions in terms of budget and political correctness. So I expect them to go totally bonkers this time. And yes I can't wait.
Old 31st July 2015, 12:15   #7
BHPian

Mod Note : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and the use of abusive words / photographs in posts / avatars / signatures / topics are STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

A great deal of content on TopGear was possible only because of the BBC's raw muscle. Want a Harrier Jump Jet? Sure have this one, compliments the Royal Navy. Want railway tracks all for yourself? Sure have these, we'll just run our trains somewhere else. Want to go across a war torn African country with a 100 person film crew? Go ahead, no one gonna mess with Britain itself.

I doubt Amazon has the political brawn to pull these things. However, I dont doubt Amazon one bit in sparing no financial expense.

It'll be really fun if the boys name the show "Not Top Gear" just to screw with BBC. They could have a "Not the Stig" too.

Some say his nipples are the shape of the Nurburgring and that, he IS the Stig. All we know is he's Not the Stig!!*cheers and applause*

Last edited by GTO : 1st August 2015 at 10:42. Reason: Expletive edited out. Please refrain from posting them directly or otherwise.
ashwin1224 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 12:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

The deal is worth $250m for 36 episodes over three years.

Source: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d56a21ac-3...#axzz3hS0wlUhQ
Old 31st July 2015, 18:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Such fat pays for such events gets a huge toll on the sponsors. And ultimately this money is realized from the customers. Nice vicious circles. No wonder in our younger age it was so cheap to live in this world.
ram_hyundai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 19:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

I just hope this time the guy's at Amazon Feed Jeremy Clarkson properly
stanjohn123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 22:32   #11
BHPian

I didn't even know Amazon has TV series! Is it regular/cable TV or internet TV?
Good on you, JC.

There are some personalities, that you just can't imaging/accept anyone else doing the same job/role. Like :

David Duchovny is The X Files. There's no X Files without Duchovny.
Arnold Schwarnegger is the Terminator.
Keanu Reeves is Neo.

Likewise, Jeremy Clarkson is Top Gear.
Old 31st July 2015, 23:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Personally, I'd felt the troy trio had lost the Midas touch. I even mentioned my disappointment here on Team-BHP's Top Gear thread.

So, not looking forward to it as such. Still anyway, let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
The deal is worth $250m for 36 episodes over three years.
Isn't that ~Rs.7 Crore.? Isn't unheard of IMO.

IIRC I guess Amitabh Bachchan got paid 5Cr per episode in recent KBC. Rest, I dunno who's exactly hosting what nowadays. :P

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 31st July 2015 at 23:05.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 00:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Like some one said, this good development, with Amazon Prime hopefully they will release all episodes in one shot like Netflix, so no more waiting fevery weekend for each episode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
err that's over 1500 Crs INR
Old 1st August 2015, 02:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post

IIRC I guess Amitabh Bachchan got paid 5Cr per episode in recent KBC. Rest, I dunno who's exactly hosting what nowadays. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

err that's over 1500 Crs INR
I think he has calculated for one episode.
Old 1st August 2015, 02:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
I think he has calculated for one episode.
I dont think so, 1500+ Crs for 36 episode means close to 42 cr per episode.

Most Viewed