Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2008, 10:53   #751
Team-BHP Support

Stop tantalizing us. I see atleast 3 products (JBL/HK) that are not yet available in India. :-)
Old 12th September 2008, 11:45   #752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
How are the public toilets in Germany? I remember Amsterdam having these weird public loos which were just plastic pods on the footpath.

It was almost like in India on the roads in the open only thing you do it in those plastic pods open on the road.
Vid, people need a place to pee when beer flows so freely in Amsterdam ( or for that matter every where outside India)
Probably you would never understand

But i did ask a dutch the funda of that plastic pods open loos.
He said atleast they do it in one place and not go relieving themselves anywhere.

That way the need for putting people to police and fine "jaypeeers" is not there.

I have used it very often . sam's thoughts of 35 bucks for urinating haunted me, no more

after all we Indians don't hesitate to stand by the side of the road for a leak. < no offences meant>
Old 12th September 2008, 13:37   #753
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® 31st Aug 2008 - An unexpected concert

After spending a long and slow day at the Messe, we are unexpectedly invited to a live show at the Sommergarten by Jenny's boss.
It is a concert of "Rhythms Del Mundo" a cuban-latin band, in collaboration with some of Germany's Pop-Rock artists.
It looks like fun, we accept happily.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-scan-3_thumb.jpg

That evening we reach the Sommergarten. It's a great, carnival-like atomosphere and as the lights get dim, the band begins by playing Latin-Rhythm based renditions of songs that I know well.
Songs from Sting, Fleetwood Mac and U2 sound very danceable and cuban.

Later, some German Popstars come as guests and sing one of their songs, but with the cuban band as backup. It is an evening spend dancing with lots of Sangria, lots of laughing, singing, foot tapping and dancing and a great concert all-in-all.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-img_1987_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-img_1993_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-img_1996_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-img_2009_thumb.jpg

Another happy day spent in Berlin. It will feel horrible when the time comes to go home.
I've been having such a good time here that it almost feels wrong.

I am in Germany. For the world's largest consumer electronics exhibition. I am salivating at the various booths, enjoying the cars, the chicks, the technology, the audio.

I am working with the woman I love, spending time with her, enjoying the work by day and having one great evening after another. I am dancing singing, eating and drinking.

And I'm still getting paid for doing all this.

I then quickly remind myself that I am doing this for the collective good of mankind and steel myself for some more good times.

It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. Might as well be the Yeti®
Old 12th September 2008, 15:10   #754
BHPian

Quote:
I then quickly remind myself that I am doing this for the collective good of mankind and steel myself for some more good times.

It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. Might as well be the Yeti®
You had to rub it in ain't you !!

Just kidding - if we think about it, you sure are doing something good for all the T-BHPians who keenly wait for your travelogues. Keep posting.

(btw - the shirt with the blue flower is amazing)
Old 12th September 2008, 16:36   #755
BHPian

There always is an end to everything either good or bad. Doesn't matter, this is an opporunity of us T-BHPians to look forward for another saga!
Old 12th September 2008, 16:49   #756
BHPian

^^ Doesn't look like its the end yet - Yeti puts an exclusive 'The End' at the end of his stories. I am expecting more from him. He has yet to travel back to India (in the story that is). He will say bye to TheOne and then it will be back to the airport for some other interesting episode. Even if there is nothing interesting - Yeti will write it like it's the best drama movie of the year.

Go Yeti Go.
Old 12th September 2008, 16:54   #757
Distinguished - BHPian

not over!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
There always is an end to everything either good or bad. Doesn't matter, this is an opporunity of us T-BHPians to look forward for another saga!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
^^ Doesn't look like its the end yet - Yeti puts an exclusive 'The End' at the end of his stories. I am expecting more from him.
Spot on: This is not the end. Honestly, it is pretty close to the beginning. There is a lot to go.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 12th September 2008 at 16:57.
Old 12th September 2008, 17:22   #758
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® - 1st September 2008

I decide to spend half the day alone, chilling by myself. Jenny has no such luxuries available to her, she dresses and leaves as soon as she is up.
It has been hard on her this exhibition.

She has been stressed and clearly over-worked.

I help where I can, but unfortunately there is nothing more I can do clearly till this exhibition is over for her.

I get up and look out the window. Hallelujah, it looks like a warm and sunny day. It is super-bright outside, I find my shades and shoes and off I go.

I first decide to walk through the TierGarten, deciding to take the correct path this time.

My hotel is not far from the Garten, as I reach one of the paths, I turn around and take a picture.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1888_thumb.jpg
The highest building you see in the back is my hotel.

I put my AKG's on, turn the iPod to some Moby and I'm off.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On good days like these, I find that I can walk for 6 to 8 hours with ease, only realising the tiredness when I get my feet into the hot bathtub.
One can only discover a city, its people, cultures, children, food and smells on foot.

Also I like to take my time at every corner as I love to take pictures of people. This can only be done after I have blended into the atmosphere for a while, otherwise it would be extremely rude to get in and start shooting pictures of people doing their own thing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I walk through the Garten I realise what a beautiful and free country this is. I have a smile on my face and a skip in my walk. Since I cannot use my ears anymore, my nose and eyes are on higher alert enjoying the little forest to the maximum.
I know what my destination is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Please get pics of the Reichstag!
I will walk through the park to the Reichstag/ Bundestag and get pictures of the Parliament for my friend.

But first, a few pictures of the TierGarten.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1891_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1894_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1896_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1901_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1904_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1905_thumb.jpg

I step onto the Strasse des 17 Juni, the road of 17th June. This is one of the widest and most central roads of Berlin city. As you can see, it runs bang-smack through the Tiergarten.

From maps.google
The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-picture-2_thumb.jpg

The sidewalk of the strasse is gorgeous and I take a picture of the stone that says "For the victims of the wall"
The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1910_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1911_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1912_thumb.jpg

I cross the junction and take the road to the Bundestag.

The German Parliament is sprawling and beautiful. There is tons of information available to anyone who cares to read.
The German parilament is an open-salon, with a glass dome ceiling that is open to the German citizens that wish to take a look at the proceedings.

Of course there is a long line to see the city from the high glass dome, but by prior appointment, as a citizen - you are entitled to a detailed internal tour of the parliament with all the workings explained to you clearly. After all it is "DEM DEUTSCHER VOLKE" to the German People.

As I approach I am awed by its presence and the area surrounding it. I take a few pictures.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1914_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1916_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1917_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1918_thumb.jpg
The grounds in front of the Bundestag.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1919_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1921_thumb.jpg

To be continued...
Old 12th September 2008, 17:32   #759
Distinguished - BHPian

The Yeti® at the Bundestag

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1924_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1926_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1927_thumb.jpg

I take a few more pictures and walk up to the mobile information kiosk, taking the thick English book (no, no, no charge says the young lady, smiling) and look for a good place to read it.

As I walk around the entrance I find a good spot. I climb up on the wall bordering the staircase as high as I can climb it. I notice 2 security guys trailing me with their eyes. I climb up, put my bag behind as a prop and lie down reading.
One security guy relaxes and continues watching everyone else. The other turns towards me every 30 to 40 seconds to make sure I am still there.

Nobody disturbs me. I read for a bit, then lie down on my side, propping my head up on my arm and watch the people get in and out. There is hardly any sound, except for a loud flutter that sounds like a bird.

I follow the sound, looking to the sky. Ah if this is a bird, it is a free bird.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1929_thumb.jpg
This is a great country, with a great history and a great future. I salute the flag mentally and return the information book and walk on.

Time to hit the Brandenburg Tor.
Old 12th September 2008, 18:37   #760
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant sam. So when is the Yeti travels book coming out?
Old 12th September 2008, 18:48   #761
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® - 1st September 2008, continued

I walk around the Reichstag/ Bundestag taking a few photos of the surrounding areas. It is pretty close to the Brandenburg Tor.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1934_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1935_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1936_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1937_thumb.jpg

I enter the Brandenburg Tor (For the 5th time in my life) and I am awed again. I take 3 quick shots in succession, deciding to stitch them together later. I never get around to doing this.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1940_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1941_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1942_thumb.jpg

Look up, turn around take a picture.
The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1943_thumb.jpg

Walk a few paces, turn around, take a picture.
The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1944_thumb.jpg

Walk a few paces, turn around take a picture.
The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1945_thumb.jpg

Magnificent, yet again.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1948_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1954_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1947_thumb.jpg

I find the right song on my ipod and settle down on a bench. I love benches.

I am tired and relaxed. My mind is in slow motion. I look around slowly and decide to sleep for a bit. I lie down on the bench, using my bag as a prop and try to close my eyes for a bit.
I am vaguely aware of a lady with a cameraman walking around. Looks like some travel show.

Ahhhhhh.......... I sleep for about half an hour. It is about 22 degrees and the sun is burning my face and arms.

It feels great to be alive.
Old 12th September 2008, 19:11   #762
Distinguished - BHPian

I wake up in about 30 minutes, wake up but do not get up from my position. I reach for my camera which is under my head in the bag and pull it out taking 2 pictures from my sleeping position.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1957_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1958_thumb.jpg

As I stir I realise that the lady with the camera has started walking towards me. I continue clicking.

Hello, do you speak English?
Ah, she's British.
I am dying to say I can talk English, I can walk English like Amitabh.
Yes I do. Smiling.

I'm from the BBC blah blah blah. I'd like to interview you.
What about?
It's a general interview.
Go ahead.

2 minutes later the camera is on the tripod and facing me. I am sitting on my bench. The bench belongs to me alone.

Hello, for the camera - could you state your name and tell us where you are from.
My name is Sam Kapasi and I'm from Bombay, India.

She looks mildly surprised. I think she is having trouble recognising me without theplas and children.

A few minutes discussing mundane things like what do you do and how do you like Berlin and more. She is not surprised to find out I am in the city for IFA2008.

So, Sam do you use the internet?
Yes, regularly.
Could you tell us something about the internet that has changed your life? Made a difference that you could not have achieved without it?

I first think of Team-BHP. There is something that changed my life and would have been impossible without the Internet.
But I pause for a minute and think of something closer to my heart. I smile. There is something that would have been impossible without the internet and I know what it is.

I nod and start talking.

About a year ago I fell in love with a young lady from Germany. She lives here, in this country and I live in India, 7000 kilometres away.
We do not see each other often enough, it is impossible.
However every night before I sleep, I spend at least 2 hours talking to her, seeing her face and listening to her voice.

Thanks to the internet - we are together even though we are miles apart. A relationship which would not have lasted, it would have been both impractical and impossible is a real relationship today.

She grins. She's got a great story.

So there is a real happy story about the internet. I am happy that you are happy together. How is the relationship progressing?

Beautifully. We got engaged last month and she is moving to India in the next few weeks.

She thanks me for a great interview and makes me sign a release form allowing them to use my images and videos etc.

I am out of my reverie by now, I say goodbye to my bench and start walking.
I decide to walk to the Holocaust Memorial.

I have crossed the Holocaust Memorial many times but never gone in. I had already decided to do that while I was up at the Panorama Punkt. Time to act on it now.

Next: The Holocaust memorial.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 12th September 2008 at 19:13.
Old 12th September 2008, 19:34   #763
Distinguished - BHPian

The Holocaust Memorial

Here's what Wikipedia says
Quote:
The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe (German: Denkmal für die ermordeten Juden Europas), also known as the Holocaust Memorial (German: Holocaust-Mahnmal), is a memorial in Berlin to the Jewish victims of the Holocaust, designed by architect Peter Eisenman and engineer Buro Happold.

It consists of a 19,000 square meter (4.7 acre) site covered with 2,711 concrete slabs or "stelae", arranged in a grid pattern on a sloping field. The stelae are 2.38m (7.8') long, 0.95m (3' 1.5") wide and vary in height from 0.2 m to 4.8m (8" to 15'9").

According to Eisenman's project text, the stelae are designed to produce an uneasy, confusing atmosphere, and the whole sculpture aims to represent a supposedly ordered system that has lost touch with human reason. A 2005 copy of the Foundation for the Memorial's official English tourist pamphlet, however, states that the design represents a radical approach to the traditional concept of a memorial, partly because Eisenman did not use any symbolism. An attached underground "Place of Information" (German: Ort der Information) holds the names of all known Jewish Holocaust victims, obtained from the Israeli museum Yad Vashem.

Building began on April 1, 2003 and was finished on December 15, 2004. It was inaugurated on May 10, 2005 and opened to the public on May 12 of the same year. It is located one block south of the Brandenburg Gate, in the Friedrichstadt neighborhood.

The cost of construction was approximately 25 million Euros.
25 million Euros for this? Is what my mind kept saying when I looked at the collection of cement slabs, all uneven and laid on an uneven ground.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1960_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1962_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1963_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1965_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1966_thumb.jpg

There is something decidedly ugly about this memorial and I think that was the intention in the first place.

Nowhere does it say what this is all about, but I've read about it earlier. Because I know what it was built in memory of, my mind races as I walk through the ugly cement blocks.
I think of the Nazi atrocities and the murdered Jews. Seems so strange that this was the country that all this happened in.

Perhaps there is a good reason why no German likes to talk about WWII and Herr Hitler.

He was AUSTRIAN!! said TheOne® to me once, a bit annoyed with my constant questions.

Perhaps there is a good reason why there is such a high value for human life, art, music, nature and beauty built into every young German.
If Modern Germany is the result of an ugly war - then some good came out of it after all.

Time to move back to Potsdamer Platz.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 12th September 2008 at 19:36.
Old 12th September 2008, 21:09   #764
Distinguished - BHPian

Back to Potsdamer Platz, I walk past the DB Tower again, finding another interesting angle as I walk slowly around it.
The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1968_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1969_thumb.jpg
At the entrance to the offices I find the original S-Bahn station post, carefully preserved within the glass structure of the building itself. Beautiful.

The Ritz-Carlton and other impressive buildings.
The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1970_thumb.jpg

A few remnants of the Berlin wall at Potsdamer Platz.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1971_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1972_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1973_thumb.jpg
If anyone would like a higher res image of the Berlin wall to use as a wallpaper or something else, please email me, I will send it. My first name @Team-BHP.com.

Grinning, I spot a familiar sticker behind the sign at the crossroads.
The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1974_thumb.jpg

Berlin has art everywhere on every street. Modern, classic, pseudo, statement art - but art nonetheless.
The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1976_thumb.jpg

I walk into the theatre area and spot the Blue Man Group Show.
The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1977_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1978_thumb.jpg

So many years and still running strong. I've seen it before. And Before that. And once more before that. But...
Jenny has heard of my passion for BMG. But she has not seen them.

I call her and ask her if she would like to see them.
Well, I know you love them but haven't you seen it before?
Nevermind me, I can see them everyday for the rest of my life, would YOU like to see them?
Yes I'd love to - but isn't show expensive...
You don't worry about that. Bye Bye.
Click.

I walk up to the BlueMax but it is closed. Strange. I see a sign on the glass that says that tickets to the shows at BlueMax will be sold at the Theatre Am Potsdamer Platz on Mondays.

That's just across the street. I walk there and it is closed. The sign says open at 12noon. I look at my watch, it is 11.50am. I guess I can wait.

At 11.55, I am joined by a man carrying a large remote button and a sports watch. The kind referees wear around their neck. He is staring at the sports watch which is held in his left hand as he prepares to press the button.

At 12.00 he presses the button and the doors swing open - they are motorized. I walk in and the people are ready at the ticket counters already. It has been many days that I have been in Germany and I am getting used to this exactness and efficiency.

I pick up the Blue Man program and realise that there are no shows on Monday. Fine, then I'll buy a ticket for tomorrow.
On tuesday there is only 1 show at 8pm.

The cool thing is that it is 10euros less than the shows on the other days. I walk up to the counter. Regular seats are 50 euros and premium are 60. On normal days it is 60 and 70.

I walk up to the counter and speak into the microphone

Hello do you speak English?
Yes I do.
2 tickets to the Blue Man show for tomorrow please.
For tomorrow, Tuesday, correct?
Yes, correct. There's no show today, right?
He looks at his computer. Yes, there is no show today. It is from Tuesday to Sunday.
OK so two tickets to tomorrow's show at 8pm please. Thanks.
He looks again at his computer and looks back at me.
Why don't you buy them tomorrow?
Huh? Why?
Well, if you buy them tomorrow, you will save 10 euros. If you buy them today you will pay the full price. Tomorrow they will cost you 50 or 60 euros. If you buy them now you will pay 60 or 70.
Oh? That's a bit strange,
I say. Advance booking is more expensive?
He shrugs and smiles. It's the rules.
Thanks, Tchüss!

I walk towards the bahnhof using the back route where there is a park.

It is 12.30pm. I am in the office district and I see many men and women in business attire. Some walking in a rush, some sitting on the grass with a sandwich.
I see some young people. Life is always so wonderful and colourful when the sun is out in full swing.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1979_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1980_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1981_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1982_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1983_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1984_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1985_thumb.jpg

I have enjoyed a great morning. I speak to Jenny and she says that she would like to have lunch with me. I decide to go to the messe, have lunch with her, then make a few posts on Team-BHP (We have internet at the booth of course) and then spend the other half of the day exploring the exhibition again.

I walk to the Potsdamer Platz U-Bahnhof and take the train to Theodor-Heuss Platz.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1986_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1987_thumb.jpg

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 12th September 2008 at 21:12.
Old 12th September 2008, 21:43   #765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
For some weird server reason these 2 pictures have got mixed up physically, displaying half and half (!!?) so I will post them again along with a nice image of the wall I forgot to post.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1975_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1986_thumb.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1987_thumb.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks