Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2017, 08:12   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai to launch N Performance Car at Frankfurt Motor Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH7 View Post
A performance Hyundai is definitely a win-win for us. The ' N' badging is ridiculous though. Too much similarity with BMWs M, even two of the three colours are the same. Reminds me of the first sonatas trying to look like jags. To make a serious point, wannabe badging must be ditched.
There is only a similarity when people choose to see it.. the Germans are pretty much straight-talkers and BMW when choosing the M name, chose it because they wanted to add Motorsport as a division (they split their lineup into 2 ways, the non-M models were more for the regular roads and the M models were a bit more than half-ready for the tracks). The name itself is simple - Motorsport and is widely used everywhere.

Likewise when Hyundai wanted a performance division they paid a hefty price to open one of the biggest technical centres inside the Nurburgring against the wishes of every other brand in there. They chose the name N for Nurburgring to show that their cars are Nurburgring tested. BMW also does the testing in that very place and it has become famous only due to them and not vice versa so they choose not to advertise that.

As for copying, no one argues that the Germans/Europeans are almost the first in everything.. that would make every other company copycats as Ford copied the first batch of Benz cars. Toyota formed Lexus as a brand that gave the Mercedes "look" and undercut the prices.. some examples :

Lexus Ls430 is a pure line to line copy of Mercedes W220 S-Class

Lexus Rx330 is a full copy of Mercedes ML Class

Lexus SC430 is a copy of the then Audi TT

Yes its quite obvious that Hyundai takes inspiration from the bigger brands but they did hire people form Audi, BMW, Bentley etc.. and those people will implement their signature designs for the new company. Due to my interest in car design I can quote many examples that solidifies that almost every Asian company has copied the big 2 in some way (Merc/BMW). Even today every iteration of the Honda City since its arrow-head form seems to be lifted partially from BMW and today's variant even more so, likewise with Jazz copying Volvo.

If one has the money (including that for maintenance and parts failure) then the German luxury cars are a no-brainer. Everything else are slightly unoriginal yet far better value for money. That's my view anyway.
Old 16th July 2017, 02:15   #17
NH7
BHPian

That's an amazing perspective. Yes, I didn't know the background from the Hyundai side, making my post a classic perception vs reality one. Thank you Sir!
NH7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 05:10   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
As for copying, no one argues that the Germans/Europeans are almost the first in everything..

Everything else are slightly unoriginal yet far better value for money. That's my view anyway.
Atleast when they copy, they do it in style these days.

Who better to copy BMW M division than the chief engineer for BMW's M performance itself. Albert Biermann, who was with BMW for 30 years!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 18:53   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Matt Watson - i30 N Top 10's

Good looking, good kit and a manual gearbox (Sweet). But a bit expensive IMO.

Source - YouTube
Old 31st August 2017, 19:46   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

A normal spec i30 here is shown defeating the normal spec Honda Civic in every way possible out on the road.. guess the i30 N will take the game to another level.

A dual clutch will rip a CVT apart everyday all year long. Glad to see that Hyundai is growing by leaps and bounds, specially being able to compete with and beat a 2 decade old legend like the Civic.

Last edited by dark.knight : 31st August 2017 at 19:50.
Old 28th September 2017, 22:59   #21
Team-BHP Support

Just hear the sound! The pops and gargles!

Can't believe it's a Hyundai! Evo magazine says Hyundai i30N is way more serious than the Golf GTI that it's not even comparable. Comparisons are with the mighty Megane RS.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th September 2017 at 23:07.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks