Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2015, 07:03   #1
BANNED

Hyundai to launch N Performance Car at Frankfurt Motor Show

In December 2013, Hyundai had announced its ‘N’ performance brand for “future mass-produced high-performance cars.” 21 months after the announcement, the company could display its first effort from the division at the Frankfurt Motor Show on September 15.

Australian website Go Auto reports that the Korean manufacturer may introduce a concept at next month’s Frankfurt Motor Show called the Hyundai i30 N.

Based on the Hyundai i30, this car will have a 2.0-liter, four-cylinder turbocharged unit that is expected to be up there with the best of hot hatches - in the region of 300 bhp and 400 Nm. Drive will be sent through an all-wheel drive system. The car would also have lowered ride height, rear diffuser, bigger wheels, large brakes, etc.

Hyundai has not confirmed that it will showcase the concept. More details are awaited at this point and even if the concept was showcased and approved, it may take Hyundai a further 2 years to launch the hot hatchback, placing its launch in 2017 on the 3rd generation i30’s chassis.

Source: Indian Auto Blog
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai to launch N Performance Car at Frankfurt Motor Show-2015hyundaii30frontthreequartersatthe2015genevamotorshow1024x678.jpg  

Hyundai to launch N Performance Car at Frankfurt Motor Show-2015hyundaii30interioratthe2015genevamotorshow1024x678.jpg  

Hyundai to launch N Performance Car at Frankfurt Motor Show-2015hyundaii30rearthreequartersatthe2015genevamotorshow1024x678.jpg  

Hyundai to launch N Performance Car at Frankfurt Motor Show-2014hyundaii20wrc_100449041_l.jpg  

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 14th August 2015 at 07:08.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 11:01   #2
BANNED

Re: Hyundai to launch N Performance Car at Frankfurt Motor Show

Former Vice President for BMW M Albert Biermann, is the Head of Vehicle Test and High Performance Development at Hyundai's N Division .
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 19:18   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Now there's announcement of the i20 N version as well to be released into South African & European markets at first. Here in our country the i20 has gained notoriety as a car with extremely light steering & a soft suspension that simply results in a numb ride. Now hopefully the model i20 & onwards will gain back the respect of people looking for something more than a soft cushy ride. The changes are as follows :

- 1.4 NA Engine
- 160 nm of peak torque - personally this torque figure is amazing for NA engine.
- 6 speed manual (big relief, most sporty cars are going auto)
- 115 ps, roughly 113 BHP.
- 17 inch alloys with ventilated discs all-round, 4 channel ABS+EBD
- Stiffened spring system
- High flow catalytic converter

No details about the steering though but I hope with the arrival of Albert Biermann that Hyundai finally irons out its over-assisted EPA steering which never can result in precision. Rest of the specs sound as good as they can be.

Link :http://www.worldcarfans.com/11508289...ed-with-115-ps
Old 28th August 2015, 23:55   #4
BHPian

Hope these kind of performance cars make it to Indian shores soon but I realize that I'm being too optimistic. Typical Indian market looks for VFM cars...more the money bigger the car should be or better interiors. Performance cars don't fare well in India. This is Just my opinion of the current day's Indian market trend.
Old 29th August 2015, 09:15   #5
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai has taken the wraps off the i20 N Sport.

Source: Autocar India

Quote:
The i20 N Sport gets the same 1.4 petrol engine as the standard car sold overseas, but has been tuned to deliver 114bhp and 16.3kgm of torque, unlike the 98.6bhp and 13.6kgm in regular guise. Power is sent to the front wheels through a 6-speed manual gearbox. To complement the increase in performance, the i20 N Sport also comes with stiffer spring setup, ventilated disc brakes on the front wheels and solid discs at the back, and ABS with EBD.

Visual enhancements include an aggressive body kit, new 17-inch alloy wheels, and a rear boot spoiler. It also gets a stainless steel free-flow CAT back exhaust system and N-badges on the front mudguards and rear hatchback door.

The Hyundai i20 N Sport is limited only to the global markets. In India, the i20 is sold with a choice of 1.2 petrol and 1.4 diesel motors. There is no news of an India launch of i20 N Sport yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai to launch N Performance Car at Frankfurt Motor Show-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20150828061150_h1.jpg  

Hyundai to launch N Performance Car at Frankfurt Motor Show-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20150828061153_hn2.jpg  

//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 08:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai should seriously consider selling this in India.
It is not that they will be the first to sell a hot hatch,. There is Polo and the Abarth Punto now and hopefully other car manufacturers will notice the growing small segment and introduce their own. Example - Swift Sport

Last edited by tharian : 30th August 2015 at 08:21.
Old 30th August 2015, 15:51   #7
MSC
BHPian

There is a noise in media circles that a new I20 elite with N performance is scheduled to be launched in this meet. This has been confirmed now via TBHP.
An I20 with 120 odd bhp is going to be a new opening for Hyundai. Hope it comes loaded with all disc brakes, ABS, Traction control.
The i20 is already selling in hordes and this new N powered Hyundai is surely going set sales charts on fire.
Old 8th June 2016, 03:46   #8
Team-BHP Support

http://www.topgear.com/india/car-new...mind/itemid-50

About time we started getting some news items on the N division from Hyundai. The top boss does confirm that the i30N is getting ready and is undergoing testing at the 'Ring.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 15:17   #9
Team-BHP Support

Love the wide stance of the new i30N. As per the Biermann, looks like focus is on handling (he stresses about winding UK roads) rather than outright straight line performance.

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 13:13   #10
BHPian

Another N teaser:

i20 N-Sport / 1.4-liter petrol / 6 Speed Manual / 114 hp / 160NM / 0-100 kmph in 8.9 secs / Top Speed 190 Kmph

A car designed for cornering, now that sounds like fun.

Source: Motoroids.

Last edited by Pretorian : 21st July 2016 at 13:15.
Pretorian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 10:38   #11
Team-BHP Support

Finally - A Hyundai with brilliant steering feedback? Previews can't be trusted much, but if the words are true, then times are truly changing for Hyundai.

Production version to be revealed in September.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th May 2017 at 10:41.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 15:00   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Finally - A Hyundai with brilliant steering feedback? Previews can't be trusted much, but if the words are true, then times are truly changing for Hyundai.
Actually, and I'm willing to bet on this - a humble, much more value for money Hyundai called the Getz which set the benchmark for a fun to drive Hyundai way back in 2004, will still have a better steering than the i30 N with EPS.

You may be surprised to hear this but trust me as I don't intend to exaggerate one bit - the Getz has a better feedback and precision than even the Fiat Punto, both being hydraulic assisted, of course the difference is only 19/20 in favour of Getz, and I preferred it simply because it is much more weighty compared to the Punto. Where the Fiat absolutely wins is the suspension, the Getz rides flat and is very composed in hairpin bends but the Punto simply is much more stable, rides more flat and noiseless and is even more cocooning. I loved driving both cars for every bit though.

Hyundai got a bad rep for poorly tuned suspensions/steering since the first gen i20 and every model after that, I'd say they had enough engineering talent without Albert Biermann and that too a decade ago, they just consciously seemed to believe that soft/roly-poly suspensions and overly assisted steerings were what public liked, and that turned out to be disastrous. Hopefully those days are done, what they need to do next is to have ALL cars tuned for neutral, stable ride - neither hard nor soft. I'm sure the N models will have a bone jarring ride (looking at the tyre sidewall height) and they will remain a niche choice for people in Europe and America, for India I'm all for a soft yet mature ride.

Last edited by dark.knight : 19th May 2017 at 15:09.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 15:47   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
You may be surprised to hear this but trust me as I don't intend to exaggerate one bit - the Getz has a better feedback and precision
Not surprised, since I've driven the Accent quite a lot and found it very good in terms of steering feedback. Even the suspension was better than the Verna which followed later, and the steering became infamous with the i20.

That said, out of all modern generation Hyundai cars - this new N should be the benchmark.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 14:25   #14
Team-BHP Support

Finally -

The Hyundai i30 N.

Along with an interview of the man behind it. Clearly says that they don't care about being the fastest, but the N is going to be all about the fun to be had behind the wheel -

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th July 2017 at 14:34.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 04:20   #15
NH7
BHPian

A performance Hyundai is definitely a win-win for us. The ' N' badging is ridiculous though. Too much similarity with BMWs M, even two of the three colours are the same. Reminds me of the first sonatas trying to look like jags. To make a serious point, wannabe badging must be ditched.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks