Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2015, 13:40   #16
BHPian

Re: All-new Volkswagen Tiguan spied undisguised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
VW will face a tough choice. If you look at the landscape when its launched, it will have to compete with the Fortuner, Endeavour et al. In any case, anything priced within a kissing distance of Fortuner is a "kiss of death". People will simply pay the extra lakh or so more an go for the Fortuner.

I am expecting Fortuner to be within the same ballpark as the current Santa Fe with an entry level trim (2WD MT) which will be far lower. So, expect around 32- 36 Lakh on road.

Ergo, VW can't really price it beyond 32- 33 Lakh and hope for volumes !

Which brings us to the interesting topic of where they will slot it vis-à-vis Yeti. One option of course, is to discontinue the Yeti (which hardly sells), and launch an aggressive assault by launching the Tiguan in a broad range of trims and options. That can start with a petrol MT + AT with the 1.4 TSI (I think the market is ready for it) and go all the way with the 2.0 TDI + DSG for the top trim.

The platform has been localised somewhat with the Octavia (and the upcoming new Superb), and the supply chain for engines and transmission
are well set. All it needs now, is some ambition, and a dollop of gumption, and (may I dare whisper it), a healthy disregard for artificial "market survey" type product strategy. Launch, and be agile in tweaking product strategy over the first 6 months based on response.
I agree that VW's strategy remains to be seen. I think I am going to be in the market soon and I am going to be a first time SUV buyer. I am not crazy for an auto and a 4x4 but a 4x2 soft roader would be nice but must have diesel and MT. My present ride is a VW diesel Vento so I know and trust the brand. If they offer something in the range of 20-25 lakhs on road in form of the Tiguan I am buying it since I am a great fan of German diesel.
Now the Ford Endeavour is a close competitor and very butch and robust (at least looks like from the test-drives and reviews) and I read they are going to be CKD so the predicted price will be high. Post launch if Ford do a Beemer and localise and drop prices on the Endy it would be a very very interesting scenario.
Old 15th September 2015, 14:06   #17
BHPian

From the article in Autocar (http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...rt-397485.aspx), India bound Tiguan is going to be long wheel based version with 7 seat configuration. This would mean, it could very well compete with the likes of Fortuner or Santa Fe.

Cheers,
Ardy
Old 16th September 2015, 20:16   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

The stunning Tiguan in the promotional video.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/al...os-99988.html#

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th September 2015 at 20:18.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 23:01   #19
BHPian

Wow!! looks stunning indeed. Wonderfully made video as well. Brilliant design combining
ageless and modern together.
Old 16th September 2015, 23:05   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

The 2016 Tiguan has finally been completely unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 16th September 2015 at 23:08.
Old 24th September 2015, 02:22   #21
BHPian

More pics
All-new Volkswagen Tiguan spied undisguised-t2.jpg

All-new Volkswagen Tiguan spied undisguised-t3.jpg

All-new Volkswagen Tiguan spied undisguised-t4.jpg

All-new Volkswagen Tiguan spied undisguised-t5.jpg

All-new Volkswagen Tiguan spied undisguised-t6.jpg

All-new Volkswagen Tiguan spied undisguised-t9.jpg

All-new Volkswagen Tiguan spied undisguised-t10.jpg

All-new Volkswagen Tiguan spied undisguised-t11.jpg

All-new Volkswagen Tiguan spied undisguised-t12.jpg

All-new Volkswagen Tiguan spied undisguised-t15.jpg
kutts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 08:09   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

2016 Volkswagen Tiguan first reviews gets positive response.

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th February 2016 at 08:12.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 20:32   #23
BHPian

Autocarindia's first drive review of the all new VW Tiguan looks promising: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...ve-401448.aspx
However "...the Tiguan will likely be priced in the region of Rs 30 lakh..." expected price seems to be steep given that Honda CRV is lower priced and Hyundai Tucson is expected to be launched at much lower levels. At INR 30 lakhs Tiguan will be competing with the likes of Fortuner, Endeavour and Santa Fe which I think are a notch above in terms of size & offerings.
Old 15th June 2016, 15:15   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

First Volkswagen Tiguan LWB Body-in-White Rolls off Assembly Line - Mexico

All-new Volkswagen Tiguan spied undisguised-1.jpg

Quote:
Although official production of the Tiguan LWB model isn’t slated until the first quarter of 2017, the early body-in-white allows the automaker “to check the calibration of body shop equipment and processes.
Quote:
Volkswagen de Mexico will build the new Tiguan LWB at the plant in Puebla for all global markets besides China.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/first...assembly-line/
Old 15th June 2016, 15:18   #25
Team-BHP Support

Like the Jetta, kits might be shipped over here. Nice margins to be made!
Old 15th June 2016, 15:56   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Top Gear India's latest issue has a nice article on the Tiguan.

Nowadays, the Yeti which is one notch below the Tiguan in terms of positioning, is priced at about 28-29 L on Road.

The speculation about the Tiguan is that it will be priced at about 28-32 Lacs EX SHOWROOM.

This puts it squarely in the Prestige or Entry Luxe category of small/ compact SUV. This segment is likely to appeal only to a sophisticated, evolved kind of buyer who has the money to spend and who values the compactness, comforts, features and so on that the Tiguan brings to the table. At best this will be a "niche" product much like the Yeti is.

Im also speculating that since the Jeep Renegade is also testing furiously, that when it comes in, it will also be a CKD vehicle and will end up being priced quite close.

These vehicles are of significant appeal to the new breed of buyer too. No longer is it ONLY about "SIZE' or "Presence", except for those who actually need the space or those who have lots of money and want to create an impression but at the same time, who have not evolved in their thinking, to go beyond mere Size.

Hence I don't agree with many of the posts here that a consumer who is faced with the choice between a 30 lac Tiguan or a 30 Lac Jeep Renegade or a 30 Lac Fortuner, will always go for a Fortuner every time. Thats simply not true. Yes the Fortuner is a big hit. But it is not the ideal vehicle for everyone.

With increasing number of offerings/ choice in this Compact SUV and Crossover Space, that is the segment which is likely to grow greatly in the coming years. This is logical, given that space on the roads, parking spaces etc are increasingly challenging and overall vehicle population seems to be only ever increasing.

But this still will be an expensive vehicle given that it is a VW and ought not to be priced quite so high...

For example the drive-away price of this Tiguan in Australia comes to about 35K AUD - which is about 17.5 Lacs!
Old 15th June 2016, 16:09   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

I have traveled in Q3 a few times and felt it was a premium hatch on heels. I find a striking resemblance between the Q3 and the Tiguan. This looks like a poor man's (relatively poor) Q3, both from outside as well as inside. I can see that quite a few interior bits are also shared with the pricier cousin.

Last edited by ashis89 : 15th June 2016 at 16:10.
Old 16th June 2016, 16:16   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

2017 Volkswagen Tiguan: Australian specifications revealed. To launch in September.

All models get low-speed autonomous brakes, lane assist, fatigue detection, an active bonnet, multi-collision braking, parking assist and a rear-view camera.

All-new Volkswagen Tiguan spied undisguised-volkswagentiguan2.jpg

Five engines will be offered. Under the bonnet of the base 110TSI will be a 1.4-litre turbo-petrol with 110kW/250Nm, matched to six-speed manual or six-speed DSG transmissions, with a front-wheel drive layout.

There will be two 2.0-litre turbo-petrols on offer, the 132TSI with 132kW/320Nm and the 162TSI with its 162kW/350Nm engine shared with the Golf GTI. Both of these will come with a DSG only and 4Motion AWD.

The diesel side of the ledger in Australia will comprise two offerings, both with 2.0-litre capacities. These are the 110TDI with 110kW/340Nm, and the 140TDI with 140kW/400Nm. The 176kW/500Nm 176TDI isn’t coming to Australia, which is a shame. These are also DSG-only and AWD-only.

In the familiar Volkswagen naming structure, Tiguans will come in Trendline, Comfortline and Highline specifications with various engine choices.

Tiguan Trendline (110TSI manual and DSG):

Front Assist with City Emergency Brake
Lane assist
17-inch alloy wheels
Park Assist,
Rear-view camera
Tyre pressure indicator
LED tail lights
8.0-inch Composition Media infotainment system
App-Connect (Apple CarPlay/Android Auto)
Automatic headlights and rain-sensing windscreen wipers
Cruise control
Leather multi-function steering wheel.

Tiguan Comfortline (110TSI DSG, 110TDI DSG and 132TSI DSG) additions:
Driving profile selection with 4Motion Active Control
Three-zone climate control air conditioning
Satellite navigation
Colour multi-function display
Folding table on front seat backrests
Front fog lights
Carpet floor mats
Extended roof storage console
Luggage floor net
Chrome roof rails and window surrounds
Painted bumper inserts
Storage drawer under the front seats

Tiguan Highline (140TDI DSG and 162TSI DSG) additions:
LED headlights with dynamic cornering lights
18-inch alloy wheels
Keyless access
Electronically-operated tailgate with Easy Open and Close
8.0-inch Discover Pro satellite-navigation system
Vienna leather-appointed upholstery
Heated comfort sport front seats
Electronically-adjustable driver’s seat
Interior ambient lighting and LED reading lights
Power folding door mirrors
Steering wheel-mounted gearshift paddles
Dark tinted rear side and rear windows
Premium LED tail lights
Chrome strip in the front lower air intake

Luxury Package (Comfortline)
Vienna leather-appointed upholstery, electronically adjustable driver’s seat, heated front seats, power folding door mirrors, keyless access, electronically-operated tailgate with Easy Open and Close and a panoramic electric glass sunroof.

Driver Assistance package (Comfortline and Highline)
Adaptive cruise control, Side Assist with Rear Traffic Alert, Active Info display, power folding door mirrors and area view.

R-Line Package (Highline)
R-Line body kit, R-Line interior, 20-inch alloy wheels, adaptive chassis control and progressive steering.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/454191/2...ions-revealed/

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th June 2016 at 16:21.
Old 22nd June 2016, 13:42   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

India bound Tiagun gets Top Euro NCAP rating!

All-new Volkswagen Tiguan spied undisguised-ti.jpg
All-new Volkswagen Tiguan spied undisguised-capture.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd June 2016 at 13:46.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 08:54   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

The stunning Tiguan seen in Germany,

All-new Volkswagen Tiguan spied undisguised-20160628_151548.jpg
All-new Volkswagen Tiguan spied undisguised-20160628_151558.jpg
All-new Volkswagen Tiguan spied undisguised-20160628_151607.jpg
Closed Thread

Most Viewed