Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2015, 15:27   #1
BHPian

Alleged: Why drivers in China intentionally kill the pedestrians they hit

I was just going through some news when I stumbled upon this. The situation is way worse than India. Chinese intentionally kill the pedestrians they hit and get away with some fines or minimal jail time.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/wo...rians-they-hit
Metallicar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 09:02   #2
BHPian

re: Alleged: Why drivers in China intentionally kill the pedestrians they hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
I was just going through some news when I stumbled upon this. The situation is way worse than India. Chinese intentionally kill the pedestrians they hit and get away with some fines or minimal jail time.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/wo...rians-they-hit

Humanity has stooped down to such an extent that people think that killing an injured person is far more economical than injuring. I always thought that Chinese laws are far less corrupt able than the Indian law but I was wrong.
Thank god that this is not the mentality of people in India.
technicalytuned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 11:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

It all looks good when you are seated on your chair reading up stuff, but imagine yourself at the wheel, what would you do? They say, character is what you do in the dark, meaning, what would you do if no-one was watching and you knew you would not get caught.

Very sad.
TheARUN is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 12:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
It all looks good when you are seated on your chair reading up stuff, but imagine yourself at the wheel, what would you do? They say, character is what you do in the dark, meaning, what would you do if no-one was watching and you knew you would not get caught.

Very sad.
But they know they are being watched. They know there are people on road watching them but they still do it because they know they can get away with it. Article mentions even 4-5 eye witnesses are not believed and the person gets free. Even to think of something like this is scary. Killing toddlers like this is too much.
Old 6th September 2015, 12:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am aghast reading about it - clearly textbook example of perverse incentives at work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by technicalytuned View Post
Humanity has stooped down to such an extent that people think that killing an injured person is far more economical than injuring. I always thought that Chinese laws are far less corrupt able than the Indian law but I was wrong.
Thank god that this is not the mentality of people in India.
That is because Indian law hasnt gotten a similar provision (or which is similarly enforced). Our Indian road users are not incapable of any less brutality I suppose.
phamilyman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 13:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
...That is because Indian law hasnt gotten a similar provision (or which is similarly enforced). Our Indian road users are not incapable of any less brutality I suppose.
No no. I feel in China, because the people don't have siblings, they have actually become inhuman.

India has a social structure of family system that works (though some say it's slowly crumbling), thanks to which, largely, society is still empathetic to others.

I read this news yesterday morning, but it painted such a grim picture of society that I lost heart thinking people following Team BHP should not be exposed to (what's usually considered a sane ) section of the world that considered it's 'OK' to kill someone on the road in such a way!

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 6th September 2015 at 13:36.
GrammarNazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 16:03   #7
BHPian

Chinese laws are a cruel joke and the citizens seem to follow them to the letter. If the laws seem to provide incentives to run over and kill rather than run over and cripple, they are even ready to kill. What surprises me is how they can brutally run over multiple times instead of saving them after hitting once. So much for law and order.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 16:37   #8
Team-BHP Support

I have major doubts about the credibility of this article. I have a feeling the Slate.com author fabricated this story. And to make the article believable, he is showing a couple of isolated cases as evidence of the problem.

Now this is done in sections of Western media to show China (and its system of governance) in poor light. The same is done for countries like Iran and North Korea too.

Intentionally killing a human is not possible for any random person on the road. A normal person's brain is not wired for such an act.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 17:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I have major doubts about the credibility of this article. I have a feeling the Slate.com author fabricated this story. And to make the article believable, he is showing a couple of isolated cases as evidence of the problem.

Now this is done in sections of Western media to show China (and its system of governance) in poor light. The same is done for countries like Iran and North Korea too.

Intentionally killing a human is not possible for any random person on the road. A normal person's brain is not wired for such an act.
It might be true since a soldier also requires training for killing enemies and also gets sleepless nights after that. And killing a person is possible for only those people who are not in their senses due to mental reasons or due to drugs.
Old 6th September 2015, 17:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
No sane and rational person can go to such lengths and resort to such brutal behaviour on the road or anywhere, no matter how high the incentives.

My friend who was in a major accident involving his four wheeler and a bike recalled how numb he was after seeing all the blood that he could not even remember his own home telephone number.He was shivering from head to toe and almost fainted on the road side.He was in no position to drive that a passerby drove the injured man in my friends car to the hospital.

I too am of the opinion that the author has linked isolated incidents in order to create a gut wrenching write up to show Chinese drivers in a poor light.

Another possibility is that the scenarios outlined above were not accidents but premeditated cold blood murder.
Old 7th September 2015, 09:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

This law has been reported many times. you can find articles about it from 2010 onwards on the first page of results itself, so there may be some substance to it.
There was also news of how a woman got sued for helping a victim, by the victim.
SO, noone helps. Apparently the victim has to document to the helper that "You dod not hurt me. I was hurt, and youre just only helping me after the accident. No fault of yours in causing me hurt."
Wow!
Old 7th September 2015, 11:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:

I'd be very surprised if this article is a fake. I don't think it is. The Chinese have no regard for human life. I've been to China (Beijing) and was shocked to see how they treat lower class people (especially beggars). It is way worse than anything you can ever imagine.

What you assume here as being "normal" is the result of culture and education. If you let someone grow up with no rules and no awareness of what is good/bad, well, then you end up with China. This has been seen by many of my friends who have spent months in China. Everyone says the same thing: In China it's you and your family first, everyone else can go to hell. Also, in China, a lifetime of compensation is most of the time more money than a single flat payment for causing death. So killing someone is actually cheaper than injuring them.

Also, any who have not visited China should be aware that people there do not feel protected by their government. They feel oppressed. They know they can't openly criticize the system or they will be hassled or sent to prison. So, it is every man for himself and naturally, with that kind of attitude, you get human behaviour like this. They're not naturally evil, they just don't have the benefits we do. (As an example, just watch this video; almost everyone knows about the events of June 4th - which was the Tiananmen Square massacre, but they all refuse to talk about it, most of them are even terrified): .
Jeeper1941 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 18:22   #13
BANNED

Hi. Well, living in mainland China since 12 years. Having owned various cars in mainland China from skoda to bmw to present day c class Benz, there is an economic reason behind this. For example I am driving in mainland China, if get involved in a car accident and unfortunately I am the driver and other person gets injured, I need to pay for his medical bills which can be from 100 rmb to even 10 million rmb! Depends on his treatment because hospitals good are not cheap in China. Suppose he is killed and he is poor, the convict can pay 1 or 2 million rmb to his relatives and go free, so its cheaper for someone to kill a person in a car accident than to pay his medical bills as a normal human being. I feel ashamed to write this but is a fact of life.

Moderator's note: Please provide proper punctuation while posting on the forums. Improves readability for other users.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th September 2015 at 20:05. Reason: Please read the note posted above.
narry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 19:14   #14
BHPian

Re: Alleged: Why drivers in China intentionally kill the pedestrians they hit

After going through the article, I believe the Chinese were better off riding bicycles like they did in the eighties. They might have earned a lot of money with the economic reforms but their mindset is still primitive.

Last edited by suv100 : 7th September 2015 at 19:16.
suv100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 19:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Alleged: Why drivers in China intentionally kill the pedestrians they hit

It's unbelievably inhuman. Shocks me to the core that we live in a world like this. I still find it extremely difficult to believe this article.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks