Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2015, 13:13   #1
Team-BHP Support

UK: Porsche 911 facelift unveiled

Porsche has unveiled the facelifted 911 Carrera and Carrera S in the UK. Both the models get some mechanical and cosmetic updates.

UK: Porsche 911 facelift unveiled-porsche1.jpg

Mechanical changes to the 911 Carrera and Carrera S include new engines and a reworked chassis. Both models are now powered by 3.0-litre, 6-cylinder, turbocharged petrol units. The Carrera's engine produces 365 BHP and 450 Nm of torque, while that of the Carrera S develops 414 BHP and 500 Nm of torque. This reflects an increase of 20 BHP and 60 Nm in the case of both cars.

UK: Porsche 911 facelift unveiled-porsche3.jpg

Porsche claims that the 911 Carrera Coupe with Porsche-Doppelkupplung (PDK) and Sport Chrono Package does the 0-100 kph sprint in 4.2 seconds, while the 911 Carrera S with PDK and Sport Chrono Package does it in just 3.9 seconds. The top speeds of the Carrera and Carrera S are rated at 295 kph and 307 kph respectively. The new engines are also claimed to be almost 12% more efficient than before.

UK: Porsche 911 facelift unveiled-porsche4.jpg

The 911 also gets a re-engineered chassis and new dampers. The car's ride height can be lowered by 10 mm thanks to the PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management). The Carrera S comes with an option of rear-axle steering as well. The width of the rear wheels and tyres has been increased too.

Changes to the exterior are minor. These include new bi-xenon headlights with four-point daytime running lights, door handles without recess covers, a redesigned engine lid with vertical louvers, new tail lights with four-point brake lights and redesigned alloy wheels.

UK: Porsche 911 facelift unveiled-porsche2.jpg

Coming to the interiors, the car gets a new infotainment system. The Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system, as it is called, has a satellite navigation system, a seven-inch colour touchscreen, voice control and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity. The smartphone tray is integrated in the centre armrest. There is an option of connecting an iPhone to the PCM to use Apple CarPlay. The navigation system provides real-time traffic information and Google Earth and Google Streetview are also integrated into the system. Other components of the PCM are Porsche Car Connect and the Porsche Connect app, which can be used for such functions as remote control of vehicle functions, transfer of destinations to the PCM for navigation and use of music streaming services by third-party providers via the PCM.

The 911 is equipped with a number of driver assistance systems and safety features.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th September 2015 at 13:16.
Aditya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 16:09   #2
BHPian

Re: UK: Porsche 911 facelift unveiled

The changes are really subtle. Im not a fan of the rear lights and the new engine lid - which I think were necessitated by the new engines, but that rear fascia really looks nice. The vents give it a more top-end feel to the base carrera.
Saarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 18:06   #3
BHPian

Looks really subtle for a facelift.
Only thing I hate to digest is the Turbo.
First Ferrari now Porsche; wonder who is next?
God save the NA's.
#enzowho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 19:30   #4
BHPian

Yup, I too don't like the turbo charging bit. From what I understand Porsche has already taken a lot of steps to improve the efficiency of their NA engines. An additional 10-12% efficiency gain somehow at the cost loosing so much feel and stuff does not make sense to me.

All I hope is that they don't turbo charge every engine in the 911 range. I hope they still keep a few models with the NA one.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 14:33   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by #enzowho View Post
Only thing I hate to digest is the Turbo.
God save the NA's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Yup, I too don't like the turbo charging bit. From what I understand Porsche has already taken a lot of steps to improve the efficiency of their NA engines. An additional 10-12% efficiency gain somehow at the cost loosing so much feel and stuff does not make sense to me.
Completely agreed. Nothing comes close to the pleasure of high-revving a fast naturally-aspirated petrol at 7,000 rpm & beyond.

Turbos might bring more efficiency, and they're a sure-shot way of adding more power to smaller engines. But certain cars / brands should retain their purity.

It's hilarious to see some over-the-top cars & concepts talk about efficiency. Example: F1. Downsizing race car engines? Sure, like that's going to make any difference. Or closer home, a Mercedes S500 with a start / stop system - why buy the V8 . These won't be efficient, aren't meant to be efficient and will never be efficient.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 23:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's hilarious to see some over-the-top cars & concepts talk about efficiency. Example: F1. Downsizing race car engines? Sure, like that's going to make any difference. Or closer home, a Mercedes S500 with a start / stop system - why buy the V8 . These won't be efficient, aren't meant to be efficient and will never be efficient.
Efficiency is one way to go while the other reason would be taking environmental factors into concern.
But what I do not get is these kinda cars are not mass sellers so I doubt they would have any form of substantial effect on the environment!
Maybe the experts can weigh in on this.
At present Lamborghini is the only manufacturer that has't gone turbo.
Hopefully they retain their NA V10 and V12 for a long way to go until I could afford one.

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2015 at 08:23. Reason: Fixing quote
#enzowho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks