Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2015, 13:28   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Porsche Mission E Concept (Tesla Model S killer)

Porsche Mission E Concept (Tesla Model S killer)-2015597424porschemissioneconcept.jpg

Porsche Mission E Concept (Tesla Model S killer)-2015597432porschemissioneconcept.jpg

Porsche Mission E Concept (Tesla Model S killer)-2015597428porschemissioneconcept.jpg

Porsche Mission E Concept (Tesla Model S killer)-2015597426porschemissioneconcept.jpg

Porsche Mission E Concept (Tesla Model S killer)-2015597430porschemissioneconcept.jpg

This radically styled car is an all electric 600 PS AWD concept with an driving range of 500 km.

It is capable of doing the 0-100 km/h sprint in 3.5 sec.

Porsche have't confirmed anything about production model but it definitely seems this will be the building block for the future Panameras.

Source

Last edited by karan561 : 15th September 2015 at 13:35.
karan561 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 14:59   #2
BHPian

Re: Porsche Mission E Concept (Tesla Model S killer)

The body line actually looks a lot like what you can see in the spy pics of the next-gen Panamera. I think it looks fantastic!

In terms of fighting the Model S, once the germans start engineering electric cars, I think it's going to be a revolution.
Saarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 15:25   #3
BHPian

Styling is elegant and futuristic. As Saarth quoted, once the Germans start engineering electric cars, it will be a revolution. Contrary to this I think, the revolution has already started by Tesla. I believe it is Tesla who made these traditional companies to think in new way.

Germans are really coming late to the party. Tesla Supercharger network will be really tough to match for these companies.

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2015 at 09:25. Reason: Language
sushantr5 is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 15th September 2015, 15:56   #4
BHPian

Interesting development! How nice to see such futuristic models!
Hope they make their production models as nice, and their electric cars get successful in a big way.
I see Tesla, as an R&D company, providing a completely different perspective for others to follow. Though other auto companies might challenge Tesla or even make hugely successful production models, but still the initiator of the revolution will be Tesla.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 15:59   #5
Team-BHP Support

A nice video reveal of the Mission E concept-

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 16:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Styling is elegant and futuristic. As Saarth quoted, once the Germans start engineering electric cars, it will be a revolution. Contrary to this I think, the revolution has already started by Tesla. I believe it is Tesla who made these traditional companies to think in new way.

Germans are really coming late to the party. Tesla Supercharger network will be really tough to match for these companies.
I completely agree, but it's not what I meant. Maybe I should have chosen my words better.

I meant the Germans have the capabilities to bring electric cars to the mainstream. Agreed Tesla started the electric car revolution and have come pretty far on their own right, but with their capabilities they will never be a mass market brand.

The germans, once they get the engineering right can make it available throughout their range and really bring the electric car revolution to the mainstream.

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2015 at 09:26. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 15th September 2015, 16:02   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: Mission E Concept Live @ Frankfurt Auto Show;

Porsche Mission E Concept (Tesla Model S killer)-porschemissioneconceptrevealedvideolivephotos_11.jpg

Porsche Mission E Concept (Tesla Model S killer)-porschemissioneconceptrevealedinfrankfurtwith600electrichorsesvideo_15.jpg

Porsche Mission E Concept (Tesla Model S killer)-porschemissioneconceptrevealedinfrankfurtwith600electrichorsesvideo_36.jpg

Image Source
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 16:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
The germans, once they get the engineering right can make it available throughout their range and really bring the electric car revolution to the mainstream.
Actually in my California visit in Oct 2013, it seemed Tesla had pretty much managed it - whether it was the supercharging station rollout, or a sales/service network. Tesla was about as common in those parts as a 5-/7- series in Gurgaon would be (Palo Alto / Mountain View areas).

I'm not sure we should under-rate Tesla given how much they've achieved till date.
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 18:16   #9
BHPian

A concept does not compete with Tesla in any way. It is just proof how far behind Porsche is. A concept can easily take 5 years to production.

This car looks quite cramped on the inside and it isn't even nearly as fast as the Tesla is right now.

Tesla does not stand still. By the time this car comes out, Tesla will still be about 5 years ahead.
charlessuresh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 20:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlessuresh View Post
This car looks quite cramped on the inside and it isn't even nearly as fast as the Tesla is right now.
Its just a concept. So actual dimensions will most probably differ.
The first pic. in the the thread remind me of animaed character Big Hero 6. But the side profile is good, and the rear three quarters with the illuminated tail lamps, looks too good. Either the the front part should be elongated or the drop in angle of the hood should be less.
I love the minimalistic interior, especially the steering.
Sigh, very few of the things from these concepts we get to see in the road going models.
Old 5th December 2015, 13:00   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Porsche approves rival to Tesla Model S - To arrive in 2020.
Porsche Mission E Concept (Tesla Model S killer)-1.jpg

The Mission E will complement a lineup comprising the 911, the smaller Cayman sports car, the Boxster roadster, the four-door Panamera sedan and the Cayenne and Macan SUVs. Porsche’s high-performance 918 Spyder has been sold out as production was limited to safeguard exclusivity.

Takes on Tesla,
Quote:
Porsche’s electric car will be “better than a Tesla,” . “We respect all competitors, also Tesla, and that is the reason why we have taken a close look at the Model S, as well as at every BMW, Mercedes or something else,” said Mueller.

Tesla “did a very good job, especially in terms of connectivity. Some things about the car itself could be better, but OK. That is our competition,”.
Quote:
Porsche has approved a 1 billion-euro ($1.09 billion) project to produce the battery-powered sports car, the Volkswagen Group unit said today in a statement. It will be manufactured near the company's headquarters in Stuttgart and will create 1,000 jobs
Quote:
The 600-horsepower Mission E will be designed to drive more than 500km (310 miles) before needing a recharge, Porsche said. The battery can reach 80 percent of capacity in about 15 minutes, about half the time needed by Tesla’s Model S to recharge for a 270-km (168-mile) driving range.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...move-beyond-vw
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 12:27   #12
BHPian

This beauty is again in news today -
Quote:
The concept model is capable of sprinting from 0-100 km/h in less than 3.5 seconds and 0-200 km/h in less than 12 seconds
Source - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/50086922.cms
Old 16th December 2015, 15:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
While reading the article above, I noticed the following:-
Quote:
To assist in operating the vehicle, the car features eye-tracking and gesture-control functions, which include holograms that allow the driver to grab apps out of the air, according to Porsche.
Such technology till date was mostly associated with X-Box gesture consoles and other similar ones. Little had one thought (of-course, the car makers did) that cars would have the same technology. BMW 7 series is also going with similar technology. Sounds good. This is the road from a niche technology, to a technology of the masses
Old 26th December 2015, 19:53   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking about commitments by employees? Porsche Workers Agree To Get Paid Less In Order To Build The Mission E !

Workers at the Zuffenhausen plant agreed to a series of cost-cutting measures in order for Porsche to build the Tesla-rivalling Mission E there.

Quote:
These include steps to raise the workweek from 34 to 35 hours and reduce a part of a scheduled pay increase between 2016 and 2025

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/12/por...paid-less.html
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 19:49   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Porsche Mission E on course for 2020 launch.
Porsche Mission E Concept (Tesla Model S killer)-porschemissionemule005.jpg
Quote:
Development of the electric Porsche Mission E is well underway, as evidenced by pictures of a Panamera-based car testing in the Arctic Circle.

The Tesla Model S-rivalling model, which is referred to as J1 internally and nicknamed Pajun (Panamera Junior) by the media, was given the green light for production in 2015 and is set to go on sale in 2020.

It has been conceived to sit on a bespoke platform designed to accommodate a lithium ion battery pack capable of providing the car with a range of more than 330 miles. In combination with two electric motors, the sleek four-door promises a 0-62mph time of just 3.5sec.
Porsche Mission E Concept (Tesla Model S killer)-porschemissionemule008.jpg
Porsche Mission E Concept (Tesla Model S killer)-porschemissionemule009.jpg

Link

Most Viewed