Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2016, 07:32   #106
BANNED

Re: Guide: First-time car ownership in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I think it should have read Car Max has very few sub $ 10.000 cars
For newer used cars at a great price delivered to your door, checkout beepi.com Incredible service, car delivered to your doorstep on a flatbed, you dont like it, return it within one week. A friend of mine got it delivered, it was in pristine condition, easily $2k lesser than Carmax for a $30k car.
Old 8th March 2016, 07:45   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
For newer used cars at a great price delivered to your door, checkout beepi.com Incredible service, car delivered to your doorstep on a flatbed, you dont like it, return it within one week. A friend of mine got it delivered, it was in pristine condition, easily $2k lesser than Carmax for a $30k car.
Vroom is also another service that offers pretty much the same features. They have their showroom in Texas. I have looked at their listings and they are very competitively priced. No questions asked 7 day return policy and they even buy your car for more than what Carmax offers, according some other forums.

This is an interesting article that compares them both: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...ieds/32296841/
Old 9th March 2016, 02:00   #108
Senior - BHPian

Btw, wanted to let you know that I ended up buying a Corolla from Hertz since I am expected to stay here only for an year or so. Have been renting this car for a few weeks after my arrival here before I checked with them if I can buy it. It went through some internal process which took about a month after which they agreed. Overall itss a bit of a lengthy procedure, mainly due to my limited credit history here, but I managed to complete the transaction in late January. I also did a complete check up of the car in a FNG. Experience has been wonderful so far. The car is a Feb 2015 model driven about 19k kms. Paid 13.1 k all inclusive. Will post detailed report later in another thread.
Old 10th March 2016, 02:18   #109
Senior - BHPian

Settling on a Corolla soon for a few months, will transfer to my spouse and get something better.

LE Plus model comes with fabric seats and I hate them. Does the concept of Art leather exist in US? I am not able to locate anything cheaper than $500-600. Also need switched type steering covers.
Old 10th March 2016, 20:31   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Settling on a Corolla soon for a few months, will transfer to my spouse and get something better.

LE Plus model comes with fabric seats and I hate them. Does the concept of Art leather exist in US? I am not able to locate anything cheaper than $500-600. Also need switched type steering covers.
Is this what you are looking for??
http://katzkin.com/
http://www.shopsar.com/toyota-coroll...kin-toycor.htm

Very reputed company.

Last edited by Jomz : 10th March 2016 at 20:33.
Old 10th March 2016, 23:59   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Is this what you are looking for??
http://katzkin.com/
http://www.shopsar.com/toyota-coroll...kin-toycor.htm

Very reputed company.
Yes, but look at the cost. I thought $400 was a possibility. I don't see for that range.
Old 11th March 2016, 01:03   #112
Senior - BHPian

Btw one the advantage of fabric seats that i realized recently is that they don't heat up as much as leather, same for cold weather as well.
Old 12th March 2016, 00:24   #113
Senior - BHPian

Guide: First-time car ownership in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Btw one the advantage of fabric seats that i realized recently is that they don't heat up as much as leather, same for cold weather as well.
I agree. People upgrade to high end fabric. Issue for me is dust and with kids maintainence is difficult. Fake leather goes by name of PU/vinyl here. Need to search. For me interiors matter most.

Last edited by manson : 26th July 2018 at 16:21.
Old 5th April 2016, 19:20   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree. People upgrade to high end fabric. Issue for me is dust and with kids maintainence is difficult. Fake leather goes by name of PU/vinyl here. Need to search. For me interiors matter most.
Finally got perforated leather from Clazzio. Good quality I must say and tight fit except for the portion that touches your back. $450 and free shipping, came in 3 days.
Also got wheelskins for the steering wheel, they are stitch on type and excellent quality for $49. Both were done DIY and took a lot of time to finish.

Have a quick question on license plates. How many days does it usually take for the DMV to send your plates? Also what is the process if you change your address?

Last edited by mail4ajo : 5th April 2016 at 19:22.
Old 5th April 2016, 19:44   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have a quick question on license plates. How many days does it usually take for the DMV to send your plates? Also what is the process if you change your address?
Usually the dealer gets your plates by a week or so. You can ride in that temp plates for 15 days i guess.

Once you change address most DMV's have online option to update your address and there by generate a sticker that you can paste on the back of your license. You dont have to change the license at this point. Registration renewal and many such options are online.
Old 5th April 2016, 22:50   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Usually the dealer gets your plates by a week or so. You can ride in that temp plates for 15 days i guess.

Once you change address most DMV's have online option to update your address and there by generate a sticker that you can paste on the back of your license. You dont have to change the license at this point. Registration renewal and many such options are online.

In Kansas and Missouri you could just go to the DMV to register your car and you would walk out of their office with your plate(s). They even let me chose from several ones which one I wanted.
Jeroen
Old 6th April 2016, 07:01   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Finally got perforated leather from Clazzio. Good quality I must say and tight fit except for the portion that touches your back. $450 and free shipping, came in 3 days.
Also got wheelskins for the steering wheel, they are stitch on type and excellent quality for $49. Both were done DIY and took a lot of time to finish.

Classio is a good choice, lots of guys in our car club vouch for clazzio.
However, the 2nd part is very state specific. Look at the local DMV website I guess for details,

Last edited by manson : 26th July 2018 at 16:22. Reason: Typos.
Old 6th April 2016, 07:39   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Kansas and Missouri you could just go to the DMV to register your car
I meant if someones getting it from DMV. If you are taking the title with you you can get the plates with you.

Usually the dealers take care of the registration and that takes a weeks time.
Old 6th April 2016, 08:43   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I meant if someones getting it from DMV. If you are taking the title with you you can get the plates with you.

Usually the dealers take care of the registration and that takes a weeks time.
Yes, if you buy from a dealer, typically the dealer will arrange the plates. But if you buy from a dealer outside the state you are living in, I'm not so sure.

If you buy yourself, e.g. second hand, or you move from state to state, you need to arrange it yourself. These dates I believe many states offer reasonable online service and you would get the plates send home. But you need to check. DMV's are essentially run locally, so what works in one state might not work or apply in the next state. When we lived in the USA, online services were hardly available yet.

Also, in some states there is a requirement for a car that is being registered to have some sort of inspection. In Kansas that was done by the Police Department. Essentially, not much more then a VIN check, again dealers normally would take care of it, on new and second hand cars if applicable, but you can do it yourself or have to do it yourself if you are buying from another individual.

Good luck. It's always a little bewildering but most DMV's have good information on their website and you can just call them too. In fact I would strongly advise to do so, irrespective what you read on forum such as these.
My experience is already 6-7 years old. Lots can change, so give the DMV a call and you (should get 100% accurate and reliable information

Jeroen
Old 6th April 2016, 09:11   #120
Senior - BHPian

Guide: First-time car ownership in the USA

Received my plates today after about 3 weeks. In Texas, it's only one sticker for registration. This yearly registration thing is intriguing. Perhaps a way for the DMV to make money. But see tons of cars with outdated stickers.

Missed to mention, this was a certified 2014 end Corolla LE plus with less than 15k on the odo. My drive out cost was 16K.
Finance deal was not great, 8% APR for 24months, 8K down. Ok considering zero credit history.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 6th April 2016 at 09:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks