Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2015, 00:16   #31
BHPian

Re: Pakistan Car Sales (July-Oct 2015) and an analysis of their Auto Industry

Very interesting.

I think one way to explain the absence of any hatchback segment to speak of in Pakistan would be to consider the fact that Pakistan has a minuscule middle class. While the rich- top ranked army and civil service officers, traders big land owners- prefer imported SUVs, mid range government employees, small traders and so on depend on cars built in Pakistan. The number of this second category is nothing compared to India.
Old 29th November 2015, 17:27   #32
BHPian

As others have pointed out, the new car sales don't paint an accurate picture of their market. I suggest everyone to take a look at this used car classified on Pakwheels.com

http://www.pakwheels.com/used-cars/s...red_1/?nf=true
CarCynic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 20:51   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Update on Pakistan Sales for 2015

Pakistan vehicle sales in 2015 created an all time record. Crossing 200,000 units for the first time. In 2015, 220,485 units were sold, up 56% from 2014. This does not include the new imported vehicles which were in the range of ~50,000 and also does not include used car imports.

Suzuki, Toyota and Honda continued their monopoly over the market. The Toyota Corolla emerged the Top Selling car by a wide margin (~27% Market Share).

Detailed numbers and top sellers

Pakistan Car Sales (July-Oct 2015) and an analysis of their Auto Industry-paksales2015.jpg

Source: Focus2Move
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 17:24   #34
BHPian

Re: An unexpected and surprising visit to Pakistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrwagh View Post
Very nice thread ! One thing I noticed, in couple of pictures I was a Isuzu V cross like pick-up truck. Interestingly we dont see those many in India. How did you find the overall automobiles differentiation there ? Like us dominated by Marutis, hatchbacks or SUVs on the other hand ?
I have the same questions, from what I've seen in car pages of Pakistan like this https://www.instagram.com/ridepeshawarofficial/ and from what I've heard from people is that there are quite a few JDM imports and much better tuning scene and car culture in Pakistan than in India.

Last edited by Revmatch99 : 31st July 2020 at 17:28.
Revmatch99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 17:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revmatch99 View Post
I have the same questions, from what I've seen in car pages of Pakistan like this https://www.instagram.com/ridepeshawarofficial/ and from what I've heard from people is that there are quite a few JDM imports and much better tuning scene and car culture in Pakistan than in India.
This is true. The tuning and car culture is pretty good, from again what I have seen on Insta. Some very tasteful and expensive mod jobs.

Pakistan Car Sales (July-Oct 2015) and an analysis of their Auto Industry-pakistan2.jpg

And I think there is a reason for that. Unlike India, Pakistan is always open for car imports. So every year thousands of cars, many of them "reconditioned" cars, from Japan, MiddleEast and even UK are shipped to Pakistan. This has reduced in the last 2 yrs or so since they are trying to cut down on imports.

Pakistan Car Sales (July-Oct 2015) and an analysis of their Auto Industry-pakistan.jpg

Infact even if you look at some of the Pakistan's vintage and classic car rallies, some of the stuff they have is pretty damn good. In India between independence and early 90s, we lived like a Soviet planned economy, closed to imports while our neighbours did not have such restrictions and therefore lots of nice stuff made their way into the country during that period. Finding classic cars from the 70s and 80s is rare in India, while in Pakistan Japanese sportscars, American muscle cars and boatloads of Landcruisers made their way there.

However when it comes to modern stuff, there isn't many there. Like the numbers of modern day Ferraris, Porsche 911s and Lamborbhinis will maybe be 10-20. Not like the 100-150 plus examples of each supercar make in India. It is too expensive and there is not much of a market for these cars there.

Last edited by avishar : 31st July 2020 at 17:53.
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 18:02   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post

And I think there is a reason for that. Unlike India, Pakistan is always open for car imports. So every year thousands of cars, many of them "reconditioned" cars, from Japan, MiddleEast and even UK are shipped to Pakistan. This has reduced in the last 2 yrs or so since they are trying to cut down on imports.

Infact even if you look at some of the Pakistan's vintage and classic car rallies, some of the stuff they have is pretty damn good. In India between independence and early 90s, we lived like a Soviet planned economy, closed to imports while our neighbours did not have such restrictions and therefore lots of nice stuff made their way into the country during that period. Finding classic cars from the 70s and 80s in rare in India, while in Pakistan Japanese sportscars, American muscle cars and boatloads of Landcruisers made their way there.

However when it comes to modern stuff, there isn't many there. Like modern Ferraris, Porsche, Lamborbhinis. Not like the 100-150 plus examples of each supercar make in India. It is too expensive and there is not much of a market for these cars in there.
Yup the import restrictions really hurt the car scene in India, we could've had so many JDM imports and with that much better tuning culture, but we're stuck here driving and modifying 1.0L shopping carts.

Last edited by Revmatch99 : 31st July 2020 at 18:09.
Revmatch99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 18:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revmatch99 View Post
Yup the import restrictions really hurt the car scene in India, we could've had so many JDM imports and with that much better tuning culture, instead we're here driving 1.0L shopping carts.
Well it has its trade-offs. I am of the opinion our automotive policies are not that bad. It took some generations but it forced carmakers to manufacturer here in scale, make prices competitive and industry cuthroat or else we would also be driving around in Toyota imports and CKDs from South Asia. The culmination of that is something like a car exclusively designed for India by a global MNC, which most MNCs are happy to invest in programmes like that. On the other hand those poor folks across the border instead have to survive on these in 2020. And the Maruti 800 literally I think stopped production last year.

Pakistan Car Sales (July-Oct 2015) and an analysis of their Auto Industry-pakistan.jpg

In Indian money these Citys are like 12-14 lakhs!

Pakistan Car Sales (July-Oct 2015) and an analysis of their Auto Industry-pakistan3.jpg

Little or no standards when it comes to safety equipment or fuel quality (Pakistan environmental standard for cars is at Euro-2 for now).

It is therefore not suprising that a 90s Corolla still commands a lot of money in the second hand market in Pakistan.

Last edited by avishar : 31st July 2020 at 18:18.
avishar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 18:44   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Well it has its trade-offs. I am of the opinion our automotive policies are not that bad. It took some generations but it forced carmakers to manufacturer here in scale, make prices competitive and industry cuthroat or else we would also be driving around in Toyota imports and CKDs from South Asia.
Local production is good but rules like sub 4m and 1.2L are stupid, the import duties are ridiculous and the car import laws are also confusing, we need less of these stupid restrictions. I understand they're trying to promote local production but India is really restrictive when it comes to import of cars.
Revmatch99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 16:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

Pakistan will prohibit the sale of cars without frontal airbags from July 2022.

Link to Tweet by UN Economic Commission

It is not clear whether Pakistan will adopt the UN's fundamental crash test regulations for frontal impact (ECE Reg. 94) along with the decision.

Last edited by ron178 : 30th December 2021 at 16:13.
ron178 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks