Team-BHP - The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Electric Cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/electric-cars/)
-   -   The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/electric-cars/171370-electric-vehicle-ev-landscape-deep-dive-5.html)

To have a truly green transport system, we must harness electricity from renewable sources, for us mainly from sunlight and wind energy. If we can channel solar and wind driven power to drive our electric vehicle systems and ensure that at least 50% of our electricity needs are met by these, then we would have done our bit in greening our planet.
For a nation which has over 300 sunny days all over, its a crying shame that we are so lack luster in running behind harnessing solar energy. We should ideally be seeing solar panels over each hutment.

I see different electric operated vehicles such as 1) Battery operated vans operated in Infosys campus 2) Electric vehicles in Airports to fetch passengers 3) Battery operated ones in Golf courses 4) The electric vehicles at Metro/Decathlon

What are the challenges to bring these on a commercial scale on to the road? I would liek to be educated. Even a low speed of 30-40 kmph is fine as we can use it in our congested cities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manduvindupondu (Post 3980954)
I see different electric operated vehicles such as 1) Battery operated vans operated in Infosys campus 2) Electric vehicles in Airports to fetch passengers 3) Battery operated ones in Golf courses 4) The electric vehicles at Metro/Decathlon

What are the challenges to bring these on a commercial scale on to the road? I would liek to be educated. Even a low speed of 30-40 kmph is fine as we can use it in our congested cities.

There are several fully electrical/battery operated vehicle commercially available today. Tesla being the name that springs to mind. The challenges they have are compared to regular petrol/diesel cars.

- still somewhat limited range
- still limited infrastructure for charging
- relatively long charging period
- heavy cars
- what are we going to do with all these batteries when these cars need scrapping?

Except for the last one, in many western countries you can see the others are more or less solved. If you ever fly to Amsterdam and take a taxi, you will most likely find yourself in a Tesla. Beautiful, roomy, very fast car.

Range on average 350-400km. Plenty of charging points all over Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrect etc. A 75% charge takes just over 20 minutes. So a little longer then filling up with petrol, but it is certainly getting within an acceptable range.

So I would say most of the real challenges of only a few years ago are disappearing very fast. It is likely to be somewhat different in India. But fully electrically powered cars are a reality today in many western Metro areas already.

Same is now happening with delivery vans.
Jeroen

Hi Jeroen, that was very well written. Thanks. Btw, I am in the US and I see lot of Toyota Hybrids here. Not many Teslas (due to the high cost factor). However, I travel quite a bit within US and saw some Teslas in the Bay area (affluent communities there :-))
On a side note, can we get the Tesla imported from Amsterdam to India? Or wilder idea, can we drive down to India?
I really want to get rid of the Oil MAFIA.
Petrol bunks are Tax collection agencies and are agents of IT department.
They just happen to sell Petrol :-)

the most sensible aspect would be for the major guys to come together to ensure charging is done on common platforms unlike Mobile phones where each model may have its own unique mechanism !

Hopefully that is the case and continues to be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anup25 (Post 4046780)
the most sensible aspect would be for the major guys to come together to ensure charging is done on common platforms unlike Mobile phones where each model may have its own unique mechanism !

Sorry, no longer true. All (well almost all) mobiles use a micro-USB to change. Only a few are using Type 3 (reversible) connector.

Chevy Bolt, to be launched in the US market end of this year, will be the first EV with a 200 mile range at or below USD 30k (post tax incentive)
The table below compares a few key parameters for top selling EVs. For a given model, the initial version ('Launch') is also compared with its current version ('Latest').

Over the last five years, range (or battery capacity) for EVs priced ~ USD 30k has almost tripled! A 200 mile range should be adequate for the weekly driving needs of most people, and also make recharging less of a hassle. However, even the cheapest EVs come with a steep price premium. If a competitively priced EV becomes available in, say, two-three years time, it would make buying an EV a compelling choice over regular cars.

With the price of Lithium, used in (almost) all batteries set to go up, prices may go even higher. Lithium is the lightest Alkali element so I see no obvious replacement. Also, the Chinese have a near monopoly on Lithium supplies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 4051429)
Also, the Chinese have a near monopoly on Lithium supplies.

Chile and Argentina are the largest producers of lithium, Bolivia has the largest reserves. Though you are right that lithium prices will go up in the near future as 3 companies control almost all the lithium production.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 4051429)
With the price of Lithium, used in (almost) all batteries set to go up, prices may go even higher. Lithium is the lightest Alkali element so I see no obvious replacement. Also, the Chinese have a near monopoly on Lithium supplies.

The actual Lithium in the battery is minimal. I am missing the exact number but it's less than 3% or maybe even lower. So the Chinese threat is overstated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NitinBatra (Post 4106689)
The actual Lithium in the battery is minimal. I am missing the exact number but it's less than 3% or maybe even lower. So the Chinese threat is overstated.

Obviously, since Li is the third lightest element (after H and He) so 3% will add up to at least 30 atomic percent. Also, it is vital, and production and storage is a big issue. It is so active.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 4106742)
Obviously, since Li is the third lightest element (after H and He) so 3% will add up to at least 30 atomic percent. Also, it is vital, and production and storage is a big issue. It is so active.

Yes it's an active component. That's why they misnamed it Li ion battery. :)

Do you have an actual breakup of the metal composition in the Li batteries. Couldn't find anything on googling it.

http://www.goldmansachs.com/our-thin...ion/cars-2025/

Interesting short article from Goldman Sachs on trends in the auto industry over the next 10 to 15 years. None of this will be a surprise to members of Team BHP. Most interesting trend is the willingness (in USA) to car pool - highest with the millennial generation and lowest with baby boomers (like me). Electric vehicles is a space I watch with deep interest. No matter what we say or how much we love our internal combustion engine (I sure love it) the trend is in one direction. The trends this article talks of are the move to carbon fibre, electrics in various degrees, internet if things linking up cars and cars to the rest of IOT, driverless etc.

While I am aware of the fact that team-bhp members are either petrol heads or diesel brothers, I strongly believe that feature of transportation is going to be ELECTRIC. I also believe that, automotive industry is going to see more innovation and changes in the next decade, than it does in the last century.

Automotive industry's iPhone moment came in 2012 with Tesla's Model S release.

In 2015, Model S was the highest selling large luxury sedan ($70,000+) in US as shown in below image. While the overall luxury car market has remained same at around 1 lakh vehicles, Tesla Model S has taken sales from all other reputed car makers like Mercedes, BMW, Audi etc... and got 25% of the total sales.

In 2016, Model S did even better as can be seen from Q3, 2016 numbers below. In 2015 Model S had 25% of market share of large luxury sedan segment in US. In 2016, Model S has increased its share to 32% of the segment.

Model X is also selling in great numbers capturing SUV market, albeit at smaller pace is its only available from late 2015.

As the future looks really bright from the electric cars perspective, I am starting this thread to share news about all types of electric vehicles. This thread is only about fully-electric vehicles which completely runs only on battery, not for hybrid (electric + oil engines) or hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, etc...

Please share any information about fully-electric vehicles and keep posting your opinions on electric vehicles :thumbs up

Daimler, owner of Mercedes-Benz is accelerating its electric car program by 3 years clap:
The company said it expects Mercedes-Benz Cars to bring more than 10 new electric cars to market by 2022 through 10 billion euros ($10.8 billion) of investment, having previously aimed to achieve the target by 2025.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-da...-idUSKBN1700N7