Team-BHP - The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Electric Cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/electric-cars/)
-   -   The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/electric-cars/171370-electric-vehicle-ev-landscape-deep-dive-9.html)

Jaguar Land Rover just announced today that all their new cars from 2020 will have electric option. That means all their cars will be either all-electric or hybrid from 2020. Just last year they said, they would offer electric options on half of its models. But in just a year they ramped up their plans.

Source:
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-ec...-idUKKCN1BH35W

Volvo also recently announced that they will make all their models either all-electric, hybrid or mild-hybrid.

Car makers are going greener way to meet the upcoming emission standards in 2021. By 2021 as per EU regulations, fleet average CO2 emissions should be less than 95 grams per km. Average CO2 emissions from JLR cars were 164g (5.8oz) per kilometre in 2015, well above the UK average of 121.4g.

Analysts predict Tesla ( Model 3 and Model Y)sales to be half of Global EV Market by 2020.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-0.jpg

Quote:

Tesla hopes for 500,000 sales annually and even more when adding in the upcoming Model Y. However in this case, the IHS report is more conservative, but even at lower results Tesla is expected to take half of global electric car sales by 2020
The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-teslamodelyrendering.jpg

Link

Volkswagen group just announced 'Roadmap E' for electrification of their vehicles across all brands at Frankfurt Motor Show.

Highlights:

At the even they also showcased I.D and I.D. CROZZ vehicles which will be released by 2020 under VE brand along with the new EV platform.

All major manufacturers seem to be realising the change in the overall mood and planning to get a foothold in EV segment before they become a footnote in history. I hope that along with EV, Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles also gain traction.

Honda reveals its Urban EV concept at the IAA 2017. Expected to be enter production by 2019.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-113868_honda_urban_ev_concept_unveiled_at_the_frankfurt_motor_show-copy.jpg
The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-113866_honda_urban_ev_concept_unveiled_at_the_frankfurt_motor_show-copy.jpg
The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-113872_honda_urban_ev_concept_unveiled_at_the_frankfurt_motor_show-copy.jpg
The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-113874_honda_urban_ev_concept_unveiled_at_the_frankfurt_motor_show-copy.jpg

link

I quite like the Honda Urban EV concept. Love it, actually! The design is being called "Neo-Retro" by a lot of bloggers and I completely agree. A nod to the old school cars. Reminds you of the first generation Honda Civic and the first & second generation VW Golf!

Shows how good design can age beautifully and can be brought back in the future! They are saying the car will come in 2019. Good to see the Japanese manufacturers taking EVs seriously after Hydrogen fuel cell failed to get enough traction.

Hopefully we see this in India too considering the government's plan to provide a much needed push to this technology. If it does get here, this might just be my next car! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vamsi.kona (Post 4268174)
All major manufacturers seem to be realising the change in the overall mood and planning to get a foothold in EV segment before they become a footnote in history. I hope that along with EV, Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles also gain traction.

I think with EV becoming big, Hydrogen may be given a go bye. I have been active with H fuel since 1977 but it is still 'round the corner'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 4269609)
I think with EV becoming big, Hydrogen may be given a go bye. .

There is now a train of thought that EV are going to be a big boost for hydrogen, well at least fuel cells. The mean reason is that it is simply not realistic to have all of the countries car hooked up to the nations electrical grid.

So fuel cells could well be the way to power electric vehicles over time. Although, admittedly I have not seen that much progress with fuel cells. Here in Europe they are used primarily on busses. I think there are a couple of hundred in Germany and three (3!) in the Netherlands. One of the big challenges is the infrastructure to refuel the fuel cells.

I have never understood why hydrogen/fuel cell technology never took off. At face value it seems a much better proposition than just replacing petrol/fuel engines with batteries and e-motors.

Jeroen

Samsung displays some interesting trends in the battery technology at the ongoing IAA 2017,

1. Multifunctional battery pack: 600-700 Km range

Quote:

Multifunctional battery pack” of Samsung SDI attracted the most attention. Its users can change the number of modules as they want as if they place books on a shelf. For example, if 20 modules are installed in a premium car, it can go 600 to 700 kilometers. If 10 to 12 modules are mounted on a regular sedan, it can run up to 300 kilometers. This pack is expected to attract attention from automakers, because they can design a car whose mileage vary depending on how many modules of a single pack are installed

2. Low Height Cell, which are also pretty long – for applications where the floor needs to be lower.

Quote:

This is a cell whose height has been reduced by more than 20 percent than that of other existing cells. If this cell is applied, it can decrease the battery load height in an EV. It raises interior space utilization, enabling automakers to develop EVs of various designs

3. 21700 cylindrical cells and modules (Tesla uses this)

Quote:

A ‘21700’ battery is 21 millimeters in diameter and 70 millimeters in height. Its capacity is 50 percent bigger than the existing 18650 battery. Its size is optimal for maximizing capacity, life and output simultaneously. The new battery beats batteries of any other size in light of cost competitiveness. A 21700 battery draws attention from major global manufacturers as the next-generation standard which can be applied to all sorts of products including electric vehicles, ESS and electric tools
Source:Samsung SDI

Tesla is aiming to disrupt the commercial vehicle segment. Tesla is going to unveil it semi truck in October.

Chief executive Elon Musk said that the “Tesla Semi truck” is “tentatively scheduled” for unveiling and first test rides one month behind schedule on 26 October in Tesla’s hometown of Hawthorne, California.

“Worth seeing this beast in person. It’s unreal,” said Musk on Twitter.

This man sure knows how to market a product.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...d-late-october

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 4269626)
There is now a train of thought that EV are going to be a big boost for hydrogen, well at least fuel cells. The mean reason is that it is simply not realistic to have all of the countries car hooked up to the nations electrical grid.

So fuel cells could well be the way to power electric vehicles over time. Although, admittedly I have not seen that much progress with fuel cells. Here in Europe they are used primarily on busses. I think there are a couple of hundred in Germany and three (3!) in the Netherlands. One of the big challenges is the infrastructure to refuel the fuel cells.

I have never understood why hydrogen/fuel cell technology never took off. At face value it seems a much better proposition than just replacing petrol/fuel engines with batteries and e-motors.

Jeroen

I think cost of fuel cells and the energy for producing hydrogen are the impediments. Its a good way for storing the fuel compared to batteries.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 4269626)

I think the crux was Hydrogen WITH fuel cells and not just to replace gasoline. Technology moves have many parameters and is not obvious. Take VCS technology, Betamax was superior to VHS in almost all respects but what took off was VHS. Also, by and large the marketplace does no want to invest in two technologies at the same time. So I am afraid it is either Hydrogen or Electric and highly unlikely to be both.

I for one will bet on EV winning out.

Mahindra and Ford entered into alliance for 3 years (will be reviewed at the end of 3 years) to collaborate on electric vehicles, product development and vehicle technology.

While its good to see Mahindra joining global giant for electrification, its very pathetic that they did not really put much effort in the last few years despite buying Reva long back. They are spending money on Formula E but they don't have proper electric vehicles to sell. In fact they even pulled back Reva from some of European markets.

They are happy to sell sliced off TUVs, very fake SUVs (KUV), milking the Scorpio till its irrelevance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sri_tesla (Post 4272320)
While its good to see Mahindra joining global giant for electrification, its very pathetic that they did not really put much effort in the last few years despite buying Reva long back. They are spending money on Formula E but they don't have proper electric vehicles to sell.

Well that is not true, right? They have e2o which is a very capable electric vehicle. In fact Mahindra is the only Indian auto company to have an electric car selling right now. I agree that e2o is costly, but the prices will come down eventually after the demand picks up.

Proterra electric bus just drove 1,101 miles (1,772 KMs) on a single charge. Its a new world record for longest distance traveled by an electric vehicle on a single charge clap:

The bus called Catalyst E2 max has a massive 660 kWh battery and traveled at 15 miles per hour (24 kmph) for this record trip. Proterra is an US based electric bus manufacturer that has sold 400 electric buses till now and expanding their production for both buses and batteries in collaboration with LG Chem.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-p...-idUSKCN1BU1JH