Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2016, 09:02   #1
BHPian

Porsche 911R unveiled (the lightest 911)

Porsche has unveiled the 911R at the Geneva Motor show.

It is, at 1,370kgs, the lightest 911 in the range, undercutting the GT3 RS by 50kg. Nestled in its rump is the 493bhp 4.0-litre naturally-aspirated flat-six which launches it from 0-62mph in 3.7 seconds. Options include a single-mass flywheel to let the engine rev even more freely and an automatic rev-matching function on downshifts, one which can be switched off, carbon-fiber bonnet and magnesium roof, rear-wheel steering and mechanical differential on the back axle. It also features super-wide tires (245 section front, 305 section rear) and ceramic brakes as standard (410mm front, 390mm rear), along with forged aluminium wheels.

Porsche 911R unveiled (the lightest 911)-911_r_8.jpg

Porsche 911R unveiled (the lightest 911)-911_r_light_3.jpg

Porsche 911R unveiled (the lightest 911)-911_r_6.jpg

Link to the Top Gear aricle -

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/firs...uld-be-perfect
Porschefire is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 09:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Porsche 911R unveiled (the lightest 911)

This could probably be the naturally aspirated 911's last hurrah and could well be one of the most sought after cars in Porsche's history as it offers a pure driving experience that is not track focussed.

I'm willing to bet the 991 cars that Porsche is building are already spoken for. If I were looking for a porsche, this would be it. Alas I don't have that kind of money
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 14:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Porsche 911R unveiled (the lightest 911)

Porsche's Head of GT Division, Andreas Preuninger, talking in-depth about his baby, the 911R, exclusively to Evo-
shyn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 16:22   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Porsche 911R unveiled (the lightest 911)

Porsche 911R unveiled (the lightest 911)-gallery1456795450p160172a4rgb.jpg

The 911R is available with only a "Manual Gearbox" & hence it is special

Last edited by karan561 : 2nd March 2016 at 16:29.
karan561 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 16:57   #5
BHPian

This is why I love Porsche 911s'. They are connected to their heritage at the same time they embrace the future. The manual gearbox certainly is a connect to the past and the use of new age light weight materials like carbon fiber and magnesium coupled with carbon ceramic brakes is the path to the future. The body decals also remind me of the legend 911 Carerra RS.
RocketRaccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 18:24   #6
BHPian

Manual gearbox
No radio
No AC
Reduced sound dampening (for lowering the weight)
Single mass flywheel
No spoiler, to keep the 911 look Pure
No leather stitching on the dashboard, for the simplistic look

A purists car.

This is the car I’d buy if I had the money! Any 911 for that matter

Googled what a single mass flywheel is -
Quote:
The dual mass systems are designed to transmit less engine vibration to the driveline, and give a better more car like driving experience. They also reduce some of the jarring and stress on the transmission and remainder of the drivetrain. They work fine as long as the engine remains unmodified and the vehicle is not used/abused beyond manufacturers recommendations.
As soon as you start to increase the engine power over stock, or load the vehicle beyond design parameters, you run into problems. Dual mass flywheels are tuned systems and must be matched to the engine torque curve, engine resonant characteristics, vehicle load curves (including axle ratio/tire size calculations). They work by having a set of springs inserted between two rotating masses (thus dual mass). The springs are sized to soak up some of the resonant vibration from the diesel engine under load conditions. A dual mass fly wheel generally also contains an over torque friction release, so if it gets suddenly overloaded, rather than damage the springs, it slips. This works fine as a safety valve, but if it does it much it burns up. In short, overloaded they burn up and the springs get destroyed and they are worse than if it were a single mass FW.
The single mass part WILL tend to transmit more engine pulse (vibration) to the drivetrain, and will seem a bit rougher. But it is straight forward to design a single mass flywheel and clutch package for pretty much any engine torque curve and vehicle loading combo you can come up with. Drives more like a TRUCK, but has much better reliability at extreme use levels
Source: http://www.high-impact.net/transmiss...svsSolidFW.htm
jay3sh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 19:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRaccoon View Post
This is why I love Porsche 911s'. They are connected to their heritage at the same time they embrace the future. The manual gearbox certainly is a connect to the past and the use of new age light weight materials like carbon fiber and magnesium coupled with carbon ceramic brakes is the path to the future. The body decals also remind me of the legend 911 Carerra RS.

Amen! And add to that list the seats. They perfectly embody the past and the future with the carbon fiber units from the 918 Spyder but with hound's tooth inserts and not alcantara.Look so bloody awesome!
Porsche 911R unveiled (the lightest 911)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1456925537.157137.jpg
Porsche 911R unveiled (the lightest 911)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1456925545.654722.jpg
shyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 19:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
Amen! And add to that list the seats. They perfectly embody the past and the future with the carbon fiber units from the 918 Spyder but with hound's tooth inserts and not alcantara.Look so bloody awesome!
Attachment 1482191
Attachment 1482192
If god comes to me today and asks me one car I can have and then die, this would be it without any second thoughts.

I just love the way Porsche GT division has turned out under him in the last 3-4 years. Truly truly epic car.

They first said, that this engine cannot be mated to a manual transmission and then they drop this bomb. Wow.

Although I didn't like the red strips and the lack of a spoiler but I can live with it. I prefer the back of 911 with some spoiler. My dream car for the coming few years.

CHEERS to the guys who can buy this. I am quite certain atleast a couple of them will land in India.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post

They first said, that this engine cannot be mated to a manual transmission and then they drop this bomb. Wow.

CHEERS to the guys who can buy this. I am quite certain atleast a couple of them will land in India.

Rachit

I really hope atleast one comes to India too, but I highly doubt that. Seeing how only 991 are being made and that 918 owners will get first dibs, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get to see one here at all. Why couldn't Porsche make a few more? Whyyy! :'(

Oh and regarding not mating the 4.0 liter engine to a manual, they had no intention of doing it. Until a LOT of people started asking for one! It took one year to make it and that was achieved thanks to their extensive parts-bin. Read on.

Porsche Developed the 911 R in One Year as a Response to PDK Haters

Porsche's 911 R was easily one of our favorite cars of the Geneva Motor Show. Its combination of light weight, an 8800-rpm 4.0 liter flat-six and a proper six-speed manual gearbox is just about perfect, but its development is a rather interesting story. This car is very much a response to those who complained about the choice to use PDK only in the 911 GT3 and GT3 RS.

I spoke with Hermann-Josef Stappen, who handles technology communications for Porsche in Germany. He told me that pairing the GT3 RS's high-revving, naturally aspirated flat-six with a manual gearbox was not planned from the outset. The 911 R was very much a response to those who bemoaned the lack of a manual in the GT3: Stappen even called out Chris Harris by name.

Development for the 911 R only took a little over a year, which makes sense given its usage of various components from Porsche's–admittedly wonderful–parts bin. The body shell is shared the GT3 and Carrera 4 and the front splitter is from the GT3 RS. The R shares its tires with the GT3, which are slightly narrower than those in the GT3 RS.

A new aerodynamic package was developed for the R, including a deployable rear spoiler which rises to a higher angle attack than that of the Carrera to cope with the R's additional power. The engine is the same 4.0 liter, 500-hp unit used in the GT3 RS, but the gearbox–the first six-speed manual in a 991–was developed specifically for this car.

Porsche pitches the R as a more road-focused alternative to the track-ready GT3 and GT3 RS. The company assumes some customers will track their 911 Rs (as they should), but it thinks the R will primarily be used as a road car. The switch to PDK arguably made the GT3 and GT3 RS better track cars in terms of lap times, but the creation of the 911 R is a way to make an even more engaging 911.

Porsche clearly wanted only to build a track monster GT3, but customers–and frankly, us journalists–forced the 911 R. Not that this is a bad thing of course since the 911 R promises to be an unbelievable driver's car. We can question Porsche's reasons for building this car, but we should also be very happy it exists.
Source: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...r-development/
Old 4th March 2016, 12:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

What a car! Love it! Love the fact that they have managed to keep the spoiler away by working hard on the under body.

And one can feel the passion behind the project by listening to Andreas Preuninger, Head of GT Division, Porsche.

Also, do take a look at this extremely well done website as well. The new 911 R

Quote:
The new 911 R: A thoroughbred nine eleven.

I'm not just a Sports Car. I'm much more than that. I'm the R that makes the difference. I'm the 911 that will keep you on your toes. I'm the reason for getting up at 6 a.m. on Sundays after a tough week. I'm the reminder of a lost childhood. I smell of petrol, of asphalt, of the race track. An genuine Sports Car. A thoroughbred nine eleven. Now, I'm back – in a limited edition of only 991 units.

I tick like an analogue watch. I'm honest, straight, direct. A confirmed purist. With the driver at the centre. That's why I compete out in the open. For high Sports Car culture.

I am the new 911 R.
Old 8th March 2016, 20:08   #11
BHPian

Video by Porsche featuring the old and the new 911R. It also highlights the R's party piece - MT.
As my handle suggests, I'm a big big Porsche aficionado and the 911R by far is one of the prettiest modern day Porsches ever!

Porschefire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 08:45   #12
BHPian

The slightly mental Jason Camissa from Motortrend had this to say about the 911R.

Oh, but now I’ve driven it. And if I could actually get a 911 R, I’d be buying one even if it meant cashing in my 401(k), selling some of my current cars, or standing on a street corner (begging for money).
Unquote

The journey to the 911 R’s 8,500-rpm limiter is a living, breathing climax of buzzes, harmonics, and resonances that you won’t soon forget. At high revs under partial load, the flat-six shakes the whole cabin
Unquote

Source Link below.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-...-r-revelation/

Now i want to see what Hamster would say if he gets to ride this one.
Old 16th June 2016, 09:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
The slightly mental Jason Camissa from Motortrend had this to say about the 911R.
Lovely review! Whats interesting is that the 991 examples have already been sold and the delivery slots are being resold at 7x the asking price. Just unreal!
Old 26th September 2016, 21:36   #14
BHPian

I am getting extremely jealous of this guy.

This is the second time he is getting to drive the 911R.

I would recommend this video be seen with the best possible earphones to hear the beautiful noises he describes and the wailing motor. I saw this video again and again and again to hear that collection of beautiful noises.

God bless those geniuses at Porsche.
rohitoasis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 06:01   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

A 911R participated in a inter-state drive event I was part of and words can't describe it's beauty nor can pictures do any justice to it.
Porsche 911R unveiled (the lightest 911)-e64692a15f784b578176a09e8b1b7af4_1_201_a.jpeg

The owner had got this exquisite piece last year and was gleaming with pride. We all had huge respect for him for taking the car on back roads and experiencing it. It sounded sweet. Looked absolutely bare bones inside like a race car.

I was told that the value of one of the 911R's jumped by A$100K in one year. Seems that one is available for almost A$700K.

Then I came to know that one was listed for a more than A$1M a couple of years back. Cars like these are investments I reckon.

Contrary to what many may think, we do have a LOT of bad roads filled with potholes in Australia. We couldn't believe that they went through the trouble of spray painting a man hole sized crater/pot hole with yellow paint. As if it were Step#1 of the repair process.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks