Team-BHP - M5 having tons of issues, when are the germans going to learn??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   M5 having tons of issues, when are the germans going to learn?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/17485-m5-having-tons-issues-when-germans-going-learn.html)

I was browsing my corvetteforum as usual when a euro member posted some links about an M5Board get together in Koenigsegg track(very cool of them) with tons of exotics, M5s, modded bimmers, mercs, new 911 TTs, old ones, GT2, F430, Galladro and last but definetly not the least a Z06...

anyhow they had a fantastic day, short but they were able to compare these cars together with, Z06 being the top competitor beating the F430 etc after driving in the wrong gear lol: ...anyhow fun videos, if you want to see just visit the M5board.

So when i started browsing the M5 board, I started to see a crap load of problem specially due to the SMG gear box and ton of electronic gremlins...whats wrong with the germans, why do they have to come out with the latest and the greatest in a car when they dont understand a damn thing about it, why dont they let the japs take care of coming out with the latest and the greatest..and then follow in their footsteps after its been proven :D

Anyhow i heard even our Ashok seems to have a crap load of problems with his car, changing the geaboxes and all that..

To think i was considering the new M5 for a while scares me...but I still think if a car has to be made, it needs some attributes from the M5, but definetly none of the problem areas...

Germans need to really do a shake down on their product release and use of high technology..

Remember the first M5 that came into India had problems that delayed delivery. Unfortunately, the europeans have not been able to ensure long term reliability of electronics unlike the Japanese who have had a headstart. Electronics was what plagued Mercedes, caused VW to do a massive recall for coil pack replacements, Peugeot and Renaults are know for going down....the list goes on.

Yup, I remember hearing M5 horror stories from maverick? Apparently an M5 left its owners stranded on the mumbai-pune expressway after the SMG gearbox gave way.

1Day - Totally with you. I have been at the receiving end of german unreliability, and think its best to follow the "Tata Policy" i.e. Never buy a German car in the first year or two of introduction. You have to wait for the gremlins to get ironed out before signing on that cheque.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
Yup, I remember hearing M5 horror stories from maverick? Apparently an M5 left its owners stranded on the mumbai-pune expressway after the SMG gearbox gave way.

1Day - Totally with you. I have been at the receiving end of german unreliability, and think its best to follow the "Tata Policy" i.e. Never buy a German car in the first year or two of introduction. You have to wait for the gremlins to get ironed out before signing on that cheque.

GTO You are a real BMW hater .Don't you?..:mad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thil
GTO You are a real BMW hater .Don't you?..:mad:

Why? He is merely stating facts that we know about!

Quote:

GTO You are a real BMW hater .Don't you?.
Are you kidding? I love BMWs especially the previous gen 3, 5 and 7 series. The only dislike I have is toward Bangles weird designs.

But lets stick to the topic here, shall we?

Well, I can vouch for the fact now that M5's are in fact unreliable cars. I've already had to send my car over to Navneet thrice now I think due to faults of the car (steering angle sensor, oil level sensor, & now clutch/transmission).

I've been officially left M-less for more than a month now.

P.S. Ashoks changed his transmission twice now and really frustrated although he enjoys the Paddle-shifts.

well at last....i just referred to these germans in another thread where they were referring the Americans as unreliable. Americans are poorly built and finished but not more unreliable than the Germans. from Merc to BMW to Opel, I know many German wheels that spend more time in Garage than on the tarmac.
its a pity that my italian aint no reliable set of wheels either....:(

but while we are speaking M5, let me just put it darn straight. The brand new BMW M5 E60 is the most incredible set of wheels money can buy. I would rate it over any sports convertible without thinking for 0.000001 of a sec.
and also, Guess?: man u are one lucky guy....

Quote:

Americans are poorly built and finished but not more unreliable than the Germans.
ALso factor in that repairing an american car will cost a lot less than its german counterpart.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
Are you kidding? I love BMWs especially the previous gen 3, 5 and 7 series. The only dislike I have is toward Bangles weird designs.

But lets stick to the topic here, shall we?

Hay that's just kiddingplease:.How can any car lover can possibly hate the "Ultimate Driving Machine".

I do agree that modern day BMW's are not that reliable than the previous gen machines. But as the technology advance and as customers we demand lot of new futures and expect them as reliable as it could be (nothing wrong).some times it will take some time for the automobile industry to

My point is BMW or MERC .Every Car has it's own flaws and it depends on the point of view how big the flaw is?.

I am sure a lot people will agree that BMW M5 is one of the Driver's cars available now and hope it will get better and better?.So let us give some time for them?.(Am I too optimistic?)

absolutely.
the way i see it, if u want to learn the art of making the finest automobiles, Germany is the answer. for reliable ones, the Japs are the emperors. raw "affordable" power is what u like....close ur eyes, get the Z06.

Quote:

But as the technology advance and as customers we demand lot of new futures and expect them as reliable as it could be (nothing wrong).some times it will take some time for the automobile industry to
This has been discussed to death in my old Mercedes thread. The unanimous response was : Sure, we want the latest technologies, but not at the cost of reliability. What is the use of a technology if it doesnt work or leaves you stranded on the road?

Innovation is not the excuse for unreliable cars. First make it stable, then mass produce it.

its not the rush to sell new cars that lead these Germans to continue providing ultra-tech gadgets in their cars. Its the race for more and more Patents and technologies addressed to their names that matter for them.

why do u think all Volvo and Nissan could think about is self-driving cars or self-parking vehicles. the sooner they create a new technology, the more royalty they would gain....

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitverma
its not the rush to sell new cars that lead these Germans to continue providing ultra-tech gadgets in their cars. Its the race for more and more Patents and technologies addressed to their names that matter for them.

why do u think all Volvo and Nissan could think about is self-driving cars or self-parking vehicles. the sooner they create a new technology, the more royalty they would gain....

Yep.It's a competative world.The race is kind if who introduce the technology to the industry.

I think those who are in Marketing and Tech divison will know the better difference.Marketing people may not think abt long term view(they always have a goal to achieve).Techy people esp in Mechanical field wanna test their product completely before release.

(Same thing as in Software industry.We just concentrate for the immediate release and fix bugs/defects when it arise).

It's kind of wrong approach but what to do ,,every one take the same route