Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2016, 02:27   #1
BHPian

Ford Mustang outsells Audi TT & Porsche 911 to be Germany's best-selling sports car in March '16!

Ford Mustang outsells Audi TT & Porsche 911 to be Germany's best-selling sports car in March '16!-12525553_1411817665510541_1396330693468658747_o.jpg

With the Indian launch on the horizon , the enthusiasts will be delighted to know that the Ford Mustang is upsetting the applecart world over. The Ford has outsold both the traditional bestsellers Audi TT and Porsche 911 in Germany to become country's most sold sportscar for the month of March. This information comes from a recent report by the German Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA), so these are the official government numbers. The Mustang's 780 beat out the Audi TT's 708 units, and also Germany's best known performance car, the Porsche 911's 752 units.

The 2.3-liter, EcoBoost Mustang retails in Germany at 38,000 euros (around 28.8lakhs at today's rates) and the front wheel drive Audi TT starts at 35,950 euros (about 27.3lakhs). The V8 Mustang GT (70 percent have chosen the V8), meanwhile, starts at 43,000 euros (about 32.6 lakhs), which is just 2,550 euros more than the Quattro-equipped TT. It's easy to understand the Mustang's success when you can pick up a 310 horsepower or 435 hp for just a couple thousand more than 220 hp of the TT. Even though you can pick up two Mustangs for the price of a 911, Ford also managed to beat out the Porsche's smaller siblings - the Boxster and Cayman twins, which sold a combined 642 vehicles.

But the quarter picture is much different. The TT is Germany's best-selling sports car from January through March, with 2,299 to the Ford's 1,823. Porsche is not far behind with 1,811 units in first 3 months of 2016. It will be interesting to see how 2016 plays out. Infact this is a big deal in the global auto industry.With the top position in US and German markets , entering new markets everyday and a huge waiting list, the current generation Ford Mustang may well be on the path to become the best selling sportscar in the world. Though the dreams of a 6 speed manual (#SaveTheManuals) is fully crushed, hopefully Ford India will launch the Mustang at a realistic price point. Time to get excited Mustang fans!

[ATTACH]KBA report[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf n_seg_03_16_pdf.pdf (397.5 KB, 315 views)

Last edited by johannskaria : 9th April 2016 at 02:36.
johannskaria is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 07:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Must have been an eye opener for The German automotive scene. Actually, this is actually quite a good looking Mustang. Incarnations are not necessarily as good as the original and Ford got it badly wrong with some of the previous Stangs. But I sort of like this one. Although I do find it hard to believe that the typical TT or Porsche audience would choose a Mustang over their TT/Porsche. So are they taking away market share or just attracting a different kind of clientele? I.e.
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 15:14   #3
BHPian

re: Ford Mustang outsells Audi TT & Porsche 911 to be Germany's best-selling sports car in March '16!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Although I do find it hard to believe that the typical TT or Porsche audience would choose a Mustang over their TT/Porsche. So are they taking away market share or just attracting a different kind of clientele? I.e.
Ford Mustang outsells Audi TT & Porsche 911 to be Germany's best-selling sports car in March '16!-excel.jpg

The Mustang have been growing quite steadily in the market posting consistent numbers in the last three months, chipping away the market share from its competitors. And this feat was achieved when the sports car market contracted by about 280 units. It seems people are picking the American pony instead of new TT's!
johannskaria is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 18:13   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ford Mustang outsells Audi TT & Porsche 911 to be Germany's best-selling sports car in March '16!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
Attachment 1495150

The Mustang have been growing quite steadily in the market posting consistent numbers in the last three months, chipping away the market share from its competitors. And this feat was achieved when the sports car market contracted by about 280 units. It seems people are picking the American pony instead of new TT's!
Thanks,

Not sure I understand your calculations

I read it as follows

Mustang Marketshare in January is 500/3618 = 13.%
Mustang Marketshare in March is 780/5020 = 15.5%

So yes the Mustang is improving its marketshare in the last three months and very impressive over the last year. But actually the Cayman and the Boxer are improving their marketshare far more aggressively in the last three months, although in absolute terms still lagging behind the Mustang.

The total market March 15 compared to March 16 seems to be shrinking as you say.
Interesting developments.

Not sure which one I would choose out of these 5.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 13:39   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Mustang outsells Audi TT & Porsche 911 to be Germany's best-selling sports car in March '16

Quite an achievement, congratulations to Ford! Believe this is the first time that the American has held the crown. Anyone who's been to Germany will know how tough it must have been to crack that market. Nearly 800 sales is mega!

Do note that there's not much of a difference in the prices of the Audi TT & Mustang (Mustang is more expensive in Germany, not necessarily the VFM package it is in the USA).
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 16:14   #6
BANNED

Re: Ford Mustang outsells Audi TT & Porsche 911 to be Germany's best-selling sports car in March '16

Maybe the Germans want an affordable horse, who cares it is prancing or galloping! Jokes apart, this screams muscle all over. If you don't get a shiver down your spine seeing this in your rear view mirror, nothing will! This is a stunner, but still the feat achieved is laudable looking at how difficult is the market. Germans have not been kind to Americans for sometime.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 01:01   #7
BHPian

Ford Mustang is the best-selling sports coupe globally!

Ford Mustang outsells Audi TT & Porsche 911 to be Germany's best-selling sports car in March '16!-146.jpg

Quote:
  • Ford Mustang was the top-selling sports coupe worldwide in 2015, according to IHS Automotive registration data.
  • Global customers are most interested in V8-equipped Mustangs.
  • Ford sold around 110,000 Mustang Coupes and around 30,000 Mustang Convertibles in 2015; Mustang was the only sports coupe globally to sell more than 100,000 units last year.
  • Mustang is now on sale in 140 markets, including Australia, where it was sold out through 2017.
  • In March, Mustang sales of 12,563 cars in the United States outperformed sales of 12,248 for the new Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger combined, according to published figures. Mustang was the best-selling sports coupe in the U.S. for all of 2015 and through the first quarter of 2016 .
  • While much of the growth in Mustang demand in the United States has come from coastal markets – especially Southern California – and millennials opting for the 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine, buyers in other countries prefer the V8,”
  • To date, more than 16,600 customers in Europe have ordered a Ford Mustang, which went on sale there last summer. Shipments from Flat Rock Assembly Plant, exclusive production home to Mustang, began in the latter half of 2015.
  • In Germany, Mustang was the best-selling sports coupe in March, according to data published by German Federal Motor Transport Authority, KBA. The country also has the highest international take-rate for the convertible model, with one in three sales.
  • Mustang was the best-selling sports coupe last month in France, according to data from the Association Auxilliaire de l’Automobile. Ford sold 339 Mustangs in France in first-quarter 2016.
  • In fourth-quarter 2015, Mustang was the best-selling sports coupe in China as exports made their way to dealerships in volume, according to IHS registration data. Buyers in China favor EcoBoost versions.
  • In its first three months on sale in Australia, Mustang ranks as the best-selling sports coupe. Demand is so strong, the pony car was initially sold out through 2017.
Source

Last edited by johannskaria : 22nd April 2016 at 01:05.
johannskaria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 16:05   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A superb article & discussion on the Mustang's European success - TTAC.

Quote:
What it is that most American automakers don’t get and what they can learn from this example? European customers are not interested only in small, sophisticated four-cylinder cars. They want big, cool American cars they know from the movies. They just don’t want them to look completely terrible on the inside, and they won’t live with the rear axle on a sports car.

The American cars that sell the best in Europe are those that look most American. The biggest hit for Chrysler? The 300C (and gray import Challengers aren’t doing so bad, either). The most popular Cadillac? Of course, the Escalade. But a Lancia-badged Chrysler 300C? Nah, they won’t fall for that. A four-cylinder Cadillac ATS or even CTS? Dude, where’s my V6?

The Mustang is like a hamburger. It’s quintessentially American, and while you won’t see us Europeans ditching our pasta or Wienerschnitzel for it, we still like to indulge from time to time. A part of us will always like a nice pony car, as much as we like those burgers.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 21:05   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A superb article & discussion on the Mustang's European success - TTAC.
We will have to see how this develops. Lets put things into the correct perspective. Yes this Mustang did very well during the last few months in Germany. I don’t know about other markets. The absolute numbers sold compared to the total numbers of cars in Germany is absolutely minute.

Of course, it’s, at least price wise, a car that is positioned well above the average family saloon. So it is unlikely to sell in vast numbers to start with.

The article suggest this car sells extremely well in all of Europe. So far I have not seen other data than from Germany. Geographically speaking, all of Europe is more then 50 countries including Russia!

See https://www.countries-ofthe-world.co...of-europe.html

They might have meant European Union, which would “only” be 28 countries.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union

Do we really think countries like Poland, Slovania, Malta, Lithuania, Czech Republic etc. will be ordering Mustangs in the same (relative) quantities as ze Germans? I don’t think so!

If I go by the total number of Mustangs sold in Europe, by Ford’s own published numbers, see http://left-lane.com/european-car-sa.../ford-mustang/ it’s pretty clear this is mostly a German phenomena.

Also note, Ford’s definition of Europe does not comply with anybodies geographical, political or economical definition of Europe. Which is just another proof point that Americans have absolutely no clue what Europe is all about. They don’t even know which countries belong to Europe and or to the EC. And they happily advertise their complete ignorance in their PR figures.

Although I don’t read all European car magazines, I do read a few English, German, and Dutch ones. I can honestly say that apart from it being mentioned in some German publications, it is not something that is making headlines, yet, in the European automotive press as far as I can tell. In all honesty, I do not subscribe to Kosovo Auto weekly, nor to the local TG for Moldova.

American cars have never done particularly well anywhere in Europe, the EC, the Benelux, or the Schengen Countries for that matter. It was always a very small group of enthousiast who would be smitten by them.

With this Mustang it seems at least a couple of thousand Germans are taking their chances. Which is saying something, because the Germans are very picky when it comes to their cars. We will see. My money is on the fact that this is just a little group of German US muscle car enthusiast who finally can buy an affordable, reasonably, made American car. As the alternatives are exceptionally well made, but boring BMW, Audi and Mercedes, that are more or less a dime a dozen, especially in Germany, I’d say they all made an interesting choice. At least different. Different always gets my vote!

The Ford Capri to which the article eludes, was an European designed and produced car. And whilst it was hugely popular it wasn’t a muscle car by any stretch of the imagination. It did come with an interesting range of engines.

However, the big numbers were sold to family men who could just afford a 1.3 or 1.6 L engine. But it looked the part! I have owned a nice 2.0L (still no muscle car, but I did pretend it was!) Anybody that bought a Capri, would also grow a mustache. Men and women alike! Legally you are only allowed to drive a Capri, anywhere in Europe sporting a moustache and a very large pair of shades. Even at night, especially at night.

This car was aimed at the general public. They had champagne taste, but beer money budget. So you got a great looking saloon, that would fit the whole family, granny and the family dog, looked great and nobody cared it had a pathetic 1.3L engine. This was about dads with families and boring jobs, given the chance to look all flashy and cool.

We had a few dads in our street who bought them. Their sons, my pals, were immediate heroes! My dad on the other hand still drove a DKW! Not so cool, to put it mildly!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Capri

And of course, some of the coolest dudes on the telly drove Capri’s. Sweeney and the Professionals to name a few. Put me in a Capri and I will immediately pretend to be Doyle. I still have the theme song as a ring tone on my phone!

http://www.mark-1.co.uk/Professionals/profcars.htm

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks