Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2016, 14:17   #1
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra launches XUV500 Automatic in Australia, Kenya & now Qatar

The facelifted Mahindra XUV500 Automatic was launched in India last year (click here to read official review). Now the vehicle has been launched in Australia.
Mahindra launches XUV500 Automatic in Australia, Kenya & now Qatar-xuv-500-australia.jpg
The XUV500 Automatic will be available at Mahindra dealerships in two variants - W8 2WD and W8 AWD. The transmission is a second-generation 6-speed automatic gearbox, which has been sourced from AISIN, Japan.

The vehicle comes with a 2.2-litre, 4-cylinder, diesel engine that produces 140 BHP @ 3,750 rpm and 330 Nm @ 1600-2800 rpm. The car also features daytime running lights (DRLs), a reversing camera with dynamic assist, 7-inch satellite navigation system, Bluetooth music, phone connectivity, 3 ISOFIX child seat anchors in the second row, 12V charging sockets, tyre pressure monitoring system, ESC with rollover mitigation, ABS with EBD, hill hold and hill descent control.

The XUV500 Automatic will be available in 6 colour options - Pearl White, Sunset Orange, Tuscan Red, Dolphin Grey, Moondust Silver and Volcano Black.

Prices:

W8 2WD Manual - $29,900
W8 AWD Manual - $32,900
W8 2WD Automatic - $31,900
W8 AWD Automatic - $34,900
Omkar is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 15:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra launches XUV500 Automatic in Australia, Kenya & now Qatar

I am amazed at how Mahindra is taking Indian customers for a ride. If mahindra can introduce W8 AWD Automatic in Australia why not in India?
DieselFan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 16:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

I don't think in Mature Markets, things like a Mahindra with its local products which are Made in India, Made for India ever works.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 16:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I am amazed at how Mahindra is taking Indian customers for a ride. If mahindra can introduce W8 AWD Automatic in Australia why not in India?
Market dynamics.

Just as nowadays small cars come with more safety kit options, you will see AWD+auto combos migrate to lower price points in a few years. One company needs to do it and everyone will follow overnight.

Till then they are happy milking the customer :(
Old 6th May 2016, 17:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Because W8 is the only variant sold in Australia, the bling bling W10 is made for India.

Even I feel W8 is the most sensible variant, and AT+AWD should have been offered in this variant and even the W6.
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 20:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post

W8 2WD Manual - $29,900
W8 AWD Manual - $32,900
W8 2WD Automatic - $31,900
W8 AWD Automatic - $34,900
A lame question, but are these prices in Australian dollar or US dollar?
Old 6th May 2016, 22:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaybaikar View Post
A lame question, but are these prices in Australian dollar or US dollar?
Au dollar. USD would've made it quite pricey and out of Mahindra's league.
Doge is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 06:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I don't think in Mature Markets, things like a Mahindra with its local products which are Made in India, Made for India ever works.
Not really. Quite a few people looking to replace their 30 year old clunker will look at an XUV and see value for money. A brand new top-of-the range, 7 seater SUV with all the bells and whistles for $34k drive away. And Indian brands have a higher brand reputation/value than Chinese brands here anyway, so that works in Mahindra's favour. Many people at the lower end of the market will go for a Mahindra XUV, and why not, it's fully loaded and many dealers offer discounts and freebies (like mats, paint protection etc, I know a local Mahindra dealer who did this with the Mahindra Pik-Up line of utes). And people who buy such cars like the Mahindra because it's not trying to pretend to be anything other than a cheap, affordable SUV with decent build quality.

It will sell, but not in numbers like the mainstream brands and not like it does in India obviously, but it will still sell. I've seen quite a few XUV 500s on the roads lately.
Jeeper1941 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 12:42   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If a Fortuner can sell in Australia, why can't the XUV500? I would buy an XUV500 AT 9 times out of 10 over the Fortuner AT (1/10 would be if I absolutely needed that offroad ability).

Mahindra has impressively mated the AT to the XUV500's engine. It's as good as any from that segment. What's more, presence in a market like Australia will teach Mahindra a lot of things which - in the end - will improve their product. Good for us customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Just as nowadays small cars come with more safety kit options, you will see AWD+auto combos migrate to lower price points in a few years.
I don't think it's quite the same. Everyone stands to benefit from safety features. However, AWD isn't for everyone. Unless you are going to put it to use, no point in the extra cost, weight & maintenance.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 13:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
W8 is the only variant there. I've not checked the equipment levels in the car sold in Australia, but I think Mahindra wants to prioritize production for the Indian market and hence may not offer the W10 as of now.

Many Australians love to drive off the road in the outbacks. An AWD can't take you in very rough terrain, but can easily take you to a camping site or an attraction off the road. So Mahindra has offered AWD in the MT and AT variants.

Quote:
A Mahindra Bolero or a Tata Sumo won't sell in Australia. The XUV should.
But credit to Mahindra for making a fabulous car. The XUV is wonderful in every aspect other that the occasional niggle.

Mahindra's QC needs more attention.

Quote:
AWD+auto combos
Not happening. Europe has snow and heavy rain in some parts, hence making AWDs common. No chance you'll see a Swift AWD sold in India. Indian conditions don't require it.
Old 8th May 2016, 23:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Gents, IMHO there is no reason why AWD-AT is offered only on W10 by Mahindra and not on say W4. I believe that if competition offered AWD AT on entry level variants, we would see Mahindra follow suit.

However, given that Duster has only offered AMT in India, this scenario remains my wish only!

PS: I'm not going into the overall market demand for AWD. That's plays a part, but not the only part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't think it's quite the same. Everyone stands to benefit from safety features. However, AWD isn't for everyone. Unless you are going to put it to use, no point in the extra cost, weight & maintenance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Not happening. Europe has snow and heavy rain in some parts, hence making AWDs common. No chance you'll see a Swift AWD sold in India. Indian conditions don't require it.

Last edited by phamilyman : 8th May 2016 at 23:07.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 23:16   #12
Team-BHP Support

Out of curiousity, I just read some reviews of XUV 500 AT in Australian automotive websites. It gets something like 6 or 7 out of 10.

Comments section of those reviews are neutral to mildly positive. Many know XUV 500 because apparently they've seen a couple of them on the road, with Indians behind the wheel !!
Old 9th May 2016, 07:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe that if competition offered AWD AT on entry level variants, we would see Mahindra follow suit.
You're right. It'll be similar to the airbag scenario. Many hatchbacks were offering ABS and airbags only in the top variant, but not they offer the same in the mid level trims and some hatchbacks offer it across all trims too.

But AWD isn't as critical as airbags. I'm sure Mahindra will continue to sell AWD+AT combo in W10 variant for a long time. I must also add that it's not difficult for Mahindra to sell a W4 AWD. They just have to adjust their production/inventory management and add a few electronics to the W4 from the W8.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 15:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If a Fortuner can sell in Australia, why can't the XUV500? I would buy an XUV500 AT 9 times out of 10 over the Fortuner AT (1/10 would be if I absolutely needed that offroad ability).
Because the competition in those countries is just leagues ahead when it comes to quality, brand name and customer perception.

Look at an example of what a Mahindra XUV 5oo review looks like in Australia

--> http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-revi...731-3cvn8.html

Its an August 2014 one, but still relevant. Some of the reviewers in other reviews have even compared XUV to a cheap Chinese product and asked its readers to stay away from it.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 15:45   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Look at an example of what a Mahindra XUV 5oo review looks like in Australia

--> http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-revi...731-3cvn8.html

Its an August 2014 one, but still relevant. Some of the reviewers in other reviews have even compared XUV to a cheap Chinese product and asked its readers to stay away from it.
Very biased review, by a biased reviewer.

Here's a review of XUV 500 AT
http://www.caradvice.com.au/415194/2...omatic-review/

Do a Google search and you will find more similar reviews. Mahindra invited lots of Australian/NZ Jounos to India for the launch/test drive of XUV 500 AT.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks