Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2016, 12:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Paris does a Delhi, bans cars older than 1997 from plying on weekdays

Quote:
Paris has issued a law that puts a ban on cars made before 1997, and motorcycles made before 1999, from the city roads on weekdays (Monday-Friday). The move follows an earlier order issued in July 2015, which banned heavy polluting vehicles such as buses, and heavy transport vehicles registered before 2001 from driving on the streets.

According to a French daily, the law was passed by Anne Hidalgo, Paris Mayor, and Groupement des autorites responsables de transport (GART), in association with the French Environment Ministry. The law is set to come into effect from 01st. June.
Paris does a Delhi, bans cars older than 1997 from plying on weekdays-parispollution_story_647_060116063631.jpg

India Today
Sommos is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 13:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Paris does a Delhi, bans cars older than 1997 from plying on weekdays

The law is fair

1: People were given enough notice

2: The economic life of a car is 8-10 years

Only losers are classic cars - maybe they should be allowed on weekends or pay a special surcharge
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 16:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Only losers are classic cars - maybe they should be allowed on weekends or pay a special surcharge
The ban is only on weekdays, no?

As per the India Today article,
Quote:
Taking a cue from Delhi-NCR's diesel ban on vehicles of over 2000cc engine, Paris has issued a law that puts a ban on cars made before 1997, and motorcycles made before 1999, from the city roads on weekdays (Monday-Friday). The move follows an earlier order issued in July 2015, which banned heavy polluting vehicles such as buses, and heavy transport vehicles registered before 2001 from driving on the streets.
It's true! No, really!
Viju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 17:03   #4
BANNED

One major difference. I will be surprised if even 1% cars older than 10 years survive in Paris. Over here the percentage is far higher. Factors, cost vis a vis income, usage for long distance driving.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will be surprised if even 1% cars older than 10 years survive in Paris.
I have never been to Paris, so I don't know. You may be right.

But from whatever I have seen in Germany, and heard from my colleagues, they do use their cars much longer than what we do in India. My colleagues have sold their cars after using for 300,000 - 500,000 miles (not kilometers). Of course they can afford to buy new cars, but most of them don't feel the need to. The roads are good, the fuel is clean and the vehicles just go on and on with regular oil and filter changes.

The point I am trying to make is, the distance done by a 5 or 6 year old car in Europe may be much more than a car in India, but it is possibly in a much better condition (even emissions-wise).
Viju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:53   #6
BHPian

Its good to know that they didn't completely ban the use of older vehicles unlike here where the bans are more illogical and based on kneejerk reactions.
An average car used anywhere within Europe will still be more mechanically sound mainly due to less traffic conditions, better roads, cooler air which helps engines burn fuel better and better maintained. Compared to an average car in India our traffic wears out most of the car components at a faster rate. The heat plays it's part as well not to forget most owners seldom care about maintaining their car in top notch conditions. Here owners don't care spending on maintenance as long as the car is running.
Skyline_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 22:56   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Global Bans Commencing on Fossil Fuel Powered Vehicles

Paris is banning entry of all motor vehicles registered before 1997, w.e.f. July 1st, 2016. These constitute about 10 % of the vehicle population in Paris. Again the environmental groups are active here and have singled out the older and diesel powered vehicles. And the news says that by 2020 they plan to ban all vehicles registered before 2010. Violators are in for a nasty surprise. Those who violate the rule can face a fine of up to €35 ($39), or €78 as on January 1st, 2017. The ban will be enforced the old-fashioned way: with random checkpoints set up throughout the city.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/1/118...n-smog-traffic

However, the fédération française des véhicules d'époque – an association that represents French classic car owners and enthusiasts – is still working hard to get the ban lifted for vintage cars. Paris is home to numerous top-dollar British, German, and Italian classics, and the city hosts the annual Rétromobile show. Several protests are planned in the coming weeks, and a class-action lawsuit has already been filed against the city of Paris by motorists who believe the government should help them buy a post-1997 car.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/06/w...lassic-owners/

Norway, another European country is considering a ban on all fossil fuel powered cars by 2025. Car makerTesla was quick to act and picked up the news. The government however said “no talk of banning the sale of diesel and petrol vehicles in 2025 as one would be led to believe in Dagens Næringsliv," (The newspaper reporting the matter). Norway is quite ahead in alternate fuel car registrations. Electric car and plug-in hybrid registrations in Norway totaled 5,102 in March, which represented about 36.7 percent of the total 13,875 registrations for the month.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-gasoline-cars

Are these indicators and barometers that show us some writings on the wall of the times to come ? Major cities such as London, Beijing, and Milan have enacted similar measures in recent years in a bid to curb air pollution; Rome has even gone as far as banning all cars and motorcycles for six-hour periods.

The NGT in India is at loggerheads with diesel powered vehicles and is also all out throttle their production as well as ban older vehicles.

The lawmakers and enforcers must fully understand engineering basics. Maintenence of engines matter, no matter howsoever new or old as far as pollution is concerned.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th June 2016 at 23:15.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 11:12   #8
BANNED

Re: Paris does a Delhi, bans cars older than 1997 from plying on weekdays

@anjan_2007; Norway is a small country, so the 300+km range for Tesla is enough. Also, I am sure with cheap and plentiful hydro-electric power a recharge will be far cheaper than fuel. I am a skeptic of all this stuff. When I used to work (mid 1980s) on Hydrogen energy, the Hydrogen economy was 'round the corner', it still is!?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks