Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2016, 14:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fiat and Uber in talks over driverless car partnership

Fiat Chrysler Automotive is reportedly in talks with Uber over a potential partnership to develop driverless cars in the future. Sources close to the developments suggest that the talks are still in the preliminary phase, while an official announcement might be made around the end of this year, if things work out properly between the two companies.

If the above stated partnership does become a reality, Fiat will be responsible for providing hardware (cars) for the self-driving car project, while Uber will be in-charge of the software. This is an interesting proposition, as Fiat is currently a debt-laden company that doesn't have the financial power to develop necessary softwares for an autonomous vehicle. Uber, on the other hand, doesn't have expertise in developing cars. As a result, both the companies are trying to gather help from each other.

Interestingly, both Fiat and Uber have approached other companies in the past for their respective driverless car projects. Fiat has even managed to strike a deal with Google, where the Italian automaker has supplied new 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid minivans to the US-based tech-giant. Google will now test its autonomous driving technology on these Pacifica minivans. Uber too has been in talks with Toyota over the self-driving car project.

Other companies trying to venture into the self-driving car scene include major automakers like Audi, Ford, Mercedes, Lexus, Tesla and BMW. Amazon Inc. too is looking for the potential to use self-driving cars for increasing efficiency of distribution and deliveries of the e-commerce giant.

Source: Bloomberg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 9th June 2016 at 15:03.
dZired is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 21:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat and Uber in talks over driverless car partnership

Google is fairly in advance stage with respect to testing of prototypes of driverless cars. At present Google is running this program across multiple regions. Also Google has the kind of financial and political muscle required to move things quickly with policy makers.

Uber will reasonably behind, yet its good to have multiple players aiming at the same goal. Lets hope we get to see driverless cars in operation at the turn of this decade.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 00:29   #3
BHPian

Tesla already has this feature which was provided as a software update.
I have tried out this feature on freeway, but no way I could keep my hands away from steering . 0 % confidence at higher speed ( basically its issue with me ) Car was fantastic and even their software is really good. Owner was able able to use this feature properly on freeways with designated lane markers. Its like getting used to it.

Meanwhile is there any study conducted about the impact this might cause related to jobs. We can easily equate each cab driver earning as a source to feed his family. I would not like India to adopt driver less car feature and instead companies should bring in different ways to track and safeguard passenger pedestrian safety in case of accidents and even better turbo powered/hybrid combinations/fully electric compact engines with higher range

I would love driver assist but never a driver less car in my garage.

Team-bhpians "Live to Drive"
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 11:17   #4
BHPian

Rahul,

Its hard to implement driverless cars in India due to the lack of consistency and abundance of chaos. That's the only thing that will keep them away for say half a decade once they come out in US. But that's just unfortunate. We need a lot of electric self driving cars to displace the air pollution in our cities, to reduce congestion, looking for parking, and road fatalities. If a driverless car can pick me up from my home and drop me in front of my office, that'll save a lot of time and hassle by sparing me from all the security check and having to drive four floors up and squeeze in a tight parking spot. You can always have your fun long distance driving on the weekends.

I for one am looking forward to them.
sreeharipv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks