Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2006, 06:47   #16
Team-BHP Support

Hmmmmm

When I first saw the Bangled 7 pics, I thought yuck but after seeing "rudrarised" Bangles BMW - Gleaming Black with low profile wheels in London, my tongue fell out. Basically it takes getting used to. The latest 7 IMHO looks good. The 5 is ok but the detailed styling - lights and grille let it down.

The new 3 is very plain jane - back looks like an old japanese car in my opinion

Bangle in Black - yummmy, Bangle in white - eeeks
Bangle in brown or burgundy look anonymous

Anyway, people seem to vote for the BMW with their wallets judging by the increase in year on year sales. While t-bhp'ians would buy them for their dynamics, most humble mortals buy it for style/ brand statements
Old 4th October 2006, 08:24   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Opinions have been split right down the middle - either you didnt like Bangle-ized BMWs, or you loved them. While I havent heard of BMW & Bangle getting new fans, know people who switched brands because of Bangle.

M7, those are two lovely, love-to-have machines there.
Old 4th October 2006, 08:53   #18
BHPian

One of his more-controversial design elements is the two-level "Bangle-butt". Although criticized by many, this element has been copied by various Japanese and Korean companies and now even the merc.

I disagree, its bangle who copied the raised boot lid from Maybach..which Merc followed in their latest designs..
Old 4th October 2006, 19:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino

One of his more-controversial design elements is the two-level "Bangle-butt". Although criticized by many, this element has been copied by various Japanese and Korean companies and now even the merc.

I disagree, its bangle who copied the raised boot lid from Maybach..which Merc followed in their latest designs..
Vino buddy the maybach and the e65 were introduced in 2002. And bangle copying the design is out of the question. It is the merc and the other cars like who have also copied the I-Drive and the electronic touchbutton gear selector and other designs from the E65. also the Bangle butt would not be called the Bangle Butt if mercedes had introduced it first. It is not a term coined by bmw or chris bangle.
If you see cars of any particular era, and a particular country, their designs are almost similar during that era.( see 50's rounded 60's chrome and finned, etc)
Old 4th October 2006, 22:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

The Bangle desings, esp the 5,6 and 7 series look very modern..futuristic.

But the old M3 and the ,740il were simply classic designs.
Old 5th October 2006, 04:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp
I gotta say one thing , among the bangled BMW's , 6 - series is an exception . Its great . I feel one of the best looking 2+2 coupe .

Amen. Current M6 is hot. M5 is not bad either.
Old 5th October 2006, 05:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16
Vino buddy the maybach and the e65 were introduced in 2002. And bangle copying the design is out of the question. It is the merc and the other cars like who have also copied the I-Drive and the electronic touchbutton gear selector and other designs from the E65. also the Bangle butt would not be called the Bangle Butt if mercedes had introduced it first. It is not a term coined by bmw or chris bangle.
If you see cars of any particular era, and a particular country, their designs are almost similar during that era.( see 50's rounded 60's chrome and finned, etc)
Also, BMW always had the image of a sporty car for a younger generation. On the other hand Mercedes was more about a little older generation concentrating more on comfort but less on performance.

Now, imo Mercedes is trying to copy BMW by making cars which look more sporty and also perform well (55's & 63's AMG), just to attract the younger generation.

Cars like CLS, New S, and I'm sure the new C will be extremely different and not Merc like. But there is something about the BMW which hasn't changed forever and I hope it doesn't. The amazing round low beam headlights
Old 5th October 2006, 11:21   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A little known fact is that Chris Bangle was a part of the design team in charge of the E39 5 series.....a favorite with most petrolheads in terms of design. So its not that he has not designed good cars, its only that the new designs outright SUCK (IMHO). Firstly, why do they have to be so weird? Where are the clean smooth flowing lines that defined BMWs?

Look at the graceful way that W126', W140's, E39's and E38's have aged. These sedans still look darn good, and will continue to do so even after another decade or two. Do you seriously think that the current Bangled designs will stand the test of time?

I am sorry but I will never be able to digest Bangle designs. And that is the primary reason why new BMWs are off my shopping list. My style is more of clean, understated and timeless.

@Steeroid : Yup, I certainly can see a Jim Carrey type of character walking out of a Bangled 7 series. Well put.

@Ajmat : Yup. Money talks and money votes. Judging from their sales figures, I guess it worked out pretty well for the Quandt family.

Last edited by GTO : 5th October 2006 at 11:24.
Old 5th October 2006, 14:01   #24
BHPian

Mr. , pls recall the 1996 Tokyo Motor Show. It was on that show the first preent day Maybach concept (ofcoure on Merc badge) was showcased. The boot treatment was similar to the date. So kindly ustand that its not BMW first introduced it.

In the auto-world, technology are copied always by all the manufactures. Merc might have made its COMAND similar to that of i-drive. Anyway the COMAND is user-friendly than the i-drive.

BM-guys, pls bare in mind that lot of latest techs in Merc are not even seen in any Beemers, like the Distronic, Pre-safe, ABC, etc. And most those tech in BMW came only after Merc like Night-view assist, Sat-navigation, etc.

Merc are always a marque of luxury, it make luxury cars with sporty character to capture the potential market. So does the BMW & others too, they are trying to make cars to capture the luxury car market. Its not that who make what type of car, but its counted, how these car perform. And I strongly believe that Merc has succeded with thier vision.
Old 5th October 2006, 20:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

hey dude Vino....

Hey dude Vino , cool it man .....just share your opinion. Great to know that you are an MB fan .
Old 5th October 2006, 22:39   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/06/05/b...e-bmw-designs/
Old 6th October 2006, 03:46   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
The reader comment/opinions in the above link clearly shows there are lots of people who didn't like the Bangle design. I think people who wish BMW's should look more masculine than curvy/funny dislike bangle’s design.
Old 6th October 2006, 11:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

I would have prefered BMW to have evolved like an Audi , new but still holding on to its traditional lines and curves .....though BMW thankfully has still adopted the Kidney's.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st July 2007 at 00:54. Reason: size tags removed
Old 31st October 2006, 00:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino
Mr. , pls recall the 1996 Tokyo Motor Show. It was on that show the first preent day Maybach concept (ofcoure on Merc badge) was showcased. The boot treatment was similar to the date. So kindly ustand that its not BMW first introduced it.

In the auto-world, technology are copied always by all the manufactures. Merc might have made its COMAND similar to that of i-drive. Anyway the COMAND is user-friendly than the i-drive.

BM-guys, pls bare in mind that lot of latest techs in Merc are not even seen in any Beemers, like the Distronic, Pre-safe, ABC, etc. And most those tech in BMW came only after Merc like Night-view assist, Sat-navigation, etc.

Merc are always a marque of luxury, it make luxury cars with sporty character to capture the potential market. So does the BMW & others too, they are trying to make cars to capture the luxury car market. Its not that who make what type of car, but its counted, how these car perform. And I strongly believe that Merc has succeded with thier vision.
There is no end to the fight between merc and bmw as to who made which first...well going by the production models and not prototypes bmw and mercs have brought in models with atleast 1 unique feature which is better than the other...however as per date a little knowledge I would share in this small town of DUBAI, BMW 7 series holds its head high in terms of sale and popularity compared to the latest gen S class.BMW is also coming with an elite version of the 7 series especially for the UAE market..forgot the exact name though...
from my point of view the new S class copies the same Dash design, trunk lid, the controller position as of a BMW 7 SERIES CAR.
Old 31st October 2006, 21:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

First they Bangle-ise a perfect 7 series (E38) and then the understate the Bangle. However Bangled cars are growing on us and toning down the lines seems to be a good idea keeping the Bangle design cue-s (like the Butt)intact but understated..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks