Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2016, 15:29   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: New Suzuki Jimny in 2018

Maruti Suzuki confirms its much awaited crossover Jimny for India. Time frame will be known soon.

Other projects in pipeline for India - New Swift and the S Cross facelift version

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-capture.jpg

Source

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th August 2016 at 15:35.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 15:47   #17
Team-BHP Support

I just hope they won't castrate the Jimny by removing the 4WD. Then it could even show up at RFC competitions. Wow, that will be nice, to see some competition.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 15:56   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I just hope they won't castrate the Jimny by removing the 4WD.
Jimny is reported to get the 4x4 as standard, but could be configured differently for India!
Feedback to Suzuki is to retain its current DNA on the new Jimny.

Quote:
The current Jimny (which has been on sale since 1998 and sells around 1,000 units a year in Britain) will soldier until at least 2018, before being replaced by a new car showcasing a different look but relying on a no-nonsense, mud-plugging cocktail of a ladder chassis and permanent four-wheel drive
Source
Old 5th August 2016, 22:21   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki confirms its much awaited crossover Jimny for India.
Are they referring to awd ignis as jimny? Two reasons for this query: i) jimny is an suv and not a crossover, while ignis is. ii) an earlier news mentions new jimny will be built on baleno's platform, on which ignis is also built.
Old 5th August 2016, 23:08   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I really wish they would bring this in immediately.
I saw it in 2004 in the Koramangala Indoor Stadium when they showcased it here.

Ive seen many of them abroad.
This is the perfect little Urban SUV + Tiny OffRoader - absolutely ideal for a youngster or young family even.

If Mahindra can market that KUV100, then I just DO NOT UNDERSTAND MARUTI's IDIOCY in not having launched this all these years in addition to the GYPSY.

After all, the sheer number of variants that they have across their model range is probably the most across manufacturers here in India.

What on earth prevents their IDIOT MANAGEMENT from bringing this lovely vehicle here?

I'll never understand their mentality, for sure!

Same goes for Toyota - it could have brought in the lovely RAV4 here a long time back, to cater to those who want an Urban SUV with secure lockable full metal body and fantastic off roading ability!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 03:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I really wish they would bring this in immediately.
I saw it in 2004 in the Koramangala Indoor Stadium when they showcased it here.

Ive seen many of them abroad.
This is the perfect little Urban SUV + Tiny OffRoader - absolutely ideal for a youngster or young family even.

If Mahindra can market that KUV100, then I just DO NOT UNDERSTAND MARUTI's IDIOCY in not having launched this all these years in addition to the GYPSY.

After all, the sheer number of variants that they have across their model range is probably the most across manufacturers here in India.

What on earth prevents their IDIOT MANAGEMENT from bringing this lovely vehicle here?

I'll never understand their mentality, for sure!

Same goes for Toyota - it could have brought in the lovely RAV4 here a long time back, to cater to those who want an Urban SUV with secure lockable full metal body and fantastic off roading ability!
You're speaking for thousands of us out there Shankar.

Well, it is great news indeed if true however the catch here is the “New”.

In its current guise Jimny has existed as a quintessential no nonsense off roader in Europe, Australia, parts of South America & some parts of Africa.

What we don’t need Suzuki is to saddle it with one dozen cup holders, all kinds of electronic nannies, add two more doors & lots of chrome, that god awful chrome that I see everywhere now. If I want any/all of this there are a number of options available in the market.

There’s already a rumour that Suzuki plans to replace Jimny’s Drive Action 4X4 with Suzuki’s All Grip All Wheel Drive System (sounds wrong already). What those change will do to it’s off roading capability, I don’t know. A ladder type chassis with a dual ratio low range transfer case is a basic requirement in a 4X4 & if Suzuki decides to take that away (in all its wisdom) then I’m simply not interested.

Jimny like Gypsy is loved all over the world for its simplicity of design, ability to go off-road and many a times embarrass much more accomplished 4X4s while doing so.

I’m afraid Suzuki in its zeal to offer more practicality & please a wider target audience will dial it down & with it will go one of the last affordable 4X4s that will be missed as much by Scottish farmers as by already deprived thousands of enthusiasts from India. There are more than adequate number of cute utes available from a large number of manufacturers, we don’t need one more.

Or should we be just grateful that Suzuki has finally relented and decided to make it here; that is almost a blessing actually as many would be glad to lay their hands on one in whichever form. I have read somewhere that Jeep is also working hard to bring an India specific SUV to the market within a certain price bracket but for all we know it will be another stripped down cross over with just a badge.

So is Jimny actually our best bet as far as an affordable 4X4 with a reasonably good off roading ability is concerned; probably yes.

I know that car designers everywhere are under tremendous pressure to improve emissions & fuel economy as governments around the world are mandating those stricter parameters however it is very much possible to maintain character of a vehicle even as some of its functions/design are improved/modernized; just look at Land Rover Defender (oh no, it is also being discontinued..). Well, as Bon Dylan once famously said, ”The times, they are a- changin'….”Or maybe not (let’s all hope that Suzuki proves us wrong).
Attached Thumbnails
New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-2016suzukijimnyrear.jpg  

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 6th August 2016 at 04:12.
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 06:53   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
I’m afraid Suzuki in its zeal to offer more practicality & please a wider target audience will dial it down & with it will go one of the last affordable 4X4s that will be missed as much by Scottish farmers as by already deprived thousands of enthusiasts from India. There are more than adequate number of cute utes available from a large number of manufacturers, we don’t need one more.

Or should we be just grateful that Suzuki has finally relented and decided to make it here; that is almost a blessing actually as many would be glad to lay their hands on one in whichever form. I have read somewhere that Jeep is also working hard to bring an India specific SUV to the market within a certain price bracket but for all we know it will be another stripped down cross over with just a badge.

So is Jimny actually our best bet as far as an affordable 4X4 with a reasonably good off roading ability is concerned; probably yes.
. Well, as Bon Dylan once famously said, ”The times, they are a- changin'….”Or maybe not (let’s all hope that Suzuki proves us wrong).

Maruti Suzuki sadly, exists only to serve the Middle of the Road boys in India - thats where their big big bucks come from. Just like the Politician will only serve his vote bank, so will Maruti only serve the "Dont Rock the Boat" masses.

People like us are a minority and I guess, shall remain a minority forevermore....
Old 6th August 2016, 10:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Are they referring to awd ignis as jimny? Two reasons for this query: i) jimny is an suv and not a crossover, while ignis is. ii) an earlier news mentions new jimny will be built on baleno's platform, on which ignis is also built.
Exactly, those are my thoughts. Jimny would lose its unique character if it is built as crossover on the Baleno platform. In that sense, even the Brezza is a cross-over - so all the more reason for the Jimny to represent a real-SUV in Maruti's stable.
Old 6th August 2016, 11:21   #24
BHPian

I hope you all realise that the Jimny in its current avatar was designed in 1998 which makes it older than the ill fated original Baleno, and as old as the original Indica.

The gypsy is just brilliant off-road but hopeless on-road and according to most reviews the Jimny is only slightly better, so if launched will appeal only to a niche market.
Old 6th August 2016, 11:48   #25
Team-BHP Support

After driving the Grand Vitara for nearly 9 years, I am not so opposed to Monocoque 4x4. In smaller vehicles like Jimny, monocoque can be resilient. It is not a load carrier.

But if they stretch the wheelbase and make it 2WD, then all bets are off.
Old 6th August 2016, 11:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
After driving the Grand Vitara for nearly 9 years, I am not so opposed to Monocoque 4x4. In smaller vehicles like Jimny, monocoque can be resilient. It is not a load carrier.

But if they stretch the wheelbase and make it 2WD, then all bets are off.
The Jimny has a hard core ladder frame, no monocoque here.

http://www.globalsuzuki.com/automobile/lineup/jimny/
Old 6th August 2016, 11:58   #27
Team-BHP Support

I am very much aware of it. But if it is to share baleno/ignis chassis, it will be monocoque.
Old 6th August 2016, 12:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I am very much aware of it. But if it is to share baleno/ignis chassis, it will be monocoque.
Well if they did that then it really wouldn't be a Jimny, it would be a completely new model because you just can't slap a body onto a monocoque shell.

Cheers.
Old 6th August 2016, 12:17   #29
Team-BHP Support

But you are asking for the impossible. A 1998 design will not pass the Indian CMVR. The chassis design has undergone huge evolution since the 90s, like any other technology. If the Jimny has to remain on ladder frame, they will have build a new ladder frame to pass the modern regulations.
Old 6th August 2016, 19:56   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Suzuki statement last year on Jimny replacement,during the iM-4 /Ignis making,
Quote:
Upon promising a replacement, Suzuki also reportedly promised that the new Jimny would not become a ‘soft-roader’ - instead retaining its rugged off-road ability.
Source
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks