Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2018, 19:05   #376
BHPian

Re: New Suzuki Jimny in 2018

Which is the better looking grille? - the Jeep-esque grille or the FJ Cruiser-esque grille

This is mostly my next car - provided the 4 door version comes here. Heck, even the 2 door looks mighty tempting. Just pack some luggage and drive off to Ladakh - you can actually do it with this one without worrying too much.
Old 16th August 2018, 16:16   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Traffic Sign recognition for Suzuki Jimny,

And some off-road and on-road impressive drives,

Old 19th August 2018, 18:46   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny waiting period in Japan as on Aug 5th:

- Jimny is over a year and a half

- Jimny Sierra claims @ ~ 3 years!

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-p1.jpg
Old 20th August 2018, 11:06   #379
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Gagan Singh for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Gagan shares the following pictures of Jimny he shot in Japan.
New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_4878.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_4871.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_4876.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_4890.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_4889.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_4888.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_4875.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_4883.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_4881.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_4874.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_4872.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_4884.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_4882.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_4885.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_4886.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_4892.jpg
blackwasp is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 12:26   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki rules out Suzuki Jimny for INDIA. Cites volume as the primary reason.

Ray of hope is it will come in the 4 door avatar as Gypsy!

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki is of the opinion that a small 3-door SUV won't drive as much demand as they'd like. The Jimny is a recreational vehicle, and isn't something that most would buy as their primary car. Add the paltry sales numbers of the segment leader, the Thar and the near negligible sales of the Force Gurkha into the mix, and Maruti Suzuki's hesitation seems to have substance.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st August 2018 at 12:36.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 13:00   #381
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
4 door is far from its international unveil as well! There's quite simply no ray of hope, from Maruti Suzuki.

Two bombshells dropped today - in terms of the Swift Sport and Jimny.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 13:38   #382
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki rules out Suzuki Jimny for INDIA. Cites volume as the primary reason.

Link
If this is true, then what a bummer it is! They have something called as Nexa and this was the best chance they had to really cull it out as a premium and exclusive brand! As usual maruti only cares for volumes, these guys are just not passionate about cars
Jaggu is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 16:50   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Ray of hope is it will come in the 4 door avatar as Gypsy.

They are the ones who can afford to launch a nice product in India, yet...

The 5 door isn't even into development yet, even then the earliest is by 2021.

And rest assured they will launch the 4 door with jump seats at back, 2WD and the 1.3 (1.5?) ddis engine. And would say they didn't find it economically viable to engineer the 4WD for the 5door version.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 07:30   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Such a shame!!

It is extreme short-sightedness from Maruti to look at the Thar as a reference.

For all its capabilities and attitude, I will never buy a Thar. It is too crude, not safe, low on fit and finish and bad to drive. And when I say bad to drive, I don't mean it as a corner carver or a high speed machine. Its got the basics very very wrong (the brakes, the steering..) for everyday use. But its such a shoddy job for a vehicle which was created just a few years back.

US market has got it right - it is a UTV side by side. Nothing more. And for that purpose, it does the job well. Mahindra went with profitability on the Thar and severely limited it. The Thar can never replace a car for a family like mine. I don't have the space or the budget to have a car and a UTV side by side.

And the Jimny couldn't be more different. It is a modern vehicle with quality and refinement. Very basic, yes! But to me, the Jimny can replace a car at home. Its compact for the city, safe on the highway and the ideal mountain goat when the going gets tough! The waiting period it already commands in a very mature market like Japan tells half the story.

I was really looking forward to the Jimny. Shame on you Maruti! The Indian market has given you so so much and you will only take the beaten path to keep that share price high!
deetjohn is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 08:48   #385
Senior - BHPian

Why would they care?
According to the latest reports, Suzuki has surpassed BMW for the title of an Auto company with highest Profit Margins of 11.8%.
BMW Loses Title to Suzuki for Biggest Profit Margins in the Auto Industry
Out of which the "Kitna Deta Hai" populace of India form the major market for Suzuki's revenues and profits.
speedmiester is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 10:26   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Link
Well citing low volumes from Thar as a reason for not bringing the Jimny to India?

Well then they should not have brought the Swift here when Getz was managing not-so-good volumes!

And what made them bring the sub-4m Dzire at a time when the Indigo CS was not doing too well? We all know how the Dzire managed to inspire so many compact sedans and what numbers it does today.

Ford launched their sub-4m rockstar Ecosport after looking at Premier Rio duck under 4m to open up the compact SUV segment.

Maruti Suzuki - Why blame the market, when it is your passion and your greed for volumes that is spoiling the party actually?
aravind.anand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 17:49   #387
BHPian

what is stopping them from creating the market with the Jimny.

They are market leaders for god's sake. Create the market from the front. If successful I don't see why they cannot do volumes in the region of a minimum of 2000 units a month. It will be a bigger volume than majority of the manufacturers monthly volumes.

3 door from Maruti or Nexa will create a new segment. I feel tons of city dwellers looking for a second car will seriously consider it for its compact form factor.

Really disappointed with this news. We are still given step motherly treatment by the budget brands. Atleast the luxury ones seem to be better off in this aspect.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd August 2018 at 07:15. Reason: Formatting
indian21r is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 18:08   #388
BANNED

I'd said the same thing 2 months back!

Coming to India?
Probably not.

Gypsy Has A Successor
If it touches down on our shores, then it’ll serve as a replacement for the aging Gypsy. This SUV has chugged along for so long as the Indian defense has regularly placed orders for more. The forces have chosen the Safari as their next vehicle of choice. So the Gypsy will soon be out of production.

Indians Like It Big
The Maruti Jimny, if launched, will have to survive only on sales to private owners. While the demand for SUVs is on the rise, there are, but a few takers for an SUV as small as the Jimny regardless of its capabilities. Since the cars we own are symbolic of our bank balance, we tend to gravitate towards the bigger SUVs even if they can’t hold a candle next to the Jimny.

Niche Don’t Bring Numbers
Just like the Thar, there are buyers who want a small SUV that they can thrash on the weekends. But the numbers aren’t enough to justify local production. And without local production, the Jimny could cost as much as Rs.17 lakh. With that price tag, it wouldn’t matter if the Jimny could fly and swim.

Price In India
If Maruti wants to make an impact, then they’ll have to price the 4X4 Jimny at around Rs. 7.5 lakh (ex-Delhi). Because the Thar 4X4 costs Rs. 9.3 lakh, the Jimny will have to significantly undercut the Mahindra if Maruti is serious about making an impact.

The Thar is a rock solid vehicle that has proven its worth several times over. The Jeep-like styling is properly masculine and the diesel engine also offers an upper hand with extra bottom-end torque and lower fuel consumption. In comparison, the Jimny’s length makes the WagonR look bigger. The Jimny’s petrol engine will need to be revved when tackling obstacles and won’t be nearly as capable as the Thar.

End of the day, the Jimny will come across as a toy-albeit a capable one. I dig that in a vehicle, but only a handful of buyers in India are willing to let their ego take the backseat and consider a smaller vehicle. Anything beyond Rs. 7.5 lakh and Maruti will have to find a graveyard and start digging already.

Maruti’s Dreams Are Bigger Than Jimny
Maruti Suzuki is instead gazing farther into the future and (reportedly) evaluating direct sales of cars and large-scale electric vehicle deployment. That’s certainly more exciting than the micro SUV.

Quote:

Not a fan of 5-door off-roaders. I don't see this happening either.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2018 at 08:47. Reason: As per PM
MaheshY1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 19:37   #389
BHPian

This news brings out the purpose and priority of Suzuki in India, what I learn from this is thinking of of the Suzuki management.

All their plants are running with full capacity, the models they are currently manufacturing are yielding very high profit margins owing to high volume and low market acquisition costs.

Comparatively a Jimmy would yield a leases profit per unit. One Jimmy manufactured would mean one leases DZire/swift made. Which would eventually bring down the per car profit by a small amount ( very small if my guess is right). This company is not passionate about cars as someone said before.

Allow me the Liberty to extrapolate and say for the sake of profitability alone I would expect the safety of their product to be lower. And of lower quality I'm general.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd August 2018 at 07:16. Reason: Formatting
gauravanekar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 21:02   #390
BHPian

Damn. An opportunity lost, sigh. If there was an enhusiast at the helm would have redirected some funds from the CSR budget at least to get it here. A separate assembly line just to shape up a few units for the enthusiasts and those looking for lifestyle products.

Then MS would have realized the demand for such kind of a vehicle. I mean now its a good time to introduce some niche products. A good package sells, examples abound in the market today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks