Old 22nd August 2018, 21:53   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Suzuki Jimny in 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Suzuki Jimny waiting period in Japan as on Aug 5th:

- Jimny is over a year and a half

- Jimny Sierra claims @ ~ 3 years!
Says quite a lot about how well Suzuki has planned / anticipated Jimny volumes. And if Maruti still trusts their Marketing sales projections and rules out India as a potential market, then God help them
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 22:03   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
This news brings out the purpose and priority of Suzuki in India, what I learn from this is thinking of of the Suzuki management.
All their plants are running with full capacity, the models they are currently manufacturing are yielding very high profit margins owing to high volume and low market acquisition costs.
Comparatively a Jimmy would yield a leases profit per unit. One Jimmy manufactured would mean one leases DZire/swift made. Which would eventually bring down the per car profit by a small amount ( very small if my guess is right). This company is not passionate about cars as someone said before.

Allow me the Liberty to extrapolate and say for the sake of profitability alone I would expect the safety of their product to be lower. And of lower quality I'm general.
+1. No respect for a demographics that contributes majorly to your bottom line?! Wow Maruti. I wish the cosmos knocks you off your high horse soon.
vroomsome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 07:57   #393
Senior - BHPian

I thought Maruti was doing a brand building image by introducing the S-Cross 1.6 and Baleno RS.
They should introduce the Jimny- the market for recreation vehicles is growing.

A well priced Jimny would have killed the Thar like how the Swift killed the Getz in 2006.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:57   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
Maruti’s Dreams Are Bigger Than Jimny
Maruti Suzuki is instead gazing farther into the future and (reportedly) evaluating direct sales of cars and large-scale electric vehicle deployment. That’s certainly more exciting than the micro SUV.
An aspirational brand needs an aspirational vehicle.
Completely disagree with Maruti strategy .
Old 23rd August 2018, 10:24   #395
BHPian

Not that I am not sad, but I don't understand why this sudden Maruti revolt?
Jimny was launched first in 1970 internationally. 48 Years back! And the 2018 one is the fourth generation one. They never launched it all these years. I am not talking about 5 or 10 years. This is close to 5 decades. What made you guys suddenly think that they will launch this one? Was there any indication from MSIL that they are shifting their priorities? If yes, then certainly I missed that announcement.

Agreed that the new one looks stunning and might find a little acceptance but they currently don't have enough production lines to cater to the present requirements. MSIL has never been an aspirational product in India. The 1.6 S-cross was an aberration in their view which they themselves have accepted. They are not even looking at being aspirational in India. MSIL is their cash cow. The money that they get from selling Dzire's and Swift's and Alto's are used as fund to invest in such aspirational products. We need to accept that and move on.

Is Toyota bringing their global hot sellers in India? Is Honda doing it? Ford (Barring Mustang!)? No one brings their hot cars as even CBU's.

With the upcoming partnership with Toyota, such aspirational products are going to be more rare. Toyota already takes their own sweet time to launch any global product in India. With MSIL getting their hands into electric technology of Toyota, we are going to get electric versions of Alto/Swift/Dzire etc. They will still be cheapest and will definitely sell like hot cakes. That money will be again utilized by Suzuki to fund electric versions of aspirational cars and launch everywhere else but India
RaghuVis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 10:48   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
What made you guys suddenly think that they will launch this one?
The craze has started and continue to dominate worldwide - SUV's in looks from micro/mini/crossovers and true SUV's.

Jimny in its current form is an all-rounder that would satisfy city driving( which the earlier Jimny lacked) though its true DNA is off-road.

See the response worldwide for this little SUV.

The earlier Jimmy is an exclusive 'SUV' with extreme off-road capabilities but lacked in far from being a family car, and has a cult following. The same is continuing with many more fans added now.

True it will not churn volumes but then Maruti Suzuki could have experimented this in the Indian market and should have taken the opportunity of making India a production hub of Jimny too.

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd August 2018 at 10:50.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 12:45   #397
BHPian

With this news, only one question comes to my mind: When is Maruti going to stop the Baleno RS?

With this crystal clear vision of selling only non-aspirational, fuel efficient, mass market cars in India, Baleno RS ought to go the S-Cross 1.6 way!
anshumandun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 12:53   #398
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Not that I am not sad, but I don't understand why this sudden Maruti revolt?
This is not sudden! we (offroaders) were always saddened by their approach over the years. When the new Jimny was announced we were skeptical but somehwere deep down we had hope.. what if MSIL act very unlike of themselves! So i guess we can be forgiven for being human!
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 12:58   #399
BHPian

The saddest part is that it is available in our immediate neighbourhood, albeit an older model.
Old 23rd August 2018, 23:58   #400
BHPian

40 pages, and what a result. Why don't they stop producing the Ignis and use the resources for Jimmy? If wishes were horses. I would say not launching Jimmy in India was not only a bad decision from MS, but Suzuki as a whole. One you get a backlog of 3 years, and two you prove that as a company you are damn complacent. In another decade, you are in the same path as Hindustan Motors. Sad. Very sad indeed.
sbanerjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 22:49   #401
BHPian

Suzuki believes India is no market for compact AWD vehicles. Even the Ignis which is available as an AWD everywhere else is a stupid little city hatch here.
Old 25th August 2018, 00:35   #402
BHPian

It's unfortunate that journalists of all these numerous auto websites and magazines never ask Suzuki India management why are they not selling these products in India. They know they will lose access to launch events and media drives which is their bread and butter if they ask these questions.
Old 26th August 2018, 19:31   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Will Jimny for India be re-considered?

Maruti Suzuki says will not ignore any segment.
Quote:
Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) would continue to bring in models with varied body styles as it aims to cater to 'every segment and lifestyle'

Quote:
Our intent is that we will provide car for every pocket for every lifestyle and for every aspiration and we will also keep focus on the 'premiumisation' in terms of the variants which we are giving,

The company's strategy is keep launching varied body types -- hatchbacks, sedans and SUVs

Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th August 2018 at 19:33.
Old 26th August 2018, 20:15   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti's understanding of lifestyle in india is a small family of three or four who want to go to the movies, mall, and grocery shopping in a big city over a weekend.

I am pretty sure thats what their focus groups all say.

Nothing short of a maverick at the head of this company can turn things around.

I wonder what they will race at the rallies soon in india... Considering the gypsy is out of selling contention in a year.
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 00:53   #405
Senior - BHPian

If Maruti could bring in the Gypsy as an extended version of the earlier Suzuki Jimny SJ40, i am sure the 5 door Jimny would be a good hit on the Indian roads.

1.5 Litre engine is a good enhancement over 1.3 Litre engine.

Bring it on Suzuki, your biggest market is asking for it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks