Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2016, 21:32   #31
BHPian

re: New Suzuki Jimny in 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But you are asking for the impossible. A 1998 design will not pass the Indian CMVR. The chassis design has undergone huge evolution since the 90s, like any other technology. If the Jimny has to remain on ladder frame, they will have build a new ladder frame to pass the modern regulations.
It's currently being sold in the UK and Australia. I assume both countries have more stringent regulations than ours, so the ladder frame should be up to spec. My point is that however 'up to spec' in all aspects it may be, it is still based on a 1998 design if they decide to bring the current model. According to TopGear this is the way it handles "A pogo stick is more satisfactory through a series of curves".

As volkman10 has pointed out, I don't think they will compromise the off-road abilities even if they decide to come out with a new model, and hence will have to compromise on the on-road capability for it to be a cheap, fun 4x4 runabout. I really don't see a monocoque Jimny happening.
Old 7th August 2016, 04:23   #32
BHPian

For all that has been thus far said on the subject & in view of what “the power that be” at Suzuki are telling the press, in all probability it will still be a vehicle with credible off road capabilities and that mean some kind of a low ratio transfer case & hopefully a ladder on chassis configuration. They might also throw in an ABS here and an EBD there. Who knows, the new avatar of Jimny might also offer an option of vacuum actuated lockers on rear axle (now I’m getting greedy).

A ladder on chassis configuration will never have the on road driving characteristics of a monocoque however sophisticated; drive a Jeep Wrangler and you’ll realize what I’m saying however it has its advantages (four years ago I had to drive to Northern Alberta in -32°C with some sections of bad interior roads covered with 6 to 8 inches of snow and believe me I have never felt more comfortable, monocoque be damned). But then on road behaviour was never a priority for designers of Jimny.

Look at the positives though; it will have a proper steel cabin, air conditioning, power steering, shift on the fly 4WD & coil springs front & rear. Now wasn’t that the wish list of people clamouring for upgradation of Gypsy all this while (I’ll still keep my Gypsy thank you).

People who want a monocoque can go out & buy a Brezza or Vitara (no offence to Brezza or Vitara owners) or whatever the hell is available out there. This was always supposed to cater to different audience; the ones who wanted a simple no nonsense vehicle that would primarily be driven on unpaved roads, sometimes even when no roads exist. A large majority of these folks were not necessarily into off roading but the surrounding that they were living in demanded a vehicle that could take abuse, was easy to fix and did not cost a bomb. This is the reason you will find Jimny being driven by English farmers, Australian ranchers, and college kids in Spain & South Africa. And hopefully by 2018 you’ll be able to add yourselves to that list. Fingers crossed…

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 7th August 2016 at 04:29.
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 09:01   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki will display the existing Jimny in the upcoming GIIAS- Auto fair. The unit will be the current Jimny in CBU form from Japan. Would seek customer feedback for the Indonesian market.

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-capture.jpg
Quote:
Rather than just bringing redundant model for the commercial segment, better Jimny is also provided for the general consumer. Especially those fans of off-road , but do not want a car bongsor character but compact and slim .
http://otomotif.kompas.com/read/2016...Jimny.is.Back.

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th August 2016 at 09:02.
Old 11th August 2016, 13:53   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki displays the latest Jimny at the GIIAS Auto Fair, the unit being a CBU from Japan, will be offered thus to the Indonesian market.
New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_0381.jpg

Quote:
The new Suzuki Jimny is powered by a 1.3-litre engine which is capable of knocking out a peak power output measuring 83 hp at 6000 rpm along with a peak torque showing 110 Nm at 4100 rpm. This engine is further supported with either 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission to support the efficiency.
The equally simple yet comfortable cabin of Suzuki Jimny 2016 is packed with sophisticated technology for the convenience of the occupants. So, there are Gear Shift Indicator (GSI) and Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) plotted at the dashboard with other necessary equipment.

The Next Gen of the Jimny is expected in late 2017 or 2018

http://www.carbay.ph/en/car-news/suz...-2016-21157032

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th August 2016 at 13:55.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 07:57   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Far from the Jimny being regarded as long in the tooth as it approaches its 20th anniversary in 2018, Suzuki sees it as a core model for any fleet that needs serious off-road credentials in a vehicle.

Quote:
A new three-tier four-wheel drive strategy is being launched by Suzuki, which comprises 'Auto', 'Select' and 'Pro'. The Ignis forms the Auto arm of this as its all-wheel drive system operates on demand without the driver making any effort. Vitara and S-Cross make up the Select models, while the long-serving Jimny is the Pro vehicle.
A new Jimny is planned for 2019 and it will continue with a rugged separate chassis and far greater mud-plugging skills than the rest of the Suzuki range.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th October 2016 at 08:17.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 12:43   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
A new Jimny is planned for 2019...
Let me give some ideas to Suzuki.

I expect a make-over like this. Wider, short in length and more on-road-friendly.

(Original image: KM77)
Attached Thumbnails
New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-4_2.jpg  

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-4_6.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 17th October 2016 at 12:54.
Old 19th October 2016, 09:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

I expect a make-over like this. Wider, short in length and more on-road-friendly.
If they go this way they will lose what has made Jimny unique and marketable for decades. And they will have reinvented the Ignis. It makes no sense at all that MSI would proceed thus and compete with their own new entry. Maruti has shown that it does not always operate wisely, though, S-Cross being a recent case in point.

Suzuki sources outside India say it is to be manufactured and sold in India and also sold internationally. Are there no leaks or news from credible Indians who belong to Team-BHP? Jimny, as it now is, would sell like japaties in India. I hope Maruti does NOT so badly foul up the next generation Jimny that they turn it into just another small Indian car.
Old 24th October 2016, 08:20   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Let me give some ideas to Suzuki.

Eagerly awaiting the Jimny in any form as long as the leaf-springs are replaced!
Old 24th October 2016, 09:46   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Wider, short in length and more on-road-friendly.
Small correction: short in height, not length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Jimny, as it now is, would sell like japaties in India.
Not exactly, I guess. That 3-door setup won't sell too much in India, though it will sell more than the current Gypsy for sure. It will still be a niche model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
Eagerly awaiting the Jimny in any form as long as the leaf-springs are replaced!
Those leaf springs make it the best for off-roading.

Is there anything like a combination of coil-spring and leaf-springs? Coil-springs for normal city driving, and if it is subjected to hardcore off-roading,those leafs should come into play.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 26th October 2016 at 09:20. Reason: Please report post to merge instead of leaving a note in the post text. Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 10:43   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Those leaf springs make it the best for off-roading.

Is there anything like a combination of coil-spring and leaf-springs? Coil-springs for normal city driving, and if it is subjected to hardcore off-roading,those leafs should come into play.
Yes, that's right.

I also loved the Gypsy for its stance (not too high) in addition to its ability to tackle pot-holes, on regular roads, which were the norm of the day about 15-20 years ago

The leaf springs, however, took a toll on my back/neck. I even looked for an after-market seat assembly with built in shock-absorber, which I had seen in some imported SUVs - but was unsuccessful.
Old 24th October 2016, 20:32   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
I understand the current Jimny ( that never made it to India) has coils.

The previous generation had leafs.
Old 7th November 2016, 10:59   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki could fast track the Jimny. Jimny is still having a strong demand in Europe.

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-estrategiasuzukiargentina1.jpg

Quote:
There are several markets in the region who are interested in the Brazilian market Jimny and this could accelerate the decision.

We believe that both the Grand Vitara Jimny and would have a more limited demand with respect to the New Vitara. But the tradition of Suzuki in the area of 4 × 4 vehicles leads us to think that we should not neglect a market that cherishes these all classical soil with gearbox and large off-road capability
Quote:
And for the smallest segment of SUVs, Indumotora admitted that studies seriously bring to Argentina the Jimny produced in Brazil. It is a classic soil with chassis beams, just 3.6 meters long and just a ton of weigh
Source

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th November 2016 at 11:00.
Old 6th December 2016, 14:49   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki to focus on SUV's for India.

The global Vitara is likely to debut as Grand Vitara for India and the Jimny too is likely to launch in 2018.
Quote:
Coming to the Jimny, the same will be a proper hard core off-roader, just like Gypsy is. Sporting a rather boxy yet dominating design, the same is to get a 1.0-litre Boosterjet engine capable of producing 110Bhp along with 175Nm of peak torque. The same might get a 1.4-litre Boosterjet engine at a later stage. Gearbox duties are to be carried by a 5-speed manual gearbox while there could be an automatic gearbox on offer as well.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 17:43   #44
Team-BHP Support

I have lost count of the times I have heard that Jimny is coming to India. Most of the times, people just make up the news. Unless an official spokesperson says it so, it won't be true.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 23:04   #45
BHPian

This vehicle looks completely outdated - is it only me who is feeling like this?
Hard to believe that this will be the current gen vehicle from an international brand like Suzuki

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks