Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2016, 11:34   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry. EDIT: Revealed at Detroit Auto Show

Under development at Toyota's R&D facility in Michigan, USA, the all-new 2017 Toyota Camry has been caught on camera on a testing run for the very first time.

Under heavy camouflage, the next-gen Camry sits low, and seems inspired from the current-gen model's frontal looks, while the cabin size seems to be a wee bit longer and the boot section seems shorter than the current model on sale worldwide.

Expected to share the same TNGA platform as the Prius, the 2017 Camry might be powered by an all-new 2.0L 4-cylinder turbocharged unit (link), with a naturally-aspirated engine option and a hybrid powertrain joining the ranks later on.

The all-new Camry will go on sale sometime in 2018.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 7th July 2016 at 11:38.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 12:39   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Spied: Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry

Did NASCAR just leak the next-generation Toyota Camry front end?

Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry. EDIT: Revealed at Detroit Auto Show-ca.jpg

Quote:
The vehicle designs for NASCAR competition are usually a slight exaggeration in comparison to what’s on the road. We can still use the racer’s styling as a guide of what to expect, though. The design features aggressively arched, narrow headlights with L-shaped LEDs in them. The large lower grille is similar to the current shape, but the harder edges here evoke Lexus’ spindle appearance, too. Large, diagonal intakes flank it on each side.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 14:10   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Letter to the Managing Director Toyota, India

Dear Sir,

Here are a few suggestions for your forth coming Camry Hybrid from a well-wisher and current customer. I (through my business) have owned and moved around in an earlier generation Camry (the first you introduced in India around 2006) for almost a decade and have only praise for the reliability of the car and quality of your service. Now onwards to the business at hand. To help the sales of this Camry 2017 in India please keep the following in mind:-

(1) The looks, the external aesthetics, the appeal to the eye - I believe somewhere in recent years Toyota has lost its way where looks are concerned and your cars do not compare favourably with other makes. I could be a customer for your Lexus range but the looks are rather frightening. So the old Camry soldiers on.

(2) Quality of interiors - if a customer in India is paying north of Rs 30 lakhs he wants top notch interiors. In December 2014 I did test drive your current Camry Hybrid. The hybrid aspect appealed to my head and heart. Your workshop was well organized. The sales chap was well trained. But the finish of the interiors and the quality of the materials lost the match in favour of the Volvo XC60.

As you see both my suggestions are to do with form and not content. Your content is already jolly good. My next car purchase will be a hybrid no matter what. I look forward to the arrival of your new model to Indian shores.

Kind regards,
Narayan

Last edited by V.Narayan : 10th September 2016 at 14:27.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 15:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Caught on camera by a Carscoops reader, who claimed that the Camry test mules were accompanied by a Lexus LC500 in front and a Toyota Prius in the rear.

Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry. EDIT: Revealed at Detroit Auto Show-2018toyotacamry28.jpg

Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry. EDIT: Revealed at Detroit Auto Show-2018toyotacamry4.jpg

Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry. EDIT: Revealed at Detroit Auto Show-2018toyotacamry3.jpg

Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry. EDIT: Revealed at Detroit Auto Show-2018toyotacamry5.jpg

Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry. EDIT: Revealed at Detroit Auto Show-2018toyotacamry6.jpg

Quote:
Toyota plans to move the Camry to their new and lighter TNGA modular global platform, which we first saw on the latest Prius, that promises better handling.

Like many other new mid-size sedans these days, Toyota is believed to offer the 2018 Camry exclusively with four-cylinder engines in the name of fuel economy, with an updated 2.5-liter unit sitting at the base and the Lexus' 2.0-liter turbocharged mill likely placed at the top as a replacement to today’s 268hp 3.5-liter V6. A frugal gasoline-electric hybrid will round out the powertrain line-up.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 10:51   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The 2018 Toyota Camry is expected to get a radical new look —Is this how it will look?

Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry. EDIT: Revealed at Detroit Auto Show-2018toyotacamryrendering.jpg

Link
Old 5th November 2016, 08:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The 2018 Toyota Camry is expected to get a radical new look —Is this how it will look?
Well! It could very well be. This looks very similar to the NASCAR leaked photo in that post #2 by you.

And also has some details from the latest design theme that Toyota and Lexus is using currently - from the 'Predator school of auto designs'.
Old 2nd December 2016, 08:39   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

2018 Toyota Camry – all-new model to debut in Jan 2017.

First official image of the 2018 Toyota Camry, teased ahead of its planned debut at the Detroit Auto Show in January next year- This will be for the US market.
Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry. EDIT: Revealed at Detroit Auto Show-2018toyotacamryteaser850x543.jpg

Quote:
The 2018 Toyota Camry is expected to be built on the company’s new modular TNGA platform, and it should feature the 2.0 litre turbocharged engine already in use in the Toyota Crown and various Lexus models, at least to replace the large 3.5 litre V6 engine sold in America, along with smaller 2.5 litre and hybrid versions.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd December 2016 at 08:41.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

Yuck! Toyota's fascination for those drooping lamps needs to stop!
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 19:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Obviously cannot make any comments on the looks, just based on the teaser image. But I just feel there are too many lines going in all directions in this image, the line from the top of the boot goes and intersects the C pillar. I don't know how well that would look in an executive sedan - especially when you have a superb looking Superb and the upcoming (promising looking) Passat CC's replacement among your competitors.
Old 5th December 2016, 22:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Yuck! Toyota's fascination for those drooping lamps needs to stop!
Agree. Toyota is researching on how to screw-up the front fascia. They have successfully ruined the 4Runner, Camry gets the next turn.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry. EDIT: Revealed at Detroit Auto Show-comb.jpeg  

Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 07:25   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

The eighth generation of America's most popular sedan Toyota Camry, has just been unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show.
Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry. EDIT: Revealed at Detroit Auto Show-camry55556.jpg
As expected, the 2018 model rides on the same Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) as the Prius. Two inches have been added to the wheelbase, elongating it to 191.3 inches (4,859mm).

Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry. EDIT: Revealed at Detroit Auto Show-2018toyotacamryunveiledindetroitlookssporty114473_1.jpg
Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry. EDIT: Revealed at Detroit Auto Show-2018toyotacamryunveiledindetroitlookssporty_1.jpg
Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry. EDIT: Revealed at Detroit Auto Show-2018toyotacamryunveiledindetroitlookssporty_10.jpg
Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry. EDIT: Revealed at Detroit Auto Show-2018toyotacamryunveiledindetroitlookssporty_14.jpg
Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry. EDIT: Revealed at Detroit Auto Show-2018toyotacamryunveiledindetroitlookssporty_16.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th January 2017 at 07:37.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 09:26   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
This looks like a street-side modification done to an executive/family sedan. The current Camry has a very good stance and looks executive. The new ones looks as if forcefully lowered. The front bumper looks like a custom job gone wrong. The rear bumper is another custom job which is executed slightly better than the front. Alloys are befitting a boy-racer's car but look out of a place in an executive sedan.

All in all, it looks as if father handed over his old Camry to his college going son whose dream car has been NFS cars/Fast and Furious movie cars. He customized it with the limited pocket money he had, "trying" to transform his Camry to a hot Toyota Supra/Skyline GTR, etc.
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 09:45   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Some may support the spindle grille of Lexus which is now slowly spinning its way into Toyota models, but I would be surprised if more than 1 out of 10 potential buyers truly "love" the look.

What on earth has happened to the Toyota designs? I agree that the Corolla 9th gen was a bit too executive, formal and plain, but that was its very purpose. The Altis and the XV40 Camry were the best versions of the brand-names respectively, both were still conservative, yet modern.. had curves and yet had straight lines and were considered to be the benchmark for a please-all-offend-none executive cruisers. Not anymore.

The current Toyota designs can be best described as boy-racer-meets-business suits, a horrible mismatch. Toyota needs a new designer and pronto. Like all designs this one may find its share of fans who want to stand out, but personally I hate such designs specially when they cost something to the tune of 4 million rupees. I love Japanese products for their consumer durables and sheer quality, but in the car department they aren't pleasing anymore.
Old 10th January 2017, 22:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think they did a good job with the interior but that exterior is just so wrong for a family/executive sedan ! The silhouette is actually pretty good but its that lexus like front that looks so aftermarket.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry. EDIT: Revealed at Detroit Auto Show-crcarsinline2018toyotacamryint0117.jpg  

Old 10th January 2017, 22:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I think they did a good job with the interior but that exterior is just so wrong for a family/executive sedan ! The silhouette is actually pretty good but its that lexus like front that looks so aftermarket.
The gear shift and console is similar to Honda Civic.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen 2017 Toyota Camry. EDIT: Revealed at Detroit Auto Show-392016hondacivicfd1.jpg  

Parm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed