Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2016, 14:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi unveils XM Concept, will rival Honda BR-V

Mitsubishi has released images of the XM Concept, which is expected to make its global debut at the 2016 Gaikindo Indonesia International Auto Show (GIIAS) next week. The XM concept previews the company's upcoming crossover MPV, which is expected to be introduced in October 2017, and will rival the Honda BR-V.

The XM Concept carries forward Mitsubishi's new design philosophy, which was first seen on the eX concept. As a result, the front gets the 'Dynamic Shield' face, with the grille joining the headlamp clusters to form an X shape. This makes it look similar to the eX concept. Design elements visible in the image include flared wheel arches, a floating roof, and prominent silver roof rails. The rear end hasn't been revealed yet.

Interior images too have been kept under wraps, but the company has confirmed that the XM will get a 7-seater arrangement. The interior will be detailed in a black and white dual-tone theme along with silver accents.

The name XM has been christened to depict that the production model would combine characteristics of a Crossover (X) and an MPV (M).

Source: Paultan

Mitsubishi unveils XM Concept, will rival Honda BR-V-mitsubishi_concept_xm_1e1470362323296850x568.jpeg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 5th August 2016 at 14:58.
dZired is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 12:32   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mitsubishi unveils XM Concept, will rival Honda BR-V

I don't have much hope. Look lower down on the same page and you'll see the problem:
Mitsubishi unveils XM Concept, will rival Honda BR-V-capture.jpg

Mitsubishi hasn't spent any money on R&D in the last decade and most of their products are old / outdated / uninspiring. In most segments, there's not a single reason to buy a Mitsubishi over the competitors (other than heavy discounting, of course).

Nissan recently bought more stake in Mitsubishi and has become its largest shareholder. Mitsubishi can hope for Nissan's help in product development (rather, sharing), but the latter certainly won't do it at the cost of losing sales for its own cars.

The game has moved on Mitsubishi. You've been left behind.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 13:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

Mitsubishi probably lost focus because its a conglomerate. Trends in automotive business change quickly. If you are a part of a conglomerate, the automotive group needs to compete internally with other businesses for both funds and talent (people).

Sure, Hyundai is a conglomerate too, but automotive group is dominant there. Not the case with Mitusbishi.
SmartCat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 19:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

What the heck is in place of ORVM on the XM? Is it a CCTV camera, with a display inside the car?
Old 19th July 2017, 11:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi has confirmed that the XM Concept is going into production as the Mitsubishi Expander. It will make is debut at Gaikindo Indonesia International Auto Show on August 20, 2017.

The 7-seater MPV will be powered by a 1.5L petrol engine with front-wheel drive. There's no word yet about a diesel or an all-wheel drive version. It will initially go on sale in Indonesia and will rival the likes of the Suzuki Ertiga, Honda BR-V, Toyota Avanza, etc.

Link to Team-BHP News
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi unveils XM Concept, will rival Honda BR-V-expander1.jpg  

Mitsubishi unveils XM Concept, will rival Honda BR-V-expander3.jpg  

TusharK is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 10:24   #6
BHPian

Following the Eclipse Cross, Mitsubishi plans to launch the Xpander MPV in India by 2020. It'll rival the likes of the Renault Lodgy, and the upcoming Maruti-Suzuki Ertiga and Mahindra Marazzo. Internationally, it comes only with a 1.5 litre MIVEC petrol engine, mated to a 5-speed manual and 4-speed torque converter transmissions, it could be launched with a BS-VI diesel engine in India. I personally find the interiors too drab for this day and age, but in line with Mitsubishi's current line of products.

Mitsubishi unveils XM Concept, will rival Honda BR-V-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20180821082930_xpanderfront.jpg

Mitsubishi unveils XM Concept, will rival Honda BR-V-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20180821082930_xpanderrear.jpg

Mitsubishi unveils XM Concept, will rival Honda BR-V-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20180821082935_xpanderdashboard.jpg

Mitsubishi unveils XM Concept, will rival Honda BR-V-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20180821082935_xpanderseating.jpg

(Source: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-launch-409414)
Old 5th January 2020, 13:13   #7
BANNED

Caught testing in India, I am not sure if it's actually getting tested or is just a click bait with some owner car being spotted on the road (Why I doubt? Because plates are hidden and there are no stickers at all), BTW I am surprised to find such a large number of common elements between the rear and side design of Xpander and Ertiga:

Courtesy: Gaadiwaadi
https://gaadiwaadi.com/mitsubishi-xp...ting-in-india/

Mitsubishi unveils XM Concept, will rival Honda BR-V-xpander-3.jpg

Mitsubishi unveils XM Concept, will rival Honda BR-V-xpander1.jpg

Mitsubishi unveils XM Concept, will rival Honda BR-V-xpander2.jpg
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 17:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Caught testing in India, I am not sure if it's actually getting tested or is just a click bait with some owner car being spotted on the road (Why I doubt? Because plates are hidden and there are no stickers at all), BTW I am surprised to find such a large number of common elements between the rear and side design of Xpander and Ertiga:
I would've been super excited if the car spotted was a sedan from Mitsubishi. Nevertheless, it is heartening to see that Mitsubishi logo again on Indian roads, I do hope they are testing it for an India launch. And, I agree with you, lot of elements that resemble the Ertiga. I'm not sure if there's any sort of partnership between Suzuki and Mitsubishi in India or Global? Need to Google.
But the big fat question is, who will buy it with Mitsubishi India almost extinct?

Last edited by Porschefire : 6th January 2020 at 17:32.
Porschefire is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed