Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2016, 20:23   #1
RSR
Senior - BHPian

The Hyundai i30 Hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
Since the new Elantra has come out internationally, and this is related to the previous Elantra (which was again displayed at the auto expo 2016), is this not already outdated?

If so, should Hyundai not launch the new one instead by waiting a bit
Spot on!

I'm quite sure Hyundai are not going to bring the current i30 (the one in post #137 of this thread, also showcased at the Auto Expo) to India! The current i30 was most likely showcased to gauge customer interest and market potential, as it's going to be in a new segment altogether (Chevrolet's Optra SRV was the pioneer of this segment, but that was quite a while ago).

It's going to be the next generation i30 that would most probably come to India, after its European launch. It sports the more mature & toned-down "Fluidic Sculpture 2.0" styling, as seen on the new i20 (IB) and the latest generation Elantra (AD)*, instead of the flowing lines & creases as seen on the current i30 (GD) and Elantra (MD). This is what the new car looks like under camouflage:

The Hyundai i30 Hatchback-images-2.jpg

(Source & more pictures)

The next-gen i30 has also been captured on video while it was being tested in the Alps, with a trailer in tow (together with a Volkswagen Golf, rather unsurprisingly):

There is a reasonable market for these large European family hatches in India, as long as they're specced well and priced sensibly (9.5 lacs ~ 15 lacs, ex-showroom). I'd say to Hyundai - bring on the next-generation i30 soon after its European debut!

* - Next generation Elantra (AD) has already been spotted in India (link)

Last edited by RSR : 23rd February 2016 at 20:40.
RSR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 20:26   #2
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i30 - Hyundai's next model for India?

Here are the first spy pictures of the new i30's interior:

The Hyundai i30 Hatchback-hyundaii30spy577.jpg

The Hyundai i30 Hatchback-hyundaii30spy578.jpg

Looks goooood! Also, note the paddle-shifters behind the wheel for the dual-clutch automatic.

I say - bring it to India, Hyundai, and grab the first mover advantage. The market has matured enough for a typical Euro family hatchback (Chevrolet's Optra SRV debacle is a thing of the past).

Another picture of the exterior:

The Hyundai i30 Hatchback-hyundaii30spy571.jpg

Source & more: Motoring

Last edited by RSR : 1st August 2016 at 20:32.
RSR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 21:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai plugging all possible gaps in their lineup and creating new ones too! If they could bring in the i30 with all bells and whistles, say 6 airbags, sunroof, automatic with paddle shifts apart from their usual gizmos, they have a chance to do something that's unheard of-- sell a hatch back for 10-12 Lakhs in India! The market has matured for sure and the decent showing of cars like Polo TSi is a good benchmark. However, in this age where even C segment sedans are losing market share to Cross overs like Brezza and ecosport, it's not going to bring in any serious volumes. But anything in the range of even 2-3k cars every month could be a great success story.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 22:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Contrary to the general consensus in this thread, I don't think Indian market will welcome cars like VW Golf or the I30. Like it or not, the Indian market is very much concerned about looks and image and that's where a Honda City (sedan) or the Creta (compact SUV) will be always a preferred choice over cars like these, at least in the foreseeable future.
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 23:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Contrary to the general consensus in this thread, I don't think Indian market will welcome cars like VW Golf or the I30. Like it or not, the Indian market is very much concerned about looks and image and that's where a Honda City (sedan) or the Creta (compact SUV) will be always a preferred choice over cars like these, at least in the foreseeable future.
Same was said about compact sedans once. Now we know options like Elite i20 and Maruti Baleno are running away with the market share.

As the market matures, there will be takers for these large hatchbacks. i30 would be a more premium product compared to Verna, just like Elite i20 is to Xcent.

Similarly, there would be takers for the Civic hatch as well if it can go in a price range just above City.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st August 2016 at 23:16.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 23:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
As the market matures, there will be takers for these large hatchbacks. i30 would be a more premium product compared to Verna, just like Elite i20 is to Xcent.
All very true, but I still have my doubts on the success of the premium-hatchbacks and more importantly their pricing vis-à-vis the positioning.

Hatchbacks like i20 and Polo Tsi have one thing going for them, premium feel whilst being under 4m in length yet having space/power comparable to bigger cars. In my view India is a small nation.. the roads being even smaller and narrower. While I've driven briefly, a few big cars around town like Skoda, BMW & a few sedans like Vento, Verna etc, nothing felt as much fun or easy like a sub-4m hatchback, to me it always felt like home because tackling traffic, monitoring edges of the car, U-turns, narrow turns, parking etc felt a LOT easier in small cars. Even Elite-i20 was a struggle to drive/park during the test-drive and I for a few reasons hated it, the narrow window-line, massive external width (without internal space) and literally absent rear view made this a pure nightmare to drive and I didn't have such a problem even with a Bimmer 320i though the front end was very long in it.

The i30 if I'm not wrong, will be a couple of inches wider than the Elite i20 (an already wide car), and close to a foot longer. It'll also be a very expensive proposition when it finally lands up here in 2018 or so, since it cannot claim tax reduction neither for being under 4m in length nor for having an engine under 1.2L. For that time it'll have an on-road price of nothing less than 18-20L and an expensive ownership experience as well.

All said and done it'll be a fantastic car - solid, safe and a ton of fun to drive but it'll only find limited buyers, about a 1000 a month if lucky and nothing more. Sub-4m hatchbacks are true made-for-India cars and they'll continue to dominate for decades to come.

Last edited by dark.knight : 1st August 2016 at 23:46.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 17:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Same was said about compact sedans once. Now we know options like Elite i20 and Maruti Baleno are running away with the market share.

Similarly, there would be takers for the Civic hatch as well if it can go in a price range just above City.
I see your point and I have myself seen that transformation happening but it took time. May be some time in the future Indian people will warm up to cars like the I30 or the Golf but I just don't see that happening in the near future. Also, as a potential car buyer in the 15 lakh category in the next couple of years, I just don't see enough value/merit in these cars. The hot segment is the compact SUV segment (Creta) and I don't see many people buying a big hatchback over a compact SUV if priced similarly.

I would be loved to be proven wrong though. We will know only when and if the I30 launches.

Last edited by adimicra : 2nd August 2016 at 17:10.
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 18:50   #8
RSR
Senior - BHPian

A teaser of the new i30 by Peter Schreyer, prior to its unveiling at the Paris Motor Show:

RSR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 19:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

New Hyundai i30 teased ahead of global premier

Hyundai has released a set of teaser images of the new i30 premium hatchback. The car's world premiere is scheduled to be held on September 7. The Korean automaker will subsequently be showcasing the new i30 at this year's Paris Motor Show, which is scheduled from October 1 to October 16, 2016.

Though the released images don’t reveal much about the hatchback, certain design elements can be seen. The front fascia gets a hexagonal grille with a thick chrome border and a pair of sweptback headlamps. The LED DRLs are vertically stacked and placed on the front bumper. The rear gets an angular look, and appears to be an evolution of the i20's design.

Hyundai will be offering the new i30 with a range of turbocharged petrol and diesel options. It might get a plug-in hybrid variant as well.

The Hyundai i30 is not likely to make it to the Indian market, at least in the near future.

The Hyundai i30 Hatchback-2017hyundaii30teaser1.jpg

The Hyundai i30 Hatchback-2017hyundaii30teaser2.jpg

The Hyundai i30 Hatchback-2017hyundaii30teaser3.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 11th August 2016 at 19:06.
dZired is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 19:23   #10
BHPian

re: The Hyundai i30 Hatchback

From the teaser images, it looks premium and very much european, especially the rear.

Looks like Hyundai changes the grill design with every refresh ! Last gen i30 looked really nice with Audi(ish) grill, I think they have got inspiration from the Datsun for the new generation.
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 20:27   #11
BHPian

re: The Hyundai i30 Hatchback

I think the Design head of Hyundai is the ex design head of VW Group, so the European looks are not just a coincidence.
In my opinion, Hyundai produces some of the best looking cars in their respective segment than their Japaneses Counterparts - Sonata Vs Camry & Accord, Elentra Vs Corolla, Santa Fe Vs Highlander etc.

At least in USA, Hyundai was able to grow in a rapid pace than any other car company, they were able to change the perception of the brand itself. A decade ago it was almost impossible to see a white man in 50's or 60's driving a Hyundai , but things have changed now and the Cadillac's and Lincolns have been replaced by Azera and Genesis at least in 20% of the cases.
Superleggera is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 13:44   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Hyundai i30 Hatchback

It'll be a brave move on Hyundai India's part if they bring the i30 here, but I think it's worth the risk. What have they got to lose? It's a segment where there is no competition - Hyundai could have it all to itself.

The Elite i20 tops out at 8.82 lakhs (ex-Delhi). Skillful marketing can surely carve out a space above that for a bigger, premium hatchback. And not to forget, we already have one (ugly) hatchback that sells at a price of up to 12 lakhs (the S-Cross).

The Creta's stupendous success reaffirms that people are willing to pay a premium for an all-rounded product.

A well-packaged i30 will also contribute to building Hyundai's image, just like the Elite i20 has. I feel there is a decent size of the market that'll pick an uber hatch over a C2 segment sedan (just like so many pick a nice hatch over a C1 segment sedan). That said, it's going to have to offer a compelling package in terms of quality, space & power.

As things stand today, if anyone can do it, it's Hyundai. VW, Ford and gang have premium hatchbacks in their global portfolio, but none of them have Hyundai India's marketing talent & sales muscle.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 14:47   #13
BANNED

As GTO mentioned above, the time is ripe for a real premium hatchback. If the i30 looks as good as in the teasers, then it can make few thousands to part with their money. There are many who are forced to buy sedans, just because they can't find the existing hatches exciting enough. I was forced to buy a sub 4 meter sedan, just because there were no compelling hatchbacks that met my needs. A spacious hatchback with premium interiors can catch the imagination of people who look to upgrade from, Polo, Elite i20 and the Figo's. Right now most have to buy from the same segment repeatedly.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 15:30   #14
BHPian

I have sat in a current gen i30 for a short drive, here in London. On its own, the new i30 seems like an excellent proposition to launch in India. However, with the current fixation with compact SUVs, it will be an uphill task convincing people to buy a hatchback over an Ecosport/ Creta/S Cross/ Duster, etc., not to mention the possible comparison with similarly priced sedans
aamateen46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 03:18   #15
BHPian

Agree with your comments.
Still wondering why Hyundai is not planning to bring an Innova beater !

Most Viewed