Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2016, 11:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Tesla Model S gets new battery, 0-100 now takes 2.5 seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc_lover666 View Post
I need a Tesla in my life!

Why are we in India not able to get any daily commuters with a battery as the only and independent fuel source. Leave the high speed and acceleration aside but if we can have a maruti 800 type car that is practical to run and maintain and is also reasonably priced then it can definitely be a success.
Maini launched reva back in 2001 I think. Though I do not know the specifics of how much the government really supported the company in terms of tax breaks, there is really no incentive outside Delhi to own an electric car in India currently.

When the E20 was launched with a 10 square meter solar panels to charge the electric car, none of the state governments gave any tax breaks to incentivise the consumer to buy. The math of breaking even on additional investment for the car simply failed because of this.

We are as a country ways away from bringing an electric car with the capability of the Tesla as it is not commercially viable.

Additionally we are a one car nation. I want my car to travel to office, to the next town, to go off roading. you get the idea. The second car is still an emerging idea in India and parking 2 cars is a huge challenge in any urban scenario.
Old 28th August 2016, 13:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc_lover666 View Post
I need a Tesla in my life!

On a more serious note. Why is only Tesla being able to make such ground breaking and earth shattering electric cars. Why are we in India not able to get any daily commuters with a battery as the only and independent fuel source. Leave the high speed and acceleration aside but if we can have a maruti 800 type car that is practical to run and maintain and is also reasonably priced then it can definitely be a success. Mr. Modi needs to take this up as a challenge with Maruti and give them all the subsidies they need to make this technology viable and cost effective to apply it in a mass market product like a Maruti.....
We can make it. It is easy. Go and google for cordless drill powered buggy. That costs 20,000 INR to make. That might be a crappy suggestion but a proof of concept. And there are tons of videos on youtube on how to make an electric buggy. The idea is simple and doable. In fact, even I had the plan of doing something like that. The big car companies will not go there because they would be too off of their products and values (they have too much confidence in their trump card "range" and "time to fill"). Only a startup could do that.

But there is a problem. The problem is that, it becomes cheap when it is mass market manufactured for a very big quantity. For example, your chinese 7 inch tab is dead cheap whereas the same specs 8 inch tab is expensive. It all boils down to economics of manufacturing. If we even establish a company that could make an electric car, who is our audience. People buying their first car will not buy it because they need a reliable maruti which serves all purpose. People who use the car for commuting within the city use their 10 lakh rupee car. For them, after enjoying the luxury of sophesticated modern comfortable car, it is hard to go down the ladder to a spartan car. And reliability and image of the car is also a question. If you make an expensive car at par with the rivals, no one will buy your car because they could get a branded car for the same cost. If you target your audience to be the ones who have a 20 lakh rupee car and a second car to do city run abouts, bingo. But what is the number of people who do so. I assume it is quite low. And even among them, how many of them would venture into unknown territory. Into a start up in which they have no confidence, where you do not know if the car has crash protection or not, where you wont find parts so easily? All these questions will roam around in their head. You did not have a good response for Maini Reva which started the cheap electric car in India, then how could you expect a response for this project. So expect the starting sales number to 10 per month per dealership. If you have a production of 50 per month, each piece of machinery required to build the product costs in crores of rupees. How can you afford all the machines and equipment to fabricate most of the custom parts? If you look up to vendors in supply chain, your manufacturing costs will not go down because your order quantity is quite low and their margins will be high for low order quantity. And imagine the hiring of workers for a factory that builds electric cars. If you hire skilled labour, their charge will be more and productivity will be less. You will have to do with workers like daily wage employees for the first few months. This means shoddy work and head ache. Even if you get through through that, there is the cost of feeding the mafia, politicians etc. Suddenly the calculated 2 lakh rupee car becomes 4 lakh rupees. But that's a Reva. So, why bother making a car company at all.

Not boasting but even I have made a plan for a cheap electric hybrid two seater sports car which costs around 2 lakhs. The costs involved in setting up a company, getting a steady supply chain, establishing a factory is all but impossible. I just cannot get enough money to make a startup. Ofcourse, I was a kid who just finished engineering then (1 year back) and now I am putting all my money into savings for the future. I could make a prototype now with borrowed parts and look in for an angel investor but I am currently looking for a job that pays me more so that I have cash to spare for pet projects like these. For a one-off prototype, I guess the costs will be upto 4 lakhs to build a car that moves and worthy of presenting it to people. But I am currently busy building a tractor for the price of a bike, suitable ONLY for small farmers with lands upto 5 acres. I think that idea has more potential. It is an extension to my previous project which I put my link below. I have more faith in that than in electric car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ecame-atv.html
aveemashfaq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 00:00   #18
RSR
Senior - BHPian

A Tesla Model S P100D takes on a Lamborghini Huracan at the dragstrip. The Lambo sounds glorious, but the Tesla shows the fossil fuel drinking smoke emitter who's the boss over the quarter mile:

Last edited by RSR : 26th September 2016 at 00:02.
Old 22nd January 2017, 09:36   #19
BHPian

Tesla just released Model S 100D with 335 miles (539 km) of range over full charge . Its a non-performance version of P100D. The new 100D costs around $35000 less than P100D.
With this, Model S 100D is currently the longest range production EV.

Model S:
100D - 335 miles range (0-60mph in 4.2 sec) starts at $135,000
P100D - 315 miles range (0-60mph in 2.4 sec) starts at $95000

Tesla also released Model X 100D which gives 295 miles range compared to P100D with 289 miles. Model X 100D also costs $30000 less than P100D.

On the other hand with the recent software update, Model S P100D does 0-60mph in just 2.39 seconds and it weighs over 2 tons (2,107 kgs)
sri_tesla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2017, 11:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Tesla just released Model S 100D with 335 miles (539 km) of range over full charge . Its a non-performance version of P100D. The new 100D costs around $35000 less than P100D.
With this, Model S 100D is currently the longest range production EV.

Model S:
100D - 335 miles range (0-60mph in 4.2 sec) starts at $135,000
P100D - 315 miles range (0-60mph in 2.4 sec) starts at $95000

Tesla also released Model X 100D which gives 295 miles range compared to P100D with 289 miles. Model X 100D also costs $30000 less than P100D.

On the other hand with the recent software update, Model S P100D does 0-60mph in just 2.39 seconds and it weighs over 2 tons (2,107 kgs)

I think you mixed up the pricing. Shouldn't the 100D be the cheaper version?
kkkkkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2017, 13:00   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
I think you mixed up the pricing. Shouldn't the 100D be the cheaper version?
Oops . That was a mistake and I cannot edit it now
Old 8th February 2017, 09:05   #22
BHPian

Motortrend Tests Tesla Model S P100D and sets an acceleration record

Motortrend has always advocated that Tesla underquotes their acceleration numbers.

When the Ludicrous mode was originally launched in the P90D, Tesla claimed an 0-60 mph acceleration figure of 2.8 seconds. Motortrend testing were able to achieve the benchmark figure at 2.6 seconds.

With Faraday future nipping at its heels with a figure of 2.39 seconds, Elon Musk speculated he could meet the figure of 2.39 and even best it at 2.34 seconds with an Easter Egg update. Motortrend even offered to validate this with track testing.

With the update up and running, Motortrend test runs were able to achieve a 0-60 Acceleration in 2.275507139 seconds besting any production car. Interesting read from Motortrend as hey explain a Jerk factor which is rate of change of acceleration and provide comparisons with the the latest hypercars.

Motortrend Tests Tesla Model S P100D with Easter Egg

Elon musk for sure does not shoot out of his mouth. It seems he also has some good friends backing him up in publication business.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks