Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2006, 12:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pininfarina Jaguar XJ220

I never ever knew this existed.!!

The Sultan of Brunei is our kind of monarch, having spent considerable sums of money from his country's vast oil revenues on his extensive car collection. Stories are told of special cars made just for him by the likes of Ferrari and Mercedes-AMG. The extent of his personal garage has remained a secret for years, but as details have been emerging recently we bring you this shining example: a special Jaguar XJ220, customized for his royal highness by Pininfarina.

During the XJ220's heyday in the mid-90's, it was one of the fastest cars on the road: the XJ220 hit 60 in 3.8 seconds on its way to a top speed of over 212 mph, motivated by a 550-hp twin-turbo V6. At nearly five meters long, though, the XJ220 was an absolute boat of a supercar, so Pininfarina crafted a shorter body for the sultan's car, which also helped it shed a few pounds off its 3025-lb curb weight. Pininfarina also replaced the pop-up headlamps with fixed units, and affixed a double-vane rear wing. Curiously, while the wheels are usually the first to go when customizing a car, the sultan's specials usually retain their rolling stock, making it easier for drooling car nuts like us to identify their roots. You can bet it underwent extensive wind-tunnel testing and development, much like the famous Italian design house did for its latest custom supercar, the Ferrari P4/5.

We don't know much else about the XJ220, but you can bet he paid a few million, and probably ordered at least two. Other custom rides in the royal motor-pool include the Ferrari FX based on the F512M, the Venice Estate station wagon based on the Ferrari 456GT, the Ferrari Testarossa F90 Speciale, several custom Aston Martins, the Bentley Dominator SUV, and road-going copies of the Pininfarina Mythos and Bentley Java concept cars, not to mention a host of "ordinary" supercars including eight McLaren F1s, six Dauer 962 LMs, a unique right-hand-drive Mercedes CLK-GTR, and dozens of Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Porsches. With a garage like this, who needs a flying carpet?

Source: Autoblog.com & Supercars.net

Last edited by Stratos : 9th October 2006 at 12:13.
Old 9th October 2006, 12:49   #2
BANNED

Looks uglier than the original. Any performance numbers?
Old 9th October 2006, 17:08   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
My thoughts exactly !!

The original XJ looks waaaay better than this...

And I also want to know how it performs. Whether the performance has takena hit or not... and how it handles.

While I like the Sultan of Brunei for putting his money to good use (unlike some millionairs/billionaires ), it is silly to waste money on modifying already good cars
Old 9th October 2006, 23:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Isdera Commendatore meets Vector W8 meets Venturi Gt meets the XJ220. I think it looks average. The stock XJ220 is a magnificent looking car, which I have had the pleasure to see in person.
Old 10th October 2006, 07:07   #5
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!

Pininfarina have ruined a good-looking car... tried too hard to make it look like a Ferrari.
Old 10th October 2006, 08:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Uglier ? Sombody has to own this custom made to comment such a word.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks