Team-BHP - How come we missed the Cayman?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   How come we missed the Cayman? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/17978-how-come-we-missed-cayman.html)

Yup, we have discussed it previously but really didnt pay too much attention to it as most of us thought its "only" a Boxster with a roof. And the boxster wasnt exactly popular with too many of us.

Well, guess what. The Cayman S has proved itself as an extremely competitive piece of machinery and is being discussed hard-core in forums all over the world. It has gained respect. Reviewers are lauding an affordable drivers car by Porsche.

Some comments on the Porsche Cayman:

Quote:

The reason we do not offer LSD (Limited Slip Differential) on the Cayman is that if we did....the Cayman would be quicker cross-country than the Porsche 911, a car more expensive to the tune of £15,000.
Quote:

"Will Porsche kill the Cayman if this continues to avoid damaging the 911's superiority?"
Quote:

The Cayman is slowly establishing itself as the drivers Porsche
Quote:

The Cayman is capable of destroying a Ferrari F430 on the sports car racing circuit
Quote:

The PCar is just so much more forgiving than the 911. A regular driver will be much faster in this than a 911
Quote:

The new Porsche is actually everything the 911 has not been for most of its career: confidence-inspiring, super-stable, totally balanced, quite forgiving, a gifted storyteller that is equally good at listening
Quote:

The Cayman is Porsche's purest expression yet of the sports car.

Seems great. But still looks like a sissy without a rear wing.

Quote:

The Cayman is capable of destroying a Ferrari F430 on the sports car racing circuit
Why does that strike me as being a bit too optimistic :p ??

And I do like the Cayman as I love all Porsches....but as JC said in Top Gear, it seems like Porsche deliberately made the car slower so that it doesnt beat the 911....

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikhilb2008
Why does that strike me as being a bit too optimistic :p ??

Ferrari's are basically fast road cars. Porkers have immense track capabilities. Look at the Top Gear circuit timings for data

Quote:

Why does that strike me as being a bit too optimistic
It is actually. The discussion was on how a Cayman would perform with some recently introduced modifications.

Quote:

Seems great. But still looks like a sissy without a rear wing.
Have you seen it on the road yet? Trust me, it will change any opinion you may have. It looks nothing like a boxster except for those headlights. The rear 3/4 view with those voluptuous rear wheel arches is to die for! Nothing sissy about this car in the least! Infact it is one of the best looking coupe's out there at the moment IMO.

Heck, given the money, I'd prefer this over a 911 Carrera.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat
Ferrari's are basically fast road cars. Porkers have immense track capabilities. Look at the Top Gear circuit timings for data

The cayman is no where close to the F430 on the Top Gear test track.

The Cayman S may be a little closer but not that much....

And the only Porsches on the list ahead of the F430 is the GT3 RS and the Carrera GT.

So, no way a Cayman S will be faster than an F430.

And who says Ferraris are fast road cars ??

Their highest end cars are better off on the track than the road. And the amt of options an F430 has to be used on the track dont justify your statement

I think this car is a pure drivers' car. It found many worshippers amongst the journos who went to Dubai for that great long drive Porsche presented them with including our very own Adil etc.. But then again, Journos are what they are; Can't fully swallow what they offer. Right?

But I'm sure this has'nt missed a tune. Many of my friends abroad are also of the same opinion after they took this on a spin.

The sissy look is something porsche is doing to their cars these days. Even Cayenne has some bits of it. Maybe it's to get some chickys to drive these 'made for men to oogle' machines. But these days, we should remind Porsche that even women buy that overrated magazine from Hugh Heffner. So, it's not that necessary to make their cars sissy. Am I right guys?

Quote:

The cayman is no where close to the F430 on the Top Gear test track.

The Cayman S may be a little closer but not that much....
Well the 430 has not been "stigged" as yet. The 60CS is a totally different machine. If you notice - it is slightly faster than a 575 - a car with over 50% more power

Quote:

And who says Ferraris are fast road cars ??
Their highest end cars are better off on the track than the road. And the amt of options an F430 has to be used on the track dont justify your statement
My experience on track with a 360 and a Boxster - The Ferrari is a wonderful, capable driving machine. The Boxster was quite lusty, responsive and enjoyable - imagine the Cayman which builds on this further. Also comments from a few people who have taken these cars to the limit. Highest end - you mean Enzo ? Well the 430 is the lowest end and the best drivers car of the lot. The 575, 612 etc are "mere fast track cars". the fact that the Cayman does not need options to perform on track says something.

Have you ever driven a car on circuit - it is totally different from the road

I havent driven a car at alll anywhere :p

And I dont think the 575/599/612 are meant to be thrashed on the track....so, there I agree with you.

But not so with the F430. It is a highly capable car. But as I have never driven anything, I guess you may be right.... afterall, seeing (or in this case driving) is believing :p

But I seriously doubt the F430 will be beaten by the Cayman

And yeah...it has not been 'stigged' .... I guess I mixed it up with some other car.

And the F430 is supposed to compete with cars like 911 turbo, Lambo gallardo...... I doubt the Cayman will be a match for it.

And I didnt even get the 360 CS into the picture here....it is in a totally different league (with the GT3 RS )

the cayman only came is s trim before so i think those comments are based on that. on the other hand, the only porsche i would ever buy is the carrera gt, and the new gt2, and gt3, and a normal turbo, and a cayman. argh damn i love porsches.

Comparo of a F430 and a Cayman S ??:Shockked: In terms of performance and price, the F430 is in the same range as the Porsche 911 Turbo S.

As fo the Cayman,absolutely do not like the car. Its like yelling out "A car? I'll go second-best for anything in life." If price is an issue forcing you to get a Cayman S, get the Lotus Exige S instead. Definetely more thrilling, albeit a little less utilitarian.

The cayman S is Ok,but its lower brother the Cayman is no good at all.

OT:
@Nikhilb..: Dude, y do u wanna go head-on with the mods?
From what i see in ur avatar as well as ur signature,ur a DIE-HARD tifosi.
Yes, I am one too and so is GTO and a few others.
Be a little open-minded to others' views/opinions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech
Trust me, it will change any opinion you may have. It looks nothing like a boxster except for those headlights. The rear 3/4 view with those voluptuous rear wheel arches is to die for! Nothing sissy about this car in the least! Infact it is one of the best looking coupe's out there at the moment IMO.

Heck, given the money, I'd prefer this over a 911 Carrera.

i have to agree with Rtech here when he says it's one of the best looking coupe's out there.

i've seen a couple of Cayman's (Caymen?) on the road and they do stand out. the dual-center exhauts look really neat, and so does the sloping rear - i Love it!
though when it comes to choosing a Cayman over the 911 - thats a confusing issue - for me!

when Porsche introduced the Cayman S, they'd slotted it exactly between the Boxster and the 911 Carrera (...and the Universe hung in perfect balance for a year or so).

now, however, that distinction is a little vague - the Boxster S and the Cayman S share the 3.4l engine that the Cayman S was introduced with, while the Boxster and Cayman share the 2.7l engine. the Cayman has been known to have been referred to as a hard-top Boxster.

the only upsetting feature regarding the Cayman S is it's highly deceptive price tag of USD 58,900 ($49,400 for the Cayman). when you shell out that much money, you expect a lot of car but in reality what you get is a basic car with highly-basic features. try to throw in some attractive options (luxurious or sporty), and you enter 911 Carrera territory ($70,000+) - which gets one (me) in a big fix - go in for a base 911 or it's "fully-loaded" little brother (sister?) ?!

ps. forgot to add that all this will only be possible when i have $60,000 to spend...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous
OT:
@Nikhilb..: Dude, y do u wanna go head-on with the mods?
From what i see in ur avatar as well as ur signature,ur a DIE-HARD tifosi.
Yes, I am one too and so is GTO and a few others.
Be a little open-minded to others' views/opinions.

err.....why do I want to go head on with the mods ??

I didnt go head on with any one..... I accepted that the other guy may be right as he has after all driven a 360.

But my logic tells me that Ferrari cant make a car which is supposed to compete against the 911 Turbo/Gallardo but which can be beaten by a Cayman..... that is all...

And from what I know a forum is a place where people discuss abt various things. I dont think I was out of my bounds.... I was giving my point of view and the other guy was giving his.....

And why do you bring in the fact that he is a mod ?? I was replying to his posts as a normal member..... it does not make much of a difference if a newbie/experienced member had posted that.... I would have still stated my point of view....

I only hope this post is also not deleted for being OT.