Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2016, 16:06   #1
BHPian

The I-Pace: Jaguar's Electric SUV

Jaguar has come up with a electric powered SUV which is expected to be near production ready and may launch by mid-2018. Having zilch knowledge about technical aspects of automobiles, I thought more knowledgeable members could be interested in the development.

Here's the excerpt from an article in Topgear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
J
Quote:
Jaguar is going Tesla-hunting. This hunk of futurism is the new Jaguar I-Pace concept: a 394bhp, 4WD, pure electric SUV that’s the size of a Porsche Macan but has Cayenne levels of space inside. And it’s not a far-away vision of the future: you’ll be able to buy something virtually identical to it in mid-2018.

“It’s a concept car, but honestly it’s pretty close,” explains Jaguar design director Ian Callum. “There’s a few little details here and there that you won’t see in production, but most people won’t notice much of a difference. It’s really quite different from anything we’ve done before, or indeed anyone’s done before, really.”

He’s not wrong. If you’re having a hard time getting your head around the car’s proportions right now, that’s because they’re the polar opposite to its running mate, the F-Pace. By starting with what Callum calls a “skateboard” platform – a flat battery between the axles with an electric motor at either end, all developed in-house – he and his team had total freedom to place things wherever they wanted.

“There’s no point in a long bonnet because it doesn’t have a great six-cylinder engine like the E-Type. I found it fascinating that we could take an SUV and give it the characteristic of a mid-engine sports car in its profile because you’re bringing the cab forward and nestling it between the wheels,” explains Callum.
Attached Thumbnails
The I-Pace: Jaguar's Electric SUV-jaguar-1.jpg  

The I-Pace: Jaguar's Electric SUV-jaguar-2.jpg  

The I-Pace: Jaguar's Electric SUV-jaguar-3.jpg  

The I-Pace: Jaguar's Electric SUV-jaguar-4.jpg  

The I-Pace: Jaguar's Electric SUV-jaguar-5.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 16th November 2016 at 09:35. Reason: Keeping the fair usage policy in mind, it's best to share an excerpt + link to full article. Thanks
vamsi.kona is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 19:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The I-Pace: Jaguar's Electric SUV

Feel proud that such a futuristic, technically cutting edge product will be produced by a company, which is owned by one of the business groups of our country.

Waiting for the day when such technology percolates down to our shores, for us to experience and enjoy.

Keep revvin' JLR (and Tata Motors)

arjab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 20:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 16th November 2016 at 09:37.
srishiva is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th November 2016, 08:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is looking good. Both design and spec wise.

deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 09:43   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The I-Pace: Jaguar's Electric SUV

Jaguar is seriously on a roll, all thanks to....you guessed it, product & design. The only other luxury car manufacturer who I can say this for is Mercedes. Both of these marques are making more money than ever before because of great products & fabulous designs. What amazing turnaround stories.

If I were Tesla, I'd be damn worried. Sure, Tesla got a jump on everyone else in EVs. But the big boys are now catching up. Luxury EVs will no longer be a Tesla USP. With bigger R&D bucks, brands like Mercedes will easily overtake Tesla. The Model S was impressive at the time of its launch; now however, it's starting to look dated. And you can't even compare its interior to that of an S-Class.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 10:51   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Live images from the unveiling at the LA Motor Show:

Last edited by RavenAvi : 16th November 2016 at 11:01.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 11:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If I were Tesla, I'd be damn worried. Sure, Tesla got a jump on everyone else in EVs. But the big boys are now catching up. Luxury EVs will no longer be a Tesla USP. With bigger R&D bucks, brands like Mercedes will easily overtake Tesla. The Model S was impressive at the time of its launch; now however, it's starting to look dated. And you can't even compare its interior to that of an S-Class.
I have a slightly different take on this because Tesla as an electric car brand is already cool and aspirational in the same mould as iPhone is cool and aspirational. Because it is already cool and aspirational, someone will have to come with a product comprehensively better or atleast as good as Tesla at the atleast same price. The problem with that is Tesla has a head start and that head start is the Giga factory which is the single largest lithium ion battery plant in the world, by far and away the most important component of an electric automobile and is in construction for the past few years. The sheer scale favors Tesla which means they can churn out a lot of EV's quicker and cheaper and probably better specc'd.

Lets also not forget the charging infrastructure which Tesla has already built around the globe, a massive exercise in itself. Combine all this and you will realise that Tesla has built itself a far bigger lead compared to other manufacturers which are still releasing concept EV cars.

In phone parlance, that is like getting an all round better iPhone which is cheaper than an equivalent Android phone with market supply not restricted by the supply chain. Infact if the future is EVs then every big automobile manufacturer today should be really worried.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 15:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I have a slightly different take on this because Tesla as an electric car brand is already cool and aspirational in the same mould as iPhone is cool and aspirational...

...In phone parlance, that is like getting an all round better iPhone which is cheaper than an equivalent Android phone with market supply not restricted by the supply chain. Infact if the future is EVs then every big automobile manufacturer today should be really worried.
You're forgetting the software. What changed the mobile industry after the iPhone wasn't the hardware, as good as that was, it was the software. None of the others could catch up in software and they had to shut down. And no one does software better than San Francisco.

All of these factors combined, and Tesla is the ape in a dinosaur world of internal combustion engines.

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please avoid quoting the entire post as it may inconvenience small-screen / mobile users. Quote only the relevant portions instead. Thank you for your anticipated co-operation.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th November 2016 at 15:20. Reason: see note in post :)
ach1lles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 00:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is the first EV that looks really good in my opinion.

Looks can be subjective but there is no denying how beautiful the I-Pace is.

Jaguar says the car charges fully in 2 hours with a range of 220 miles (on the US cycle which is quite realistic)
EVs sure have come a long way and maybe in the next 5 years or so, they could really prove to be a practical alternative to the internal combustion engine.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 17th November 2016 at 00:02.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 09:53   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Tesla as an electric car brand is already cool and aspirational in the same mould as iPhone is cool and aspirational.
I completely agree. However, let's not forget that Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar etc. aren't exactly an HTC or Samsung. They have immense brand value too.

What's more, the big boys have larger R&D budgets (especially Mercedes) and a solid worldwide presence. Tesla is still burning money and has the USA as its primary market.

But getting back to the main matter, Tesla's USP has been electric. That USP is fast diminishing.

Quote:
The problem with that is Tesla has a head start and that head start is the Giga factory which is the single largest lithium ion battery plant in the world
Quote:
Lets also not forget the charging infrastructure which Tesla has already built around the globe
No doubt, it's quite a head start. But as EVs get more & more mainstream, these will become very low barriers to entry. Many more charging options will come up (including Governments investing in the same), as will battery suppliers.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 10:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I completely agree. However, let's not forget that Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar etc. aren't exactly an HTC or Samsung. They have immense brand value too.
I am not denying the fact that they have immense brand value, it is just not in the same space. Tesla is already beating the big boys at their own game.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/10/14/t...-luxury-sedan/

Also, an EV is a completely different ball game primarily because an electric motor is not a complex piece, but the batteries that supply the energy and the software that runs behind in the background managing all this are indeed complex. Who would have thought that a car could get new features via a software upgrade while it is standing still in your garage. And as a previous poster said, no one does software better than San Frans. Again Tesla is not a traditional car company in the sense that it is equally focused at software as it is to batteries and electric motors.

Quote:
What's more, the big boys have larger R&D budgets (especially Mercedes) and a solid worldwide presence. Tesla is still burning money and has the USA as its primary market.
Agreed but the primary reason why they have these budgets is because they have a large model range. Tesla sells a grand total of 2 models, the model s and the model x. Everything else are mainly variants which are relatively easier to manage compared to a traditional car with different engines and gearboxes combinations and then different specs.

Quote:
No doubt, it's quite a head start. But as EVs get more & more mainstream, these will become very low barriers to entry. Many more charging options will come up (including Governments investing in the same), as will battery suppliers.
Tesla is an EV only company and thats a big big advantage because it gives them focus. I am not sure how a traditional car company will have the same focus when they "also" start making the EV's.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 17th November 2016 at 10:10.
Old 18th November 2016, 09:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
So did Nokia, Blackberry & Windows Phone. Today the only two mobile computing platforms that you think about buying did not even exist 10 years ago.

Quote:
No doubt, it's quite a head start. But as EVs get more & more mainstream, these will become very low barriers to entry
It's not just the capabilities of the existing behemoths. It's the intent. It is the same dilemma every industry "giant" faces. They carry inertia. For the way they're doing things. They're invested in the existing way of doing things. They've developed this, and this old way is giving them lots and lots of money right now. While the new guy has momentum and a will to disrupt.

The biggest advantage the old behemoths enjoy is the mechanical part of developing a car. The ICE is extremely complex with millimetre precision required for 100s, if not thousands of components. The electric engine completely flips that around.

Quote:
Tesla is an EV only company and thats a big big advantage because it gives them focus. I am not sure how a traditional car company will have the same focus when they "also" start making the EV's.
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2016, 13:16   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Jaguar has already started testing the i Pace test mule;

The I-Pace: Jaguar's Electric SUV-2019jaguaripacemulestilllookslikeababyfpace_3.jpg

Source
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 14:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar to unveil all-electric I-Pace SUV on March 1, 2018

Jaguar has announced that it will be live-streaming the premiere of the I-Pace electric SUV on March 1, 2018 at 11.30 pm (IST). The company will be announcing the pricing as well as opening bookings for the car on the same date as well. The vehicle is scheduled to be showcased at the upcoming Geneva Motor Show on March 6.

The I-Pace: Jaguar's Electric SUV-jipace18mywintertesting31011801resize1024x681.jpg

The I-Pace will be positioned between the F-Pace and the smaller E-Pace in the company's SUV line-up. The company had showcased the I-Pace Concept in 2016. It had two electric motors powered by a 90 kWh battery with a combined output of 395 BHP and 700 Nm of torque.

The I-Pace: Jaguar's Electric SUV-jipace18mywintertesting31011809resize1024x681.jpg

Jaguar claims that 80% of the I-Pace's battery can be recharged in 45 minutes using a 100 kW DC fast charger, while the usual 50 kW DC charging point will replenish the batteries in 2 hours.

The I-Pace: Jaguar's Electric SUV-jipaceroadtrip061217009resize1024x682.jpg

The car is likely to be equipped with 12-inch and 5.5-inch touchscreens in the centre console for the infotainment and climate control systems respectively.

The I-Pace is expected to compete with the Tesla model X. The broadcast of the unveiling can be viewed at this link:

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 26th February 2018 at 14:51.
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 10:21   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jaguar to unveil all-electric I-Pace SUV on March 1, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
It had two electric motors powered by a 90 kWh battery with a combined output of 395 BHP and 700 Nm of torque.
. Best news for us is, Tata will inevitably benefit from all of Jaguar's electric vehicle R&D.

Quote:
Jaguar claims that 80% of the I-Pace's battery can be recharged in 45 minutes using a 100 kW DC fast charger, while the usual 50 kW DC charging point will replenish the batteries in 2 hours.
Takes 10 minutes to fill up a car (if you're already on the road) or 20ish minutes (if you have to specially go and fill up) currently. If I can get an 80% in 45 minutes at my own house, that's just awesome. Or I could simply charge it overnight. But then, not everyone has a parking spot within a compound in India (Jaguar owners surely will).

I've said it before and will say it again - with the mainstream manufacturers entering the EV space, Tesla's first-mover advantage will diminish. And as we've seen with the Model 3, they aren't exactly a mass market manufacturer yet.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed