Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2016, 11:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

DriveNow (BMW) and Car2Go (Mercedes) to create Share Now car-sharing service

Mercedes' parent company - Daimler, and BMW are reportedly planning to merge their car-sharing services to pose a potent competition to Uber. If these reports do come out to be true, BMW's DriveNow and Daimler's Car2Go will operate on a shared platform, though they are likely to retain their individual brand identities.

BMW started DriveNow under a joint venture with Sixt in 2011. On the other hand, Daimler's Car2Go was founded back in 2008. However, despite being operational for a fairly long period, both these car-sharing services haven't managed to pose a considerable threat to the US-based ride-hailing service company - Uber. Acknowledging that ride-sharing services will influence the future of automotive industry, both Mercedes and BMW appear to be interested in making a mark in this domain, and have thus reportedly decided to join hands to offer a competitive alternative to Uber.

Currently, Daimler's Car2Go has 14,000 vehicles operating globally, while BMW's DriveNow operates around 5,390 vehicles in Europe.

Media reports have further mentioned that the two companies are also contemplating on adding more of their services to the joint venture. These services include Daimler's Mytaxi cab agent and Moovel internet platform, and BMW's ParkNow and ChargeNow brands.

Source: CarScoops

DriveNow (BMW) and Car2Go (Mercedes) to create Share Now car-sharing service-car2go7984x500.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News
dZired is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 20:10   #2
BHPian

re: DriveNow (BMW) and Car2Go (Mercedes) to create Share Now car-sharing service

It seems all the biggies are into some car sharing. GM purchases Lyft, Now this.

Good times ahead
Old 19th August 2019, 22:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

DriveNow (BMW Group) and Car2Go (Daimler) to create SHARE NOW.

Relatively old news but some wonderful comparisons as posted at BMW.com, don't know if it's for real or just a prank

BMW and Mercedes have always been rivals, but now the car manufacturers are collaborating on car sharing services. That means car sharing members have the option to temporarily suspend their allegiance to their favorite brand – BMW drivers can try a Mercedes and Mercedes fans can take a BMW for a spin. And at our request, two car sharing users have done just that…

Daniel M. is a 34-year-old architect from Munich. Our experiment put this staunch BMW fan behind the wheel of a Mercedes for the first time ever.

Here’s where the problems start. In my BMW 330i, everything is where it’s supposed to be. The Mercedes GLA has carelessly relocated many features. As I’m diligently looking around for the parking brake, I discover it in the form of an extra pedal way off in the left field. In a stick shift, that would mean a total of four pedals. Gives a whole new meaning to “four on the floor,” doesn’t it? Add one or two more of those and you’ve got yourself a nice little organ there.

I have to admit that the GLA is a really smooth and fun ride. I’m even considering buying myself a Daimler – in 20 or 30 years maybe. So there’s my test drive at an end. It was fun. But it would have been better without the rain and me having to constantly deal with the blinker/wiper conundrum

Katharina K. is a 36-year-old doctor from Stuttgart. The lovely Mercedes lady bravely sat behind the wheel of a BMW for the first time in our BMW vs Mercedes experiment.

After I was born, my father, who naturally worked for Daimler, brought me home from the hospital in our Mercedes 300 D. When I was a teenager, he told me that I was never to bring home a boyfriend who drove a BMW.

To help calm my nerves, I carefully place a Mercedes sticker over the BMW logo on the steering wheel. Much better.

After the first few miles, I have to say that it really hugs the curves, which makes it fun to drive. Now I am personally acquainted with every manhole cover in this city – driving the BMW X2 is a bit more bracing than I’m used to. But what I want to know is this: If BMW builds such great race cars, why were they only Formula 1 world champions that one time in 1983? Mercedes manages to win the title every year – just saying.

https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-li...r-sharing.html

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th August 2019 at 22:49.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 14:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

re: DriveNow (BMW) and Car2Go (Mercedes) to create Share Now car-sharing service

I can so relate to both. I am a regular user of Drivenow services from the day it was launched and with the merger I got to use the Car2Go services too. Pretty neat stuff and their business region has expanded now to a useable range. With Sixt and Revv cars starting similar services, competition is only growing hotter. For all visiting Germany, now sixt offers ride share and has partnered with VW/Audi (it used to be BMW earlier). So, one can ride the latest polo, golf and A3/Q2/3 when in Germany with the ride share app from sixt.

Back to my experience, switching back and forth between a Merc and a BMW is really a pain. Over the years, I have grown addicted to BMW layout and position of switches. I find it personally more logically placed and driver oriented. Being a mercedes fan boy since childhood, I kind of hated it myself that I was slowly starting to like BMWs. But, I still support Mercs at the Formula 1 and Porsches everywhere else and Audi at the rallysports and drive a Beemer as my daily drive and I love it to the core. Being a F-series car, it has its flaws but I love it for what it is and how it drives. I am not a fan of merc software, switchgear or its interior. The latest A-class in my personal opinion has the worst quality switchgear and stalks mercs have ever made.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 20th August 2019 at 14:06.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks