Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2017, 07:44   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The next-gen 2017 Suzuki WagonR

A first set of pictures of the next-gen Suzuki WagonR and WagonR Stingray have surfaced in the Japanese online media ahead of the car's official unveil this month ( January 7th?)

The current car’s simple and understated styling has been replaced by a more quirky one with bolder design details.

Quote:
The standard WagonR now comes with split headlamps along with a huge two-part grille.
The next-gen 2017 Suzuki WagonR-1-1.jpg
The next-gen 2017 Suzuki WagonR-12.jpg
The next-gen 2017 Suzuki WagonR-13.jpg
The next-gen 2017 Suzuki WagonR-16.jpg
The next-gen 2017 Suzuki WagonR-15.jpg

Quote:
The front bumper also gets a huge grille section which adds to the car's bold look. At the sides is one of the boldest design elements of the new WagonR; a body coloured B pillar that stylistically divides the car into distinct front and rear passenger sections. The pillar is thicker especially at the base achieved by cutting into the rear side glass at the bottom. The wing mirror is now placed on the door and not on the pillar. The WagonR gets mild fender flares and a prominent body line that runs across its length towards the lower edge. Moving on to the back, the new Suzuki WagonR gets rear styling similar to the Japanese Alto with a clean tailgate with the taillamps sunken low down just above the rear bumper
India plans not known yet but expect this to come in later part of 2017. Styling could be a bit different for the Indian version.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th January 2017 at 07:52.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 07:49   #2
BHPian

re: The next-gen 2017 Suzuki WagonR

One word : Ugly.
Why would India need this if there's Ignis launch in pipeline?

Unless, they are trying to replace Versa/Eeco with this.
The Brutailer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 09:17   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Front looks 'ok'ish compared to the rear. Current gen Wagon-R has a far better rear end. Stingray looks more like Force Traveller to me.

PS: Looking at the rear seat window position, I doubt if Japanese could ever see the road going by their average height and the seating position

Quote:
Eeco with this styling should be much better than Wagon-R. It get's an advantage of larger wheelbase / overall length, again a big NO for the rear end.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 09:30   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

As a current gen WagonR owner, my thoughts on the new design are:
  • The front looks smart. I like those split headlamps.
  • The small bonnet is welcome. It will increase visibility even further (it depends on the seat height and dashboard too)
  • The new mirrors look good too.
  • The B-pillar is quirky in a very bad way. I am not sure if I can digest this design change. It appears as if the rear door will open from the B-pillar (something like the Phantom).
  • The rear is outright ugly. It appears as if a Tata Ace carrier has been converted into a passenger van.

Last edited by ashis89 : 5th January 2017 at 09:31. Reason: Formatting
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 12:11   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The next-gen 2017 Suzuki WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
When did any WagonR win a beauty contest? It sells because of its practicality.

Rest assured, Maruti will tweak the design for India & tone it down. The Japanese one is too radical. Maruti's recent designs (barring the S-Cross) are all nice looking. They'll especially work hard on the WagonR's styling as it's a consistent 15,000 / month seller!
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 12:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
"Ugly" is selling around 15k units per month, which is about the half-early sales figure for some "pretty" models from other manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When did any WagonR win a beauty contest? It sells because of its practicality.
I agree. I have seen this car (and it's competitors) in Japan and it's so practical. One wouldn't have to invest 20-30 lacs for a 7 seater people-mover in India if you had such a vehicle. If launched in this 7-seater avatar, it could open up an entirely new segment in the market here! I can only imagine the potential this has if launched/priced in the 7.5-9.5 lac range.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 12:34   #7
BHPian

And looks like it has grown quite a bit. Lateral as well longitudinal dimensions look bigger on first glance. I quite like the front-end of the brown Wagon-R.

The StingRay front-end looks like some Chevrolet I can't place. The split headlamps on the brown one also look like the American GMC / Chevrolet trucks of yore.

Like GTO has pointed out, irrespective of how it looks (the rear especially), I hope there are enough practical features and interior space that are the Wagon-R's USPs.
Sangre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 12:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
PS: Looking at the rear seat window position, I doubt if Japanese could ever see the road going by their average height and the seating position.
The average male height of the Japanese (5'-7.5") being much larger as compared to Indians (5'-5") and quite close to that of the Americans (5'-8"), I find this statement highly exaggerated and dismissive in nature.

Have you sat in this car or been to Japan, friend, to be making such sweeping judgments?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ight_worldwide
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 12:47   #9
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The rear looks like it has been designed by a 4-year old kid trying to draw his/her school-bus.

The front end with split headlamps give it a illusion-effect. Keep staring at the split grille section for a couple of minutes and you will go into the trance mode.

Looks hideous IMO !

But yes this hideous box will definitely do good numbers in the monthly sales chart.

Recently I drove a WagonR Stingray and I was really surprised at the amount of space I had. Loved the rear seat space as well. Great as a 4-seater, the 5th person will be a squeeze though.

Last edited by //M : 5th January 2017 at 12:49.
//M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 13:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
The average male height of the Japanese (5'-7.5") being much larger as compared to Indians (5'-5") and quite close to that of the Americans (5'-8"), I find this statement highly exaggerated and dismissive in nature.
Statement holds good for the current generation, not the previous ones.
My intention was about the elderly people on the rear and I do agree I should have made it clear on my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
Have you sat in this car or been to Japan, friend, to be making such sweeping judgments?
I said "Looking at the window position" and not "looking from the window position" I never sat on this car but FYI I'm a frequent flyer to Japan.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 14:23   #11

The front of this next gen Wagon R is not that bad, especially the one in white however the B- Pillars and the rear has been a step ahead in Suzuki's spoiling spree of past next gens.

Suzuki has not been leaving a single stone upturned in bring uglier next gens.

Here are few Suzuki's and the way they were draped in their next gens

Maruti 800 1st gen - Best
2nd gen - Good
3rd gen - Fine
Zen 1st 2nd gen - Great
3rd gen - Good
4th gen Estilo - Ugly
Wagon R 1st gen - Best
2nd gen - Fine
3rd gen - Good
4th gen - Opinion Poll running in the thread
Swift 1st gen - Best
2nd gen - Good
3rd gen - Fine
4th gen - Opinion Poll http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...d-japan-2.html
CSharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 14:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Barring the awkward rear tail lamps i think it looks kinda ok. Get a more conventional tail lamp and this new baby from Suzuki is all ready to set sales chart on fire. While in picture the Wagon R looks big, it is actually going to much smaller than Eeco.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 17:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
The rear looks like it has been designed by a 4-year old kid trying to draw his/her school-bus.
Haven't laughed as hard for quite a while Your post made my day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Recently I drove a WagonR Stingray and I was really surprised at the amount of space I had. Loved the rear seat space as well. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
.. I hope there are enough practical features and interior space that are the Wagon-R's USPs.
Having experienced a Wagon-R (current version) for the last 5 years in the immediate family, all I can say is I've grown from a silent critic (was prejudiced probably) to appreciating the car.
No wonder it sells 15K per month on a consistent basis. The car oozes of practicality: spacious, airy, efficient, hassle-free, comfortable especially for the elderly and good to drive with the K-series engine.

Coudn't help noticing that the new model has an even longer wheel base, read: even better interior space. On the whole Suzuki seems to have maintained focus on the Wagon-R's core USP - Practicality

Last edited by for_cars1 : 5th January 2017 at 17:51.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 17:42   #14
BHPian

Oh boy, my eyes hurt when looking at the split headlights/bumper.
The rear is no different!

What on earth they were thinking before going for this design?
The front totally looks like double vision. Just google double vision and look for images
pkulkarni.2106 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 19:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Rest assured, Maruti will tweak the design for India & tone it down.
Very True.

This purely looks like made for JDM and going by MSIL trend, India might get a different waggy who shares majority of the parts with recent MSIL launches.

IIRC, current generation Wagon-R is here since 2011 and though it's a high time for an update (not sticker job please), it might just be continued for a year or two at least.
Hrishi_111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks