Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2017, 10:25   #1
BHPian

Thieves drive off 150 Jeeps using stolen computer code

News from Washington Post

Using stolen computer codes thieves were able to obtain duplicate keys and then steal cars. Sharing VIN can be dangerous.

Read here:
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/transportati...Transportation
lejhoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 09:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Thieves drive off 150 Jeeps using stolen computer code

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
Sharing VIN can be dangerous.
After reading this, I am afraid of the VIN Sticker pasted by the vehicle Manufacturer on Window Glass.

Does this mean that Sticker should be removed after taking delivery of new vehicle?
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 09:13   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Does this mean that Sticker should be removed after taking delivery of new vehicle?
Of course, by all means do so. That sticker is meant to track the vehicle during assembly and shipping phases at the factory. Use WD40 or similar solution to peel off the sticker.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 09:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
After reading this, I am afraid of the VIN Sticker pasted by the vehicle Manufacturer on Window Glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Of course, by all means do so. That sticker is meant to track the vehicle during assembly and shipping phases at the factory. Use WD40 or similar solution to peel off the sticker.
Cars in the US are mandated to display their VIN; most commonly, you will find it on the lower corner of the front windshield. Ford cars even in India display it.

I have a feeling this could be an inside job, or sophisticated hacking.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 10:04   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Cars in the US are mandated to display their VIN; most commonly, you will find it on the lower corner of the front windshield. Ford cars even in India display it.

I have a feeling this could be an inside job, or sophisticated hacking.
Yes, but the main difference is those are far more discrete than a large sticker with the VIN # and a bar code on the quarter glass or a fender. Besides, since it is not mandatory in this country why display this info?

This may be an inside job and after this incident the Feds may pause to think if displaying the VIN on the windshield is such a good idea.

PS - there are some in India who get the car's VIN etched on the front and/or rear windshields as an anti theft measure

Last edited by R2D2 : 3rd June 2017 at 10:11. Reason: added PS & corrected typos
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 11:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
PS - there are some in India who get the car's VIN etched on the front and/or rear windshields as an anti theft measure
Few years back, it was mandatory (or otherwise in vogue) to get the Registration Number etched on all 4 side windows . I remember my cars having it. Don't know what happened to that rule/trend.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 11:42   #7
BANNED

Quote:
People get their registration numbers etched, not VINs here, to prevent and identify stolen cars and windshields.

Like you said, why display the VIN here when it is not compulsory? Technology doesnt take a lot of time to penetrate one market after another and with the kind of anti-theft infrastructure we have, it is easier to execute here.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 13:31   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
People get their registration numbers etched, not VINs here, to prevent and identify stolen cars and windshields.
True, it's mostly the registration #. But I've known some of my friends etching the VIN as well. Reason is many stolen cars have their VINs filed/scraped off before sale.

As for my cars, no etching of VIN or reg. # yet.

Most Viewed