Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2006, 15:47   #1
Team-BHP Support

Tata aquires Nissan Plant in SA

Tata is going Gung Ho on the South African market
http://www.myiris.com/newsCentre/new...secID=livenews
Excerpt from article
Quote:
The acquired facility in Pretoria has been engaged in making trucks for the USD 80.5 billion Nissan. It is not clear whether Tatas would use this unit for making only commercial vehicles or also for producing its cars. However, the transaction value remains undisclosed.
Old 7th November 2006, 15:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors seems to have a penchant for Nissan plants.
About a decade or so back, they had purchased a closed Nissan paint shop in Australia and brought it to Pune. They've been using it for painting Indicas. It cost them a fraction of what a new one would have cost. Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

South Africa is being targetted as a major focus market by Tata Motors and they already seem to have made headway, looking at the sales figues.
Old 7th November 2006, 20:46   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

M&M has been working to get a good foot hold in the RSA market. Tata has been quite active in Africa, and now goes one step further.

Good to see the two competing like this.
Old 8th November 2006, 20:48   #4
BHPian

I Remember that, tata buying truck manufacturing plant in Korea... Tata is on a high ah!!
Old 9th November 2006, 12:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Rage
I Remember that, tata buying truck manufacturing plant in Korea... Tata is on a high ah!!
Tata didn't buy the Korean plant. They acquired a company there, including its plant and other assets, besides rights to the Daewoo trade mark, as applicable to commercial vehicles.

On the other hand, the South African and the Australian purchases have been purchases of plants/machinery and nothing more.

Cheers!

Last edited by directinjection : 9th November 2006 at 13:01.
Old 9th November 2006, 14:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good to see Tata Auto going places. But what I would also like to see them do is invest some more money into upgardation of Technology for their vehicles in both the Commercial & Passenger segments.

I mean look at the manufacturers of UV's in Europe they pro-actively develop their engines to match the emission norms much before they are enacted, whereas in our scenario the manufacturers only ever upgrade the engines significantly when new pollution norms come into the picture. This acquisitions of Tata will hopefull translate into better & cleaner UV's for our market.

I do know that most manufacturers in India are guilty of lethargy with regards to introduction of affordable new technology but I would personally I would like to see TATA take the lead here. Once they do introduce the same I'm sure that with the competitiveness of the market the other players too will follow suit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks