Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2017, 16:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i30 Fastback unveiled

Hyundai has unveiled the new i30 in a fastback body style. This model is the latest member of the i30 family, which also includes a hatchback and an estate/station wagon.

Hyundai has given the model a refresh with a new hexagonal grille flanked by sweptback headlamps with projector lights. The fastback profile is more prominent when viewed from the side. The roof slopes down and kicks up at the rear to culminate in a bold boot spoiler.

Hyundai i30 Fastback unveiled-hyundai-i30-fastback1.jpg

The i30 Fastback is 115 mm longer than the hatchback and measures 4,455 mm in overall length. The car's coupe-like roofline is 25 mm lower than the hatchback's and Hyundai claims that the suspension setup is 15% stiffer.

Inside, the i30 Fastback gets an infotainment system with a 5.0-inch display, while high-end variants get an 8.0-inch touchscreen system. Other features include satellite navigation, smartphone connectivity, cruise control and driver assist systems like autonomous emergency braking, driver attention alert, rear-cross traffic alert, lane keeping assist, speed limit information function and high beam assist.

Hyundai i30 Fastback unveiled-hyundai-i30-fastback2.jpg

At its global unveiling, Hyundai also revealed the list of engines available with the i30 Fastback. A 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder turbocharged petrol with 118 BHP is the smallest powerplant on offer, while a 1.4-litre turbo petrol with 138 BHP is also available. A 6-speed manual transmission is available with the 1.0-litre engine, while a 7-speed dual-clutch gearbox is offered with the 1.4 litre unit. A 1.6-litre, 4-cylinder diesel unit is available in 108 BHP and 134 BHP versions with a choice of manual or automatic transmissions. All engines get an engine start/stop system.

Hyundai has not revealed any plan to introduce the i30 range in India.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Last edited by Aditya : 18th July 2017 at 07:18.
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 17:30   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback unveiled

The biggest problem with the i30 will be its price & positioning. More than the price I feel it will be positioning that will be an issue. The i20 is already priced quite high and anything higher I am really doubtful if the Indian consumer will accept.
Had Hyundai kept the i20 prices on par with Swift than there was a possibility of getting the i30 as a competition to the Baleno. But then the i30 (global versions) are very well equipped, fall outside the sub 4 meter mark and hence will be more expensive.

Leaving the fact that we might not get the i30, Hyundai designs are maturing extremely fast. On a parting note I wish they make a fastback out of the i20. It will look much better than the Accent and also be much better loaded.
Maverick1977 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 18:13   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
The biggest problem with the i30 will be its price & positioning. More than the price I feel it will be positioning that will be an issue. The i20 is already priced quite high and anything higher I am really doubtful if the Indian consumer will accept.
Had Hyundai kept the i20 prices on par with Swift than there was a possibility of getting the i30 as a competition to the Baleno. But then the i30 (global versions) are very well equipped, fall outside the sub 4 meter mark and hence will be more expensive.
+1 to this.
i30 range if introduced would seriously fall in Verna range. Indian public IMO are not matured enough to buy a fastback at full blown sedan price range. We are still in an era where we believe car prices should be as per physical size.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 10:38   #4
BHPian

Hyundai i30 for India?

What's with these so called news outlets doing speculating about i30 launch in India early next year? 7-9 lacs? LOL!

http://indianexpress.com/photos/pict...res-4754026/2/

http://www.businesstoday.in/sectors/...ry/256597.html

Personally, I would love for that to happen but don't see it happening unfortunately.
Old 18th July 2017, 11:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i30 for India?

Quote:
What's with these so called news outlets doing speculating about i30 launch in India early next year? 7-9 lacs? LOL!
I can take a shot at this

I think, the editor(s) of these news clips were playing 'Rummy' and were driving around in an I20 & I10.

So they just added it up, along with the resale values of their cars!!
Vik0728 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 12:19   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
The biggest problem with the i30 will be its price & positioning.
I think it is the Xcent that makes things complicated if there ever is a case presented for i30.

An i30 can be a good Ford Aspire-ish vehicle.

But given how successful the Xcent has been (on one end of the spectrum) or how complete a sedan the Verna is (on the other end), an i30 just doesn't have a positioning.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 12:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

The i30 was never intended for the local market and Hyundai has no plan to bring it here. This model was meant to taken on the likes of the Golf, Focus and Astra in the European market. With the Golf coming with new variants like the Estate and Plus, Hyundai is now following suit expanding the i30 range. So, keep calm and enjoy the pictures. These pics are all we're gonna get gents.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 13:29   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm going against the tide and think that Hyundai should bring the i30 here. People now don't think twice before paying 11 - 12 lakhs for the highest variant of premium hatchbacks & compact SUVs. The successful ones sell in the thousands per month.

IMHO, Hyundai should take the gamble and launch an uber-premium i30 above the i20. There will be enough customers to make it worthwhile. Will greatly help the brand's positioning too (just like the Elite i20 has contributed to its quality image). A huge gap exists between the current lot of premium hatchbacks (Elite i20, Baleno, Polo) and the next level hatchbacks (A-Class).

Grand i10....Elite i20. Now, Majestic i30? Noble i30?
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 14:43   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Grand i10....Elite i20. Now, Majestic i30? Noble i30?
Just i30 to start with I guess. The prefix usually comes with the successor with Hyundai .
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 11:01   #10
BHPian

ET says i30 launch in India next year, within 15-20 lacs?

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/59647865.cms
Old 19th July 2017, 11:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

A huge gap exists between the current lot of premium hatchbacks (Elite i20, Baleno, Polo) and the next level hatchbacks (A-Class).
Though I'd love to agree with you GTO, I have a very strong feeling that I30 may find just a few more buyers than probably Polo GT did.

My reasoning:

- In India, much of "Bigger is Better" concept is engraved into our heads. So it is difficult to convince 3 out of 5 people that premium hatchbacks are actually better products than some MPVs out there.

- If Hyundai do manage to get the I30 and price it between 15-20 Lks, it is sitting bang next to Creta. I don't see many people buying the former over the latter here.

- The biggest USP of the GT TSI is the DSG, and if VW takes it out of the equation, they may take it out of the competition all together. So prospective GT TSI buyer may consider the base variant of I30 for a while, until he/she realises that the Germans now offers all the bells & whistles like the way Koreans do.

- With GST in full force, the cost of SUVs have actually reduced. Like my first point, an Innova/Creta probably makes a better "Owner's Envy" vehicle for many.

However, I really hope I am proved haplessly wrong by Hyundai and they launch the I30 right where the Elite I20 Asta(O) ends!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 19th July 2017 at 11:40.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 11:19   #12
BHPian

This should settle it for now. Overdrive confirms no i30 for India.

Ignore the poorly written article with typos all over though.

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/2...-anytime-soon/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks