Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2017, 14:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked

Brochure images of the 2018 Rolls Royce Phantom have been leaked ahead of the official unveiling next week. These images are of the eighth-generation extended wheelbase variant of the Phantom.

The new Phantom sports the characteristic up-right grille and a tweaked bumper. The new headlight design incorporates LED lights, while the secondary circular lights have been dropped. The side profile is largely similar to the current generation Phantom.

On the inside, the traditional instrument cluster has been replaced with a digital display. The center console is finished in dark wood trim on the car in the leaked pictures, while the dashboard is lined in leather with the Rolls Royce timepiece shifted towards the right.

The new Phantom will be based on a lightweight, aluminium architecture and could feature a revised V12 engine. It is still not clear whether the new model will use an updated 6.75 L V12 from the Gen-7 or the Rolls Royce Dawn's 6.6 L, twin-turbo V12 instead.

The new Phantom will be officially revealed on July 27, 2017 and will go on sale in 2018.

Source: CarNewsChina

Link to Team-BHP News
Attached Thumbnails
2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-2018-rolls-royce-phantomleaked3.jpg  

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-2018-rolls-royce-phantomleaked1.jpg  

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-2018-rolls-royce-phantominteriorleaked.jpg  

TusharK is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 15:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: 2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked

I always believed that those circular lights add that REGAL look to the otherwise 'squinted' eyes LED lights. Phantom should come with them, the circular lights.

From the angle of photo, the rear profile (behind C pillar) looks like Maybach. It may look different in person or in better photos.

Regards-Sonu

Last edited by GTO : 20th July 2017 at 10:27. Reason: Typos
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 16:44   #3
BHPian

The Phantom always had that insane bold, heavy and squared look which gave it amazing presence. But from these images it just looks like a bigger Ghost. Hope that'll change once the real pictures come out. I'm sure it'll look stunning in person.
goingout is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 16:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The car looks like a typical RR - a design I am not too particularly fond of, but it does have a presence!
What I particularly don't like are the interiors. It is very similar to the old RR, and just hasn't moved on in all these years - in fact, the it's lesser sibling (if you can call it that) - the 7 Series has much nicer looking interiors!
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 07:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
What I particularly don't like are the interiors. It is very similar to the old RR, and just hasn't moved on in all these years - in fact, the it's lesser sibling (if you can call it that) - the 7 Series has much nicer looking interiors!
Have you ever had the chance to sit in a roller? Trust me, your perspective on its interiors will change completely when you have the chance to sample them in real life. These computer generated images don't really display the materials, textures and opulence as well as it should. The interiors in the 7 series or any other car for that matter simply cannot be compared to a Rolls Royce, as Rolls Royce has a completely different outlook on what the interiors ought to make you feel like. They don't want to glamour you with crazy angles, lines or sleek looking aircon vents. Their aim is to make you feel like you are stepping into your living room or study room, and sitting on your favorite couch, in your decadent million dollar mansion, and trust me no other car's interiors will make you feel that way.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 20th July 2017 at 07:48.
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 14:22   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Have you ever had the chance to sit in a roller? Trust me, your perspective on its interiors will change completely when you have the chance to sample them in real life. These computer generated images don't really display the materials, textures and opulence as well as it should. The interiors in the 7 series or any other car for that matter simply cannot be compared to a Rolls Royce, as Rolls Royce has a completely different outlook on what the interiors ought to make you feel like. They don't want to glamour you with crazy angles, lines or sleek looking aircon vents. Their aim is to make you feel like you are stepping into your living room or study room, and sitting on your favorite couch, in your decadent million dollar mansion, and trust me no other car's interiors will make you feel that way.
I have. Several times.

Yes, the seat comfort is great - and when you're sitting the back, it doesn't make much of a difference. You appreciate the quality of the materials and the excellent support provided by the seats.
But at the same time - I was just not impressed. It didn't wow me like a Bentley would (and I have sat in one of those too, several times).

For a car that is meant to be a statement; it would be nice to have a more modern interior to go with it. It doesn't need to be loud - but should be something that is in with the times - especially as the buyers are becoming younger.
lamborghini is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 22:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
But from these images it just looks like a bigger Ghost.
Totally agree. The round lamps gave it an identity. It looks sleeker now but a tiny bit tacky in my opinion. But I guess it will look better in person. It doesn't matter though, at the end of the day it's got the spirit of ecstasy on the hood.
The addition of a digital display will definitely make the chauffeur happy but the center console now looks plain with the clock at the right.
TSIboy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 07:57   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

From these digital renders.. I'm not one bit impressed. Some like lines and others (I included) like curves, SOME curves.

The Rolls-Royce Phantom is an icon and its sad to see that BMW is having perhaps a bit too much influence over it, we're not wanting to see the Phantom as a 9-Series or a 11-Series (assuming Ghost is 9), we want to see Rolls-Royce do their own thing. I believe the Phantom V was the most British Rolls-Royce, yet. However I do understand that such designs may not work today and the Phantom VI was a horrible transition as it looked older than ever. I loved what BMW did with the Phantom VII.. they kept it separate from their brand and yet it looked every bit as the best car on earth.

However it seems that BMW is fast hijacking the designs of MINI and RR, this Phantom seems to have a hint of the angel-eyes and it seems to be moving closer to the grille than ever, what next, split the grille in the middle? The round fog-lamps under the headlights are removed as well, I simply liked the contrast it provided to the front end unlike the dabba designs popularized by VW group of today.

Again its only a personal opinion, and I am a fan of both BMW and RR.

Last edited by dark.knight : 21st July 2017 at 08:04.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 07:05   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

And the Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII is launched, the legend is reborn :

Looks a lot better than the renders. The epitome of luxury and a symbol of royal excess now comes with BMWesque saddle-brown interiors (was it a custom option before? Not sure) and possibly the widest screen possible, replacing the rich, wood insert in the center fascia.

Opinions? Good or bad?
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 07:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Looks amazing! They have kept it modern without taking much away from the gorgeous design of the Phantom.
2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-newrollsroycephantomrevealed-1.jpg

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-newrollsroycephantomrevealed.jpg

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-2018rollsroycephantom.jpg

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-2018rollsroycephantom-1.jpg

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-2018rollsroycephantom-2.jpg

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-2018rollsroycephantom-3.jpg

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-newrollsroycephantomrevealed-3.jpg

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-newrollsroycephantomrevealed-2.jpg

Well, don't bother about the interior that much. It can be customized down to the door hinges anyways.

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-newrollsroycephantomrevealed-6.jpg

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-newrollsroycephantomrevealed-7.jpg

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-newrollsroycephantomrevealed-8.jpg

Good job!

source
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 10:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

I quite don't like the new Phantom and here's why: the RR Phantom has always been about elegance, being graceful without trying to be and luxurious without resorting to too much 'bling-bling' like the Caddys, rappers in the States use. A certain amount of bling is fine as was the case with the previous Phantom; not in this iteration, I'm afraid.

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-newrollsroycephantomrevealed-3.jpg
Look at those DRLs? On the new Phantom they look like a souped up billionaire kid's ride on the streets of Hong Kong. Apologise for the stereotyping there but I'm trying to make a point. I quite like the side profile and the rear and the interiors are anyway customisable to individual tastes and preferences.

Every car has a DRL these days and it's cool. The usage or the design of it has to be subtle to appear cool. Making geometric shapes out of DRLs like the MINI, for instance, or this Phantom, completely negates the aesthetic appeal. The subtlety is lost making it appear 'desperate for attention.' I don't like more than a dot or a line for the shape of a DRL.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 16:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Rolls-Royce reveals Phantom VIII

Rolls-Royce has revealed the Phantom VIII in London. The car is based on an aluminium spaceframe rather than a monocoque. According to Rolls-Royce, the new architecture is 30 percent more rigid than that of the Phantom VII.

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-phantom81.jpg

The Phantom VIII carries forward the car's traditional design. Apart from minor tweaks, its profile is comparable to the outgoing Phantom. The car retains its long hood, strong shoulder line that drops off at the rear and suicide doors. However, it gets revised front and rear bumpers and as new LED headlights and tail lights.

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-phantom82.jpg

While the basic layout of the dashboard has not changed, there are minor styling tweaks. These include a three-spoke multifunction steering wheel, i-Drive-based infotainment screen, now positioned in the centre of the dashboard and the Rolls-Royce timepiece now moved to the passenger side. The car also gets a new 7x3 head-up display. Rear seat passengers can use aircraft-style tray tables, screens behind the front seats, drink cabinets with glassware and reclining seats. Other features include various driver assist programmes, night vision, active cruise control, collision warning, pedestrian and cross-traffic warning, lane departure warning and WiFi hotspot.

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-phantom83.jpg

The new Phantom is powered by a 6.75-litre, twin-turbocharged V12 engine that produces 563 BHP @ 5,000 rpm and 900 @ 1,800 rpm. The engine is mated to an 8-speed ZF automatic transmission. The Phantom VIII also comes with 22-inch "Silent-Seal Tires" that have a foam layer inside, which is claimed to reduce tyre noise by 9 decibels. Additionally, there is 6 mm double-layer sound insulation, which weighs 130 kg. The car comes with a new double-wishbone front suspension at the front and a five-link setup with air-suspension at the rear.

Rolls-Royce has not yet revealed any plans to launch the Phantom VIII in India.

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-phantom84.jpg

2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-phantom85.jpg
TusharK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 17:54   #13
BANNED

Re: Rolls-Royce reveals Phantom VIII

The giant double circular headlights were a key trait in almost every Western European large car whether it is the Duesenbergs, the Bentleys, the old Packards, Rolls, etc.

Sad to see it go - nothing gave it a flair of the old world/stately presence than those. It was almost a homage to automotive history.

Now this thing just looks like a large Ghost ! Anyhow, to each his own I guess.
D33-PAC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 20:05   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Tim previews the new Phantom

Few points I would like to quote

1) It's still one gorgeous car but now a bit more menacing.
2) Loved that auto door close which was missing. (they had the auto close from inside but didnt have one from outside)
3) Being an automotive pioneer, they should have hidden the key hole. It's such an eye sore.
4) The glass running across the dash can be distracting and reflective. But of course, it's bespoke.
5) The indicators could have integrated in a better way. Sort of sticks out. Reminds me of the old Swift.
6) Love the different bespoke options that they offer. They are indeed the masters in this area.

I know am nitpicking here but cant help since you tend to notice these after reading the official reviews here for few years now .
Old 31st July 2017, 18:53   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

In my head this model and earlier ones represented the class and regalness of RR. The more modern, more mean looking designs seem to miss it. As I cant afford it in any case I doubt the view matters.
Attached Thumbnails
2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom images leaked-sc06_rollsroyce_silver_shadow.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks