Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2017, 17:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Daimler recalls 3 million Mercedes-Benz cars in Europe for emissions

Daimler has recalled over 3 million Mercedes Benz diesel vehicles in Europe. The company has reportedly claimed that it is offering the customers a service upgrade to improve the diesel emissions. An investigation was started in May by German authorities with allegations of fraud relating to possible manipulation of exhaust emissions in the diesel-powered cars.

Mercedes-Benz will be bearing the all the costs which could amount to about €220 million. The first batch of cars will receive the fix starting next week but the implementation of the fix is expected to continue over the coming months due to the scale of the recall. In fact, a voluntary recall of diesel small cars and vans is being carried out since March.

Volkswagen had to pay $4.3 billion in criminal and civil fines after more than 11 million cars were found with a "defeat device". The device software alters the settings of the emission treatment system such that, it lowers engine emissions during regulatory testing.

As far as India is concerned, Mercedes-Benz hasn't made any official announcement regarding the latest recall yet.

Source: The Telegraph

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 18:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Daimler recalls 3 million Mercedes-Benz cars in Europe for emissions

Would this roll over to India?

What engines are impacted? Would the 2.1L diesels be one of them, and I hope we don't see the same post-update results as the VWAG vehicle owners, with majority complaining on niggles, reduced FE, etc.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 18:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

3 million cars impacted at a cost of 220 million suggest only Euro 70 per car. In Europe that is very little. The normal hourly rate at a Mercedes dealership in Western Europe is already higher. So this suggest a very simple software upgrade and nothing else or the cost per car would be much higher I would think

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 19:35   #4
Team-BHP Support

It is a lot of PR, demonstrating pro-active measures before getting hauled up for ignoring something. 220 million euro is cheaper than 5 billion euro in fines
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 20:06   #5
BHPian

What about us in India? Any decision in the offing? My GLE is just 3 months old and they have certified it as BS-IV compliant. In fact, they boast that it 'is more than'.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 07:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Recalls are good. But if it goes on like this, diesel engines on passenger cars will see the exit door much sooner than we think.

Hybrids and electric never had it so good!

The Guardian says almost every new Mercedes-Benz diesel car bought in the UK during the past six years is being recalled to improve their emissions performance. And that is big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian
Daimler said the measure to reduce nitrogen oxide (NOx) output, which will cost the company about €220m, would involve no cost to owners.

The action is being taken in relation to nearly all cars with diesel engines meeting the Euro 5 standard – implemented in 2011 – and the existing Euro 6 rules.
Looks like Mercedes is downplaying this recall quite a bit. They are on the back foot with a recall to fix fire issues from the starter motor too. Our thread here.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 11:00   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Daimler recalls 3 million Mercedes-Benz cars in Europe for emissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It is a lot of PR, demonstrating pro-active measures before getting hauled up for ignoring something. 220 million euro is cheaper than 5 billion euro in fines
Not understanding. So, has Mercedes gamed the system or not? A part of me refuses to believe that Mercedes would cheat anywhere on the lines of what VW did. But then, why would they issue such a recall if nothing was amiss?

What about owners? The car will surely behave differently and a lot of VW owners aren't satisfied with the post-remap performance.
Old 20th July 2017, 11:37   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not understanding. So, has Mercedes gamed the system or not? A part of me refuses to believe that Mercedes would cheat anywhere on the lines of what VW did. But then, why would they issue such a recall if nothing was amiss?

What about owners? The car will surely behave differently and a lot of VW owners aren't satisfied with the post-remap performance.
I dont think they gamed the system but there is always the odd design flaw which could have been detected
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 07:19   #9
BHPian

I have tracked this scandal ever since the VW thing came out . I am not able to see any technical details on what the fix is about. Earlier there were reports that the performance of the dosing system was not effective at very low temperatures . The company said it was as per the existing regulations and there seemed to be some ambiguity over the topic.

Its unusual that there are no technical details. Usually Bloomberg will have some details, but in this case even bloomberg has failed me. I am not able to understand exactly what direction this is taking , but I am thinking of the below things.

1. VW has been in the hot seat and now they are using their influence to make everyone look bad.

2. The electric automakers are doing their best to make diesel look bad.

3. The german government seems to be very keen on doing something here. Not sure why they are taking Daimler and others to task when blame rests on the management of VW alone.

This fix will not affect anyone. Its a routine fix. Its a software update and it costs next to nothing . Even the 220 million figure is the worst case. Its the big picture which matters now. Daimler and most importantly diesels reputation is on the line.
sukarsan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 12:27   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agree, I found this hard to believe too. But I also found it hard to believe when the news about VW diesel scandal broke. These sort of things just not happen in Germany I thought. Germans are just to straight.

However, they did and Mercedes appears to be the next one. Last couple of days in the news, all German car makers are investigated due to potential cartel type of agreements.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...iour-1.3163048

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed