Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2017, 07:49   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan Leaf: World's first one pedal (e-pedal) car

The next-generation 2018 Nissan LEAF is to be equipped with a system that responds much like heavy regenerative braking does. It’s called e-Pedal.

Officially, the 2018 LEAF is scheduled to make its debut on September 5th at a special event in Tokyo. Production in the US starts in early December.

Nissan Leaf: World's first one pedal (e-pedal) car-capture.jpg

Nissan just released its latest “teaser” for the upcoming 2018 LEAF. The tease this time around is what the automaker refers to as e-Pedal. Nissan describes the technology as follows:

Nissan Leaf: World's first one pedal (e-pedal) car-1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th July 2017 at 07:59.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 08:43   #2
BHPian

re: Nissan Leaf: World's first one pedal (e-pedal) car

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The next-generation 2018 Nissan LEAF is to be equipped with a system that responds much like heavy regenerative braking does. It’s called e-Pedal.
I have always wondered why there were 2 pedals in an automatic where one should do. Looks like there has been someone who was listening to my thoughts : )

The reason that I realised why 2 pedals were there was to have control over the rate of braking. If the e-pedal relies on the rate of release of the e-Pedal, I suspect it would take a bit of practice to get the hang of the rate of braking. It does take a lot of learning for the feet. You may want to, for instance, try braking with your left foot to understand what I mean (Statutory Warning: Please do this in an empty stretch where there is no one around your vehicle and a slow speed)

Last edited by GTO : 21st July 2017 at 10:03. Reason: typo
swissknife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 13:32   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Nissan Leaf: World's first one pedal (e-pedal) car

Reading reviews of the Chevrolet Bolt EV, almost every tester spoke of its strong regenerative braking as you lift your foot off the accelerator pedal. That applies to a lot of other EVs too. But our brains are hard-wired to use different pedals for accelerating & braking; that's how it should be. Glad it appears to be optional (i.e. you have to activate the feature via a switch).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 14:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

I actually am not a fan of advertising this one pedal system, cars should continue having 2 pedals- only to be replaced by autonomous vehicles later. The advertisement is misleading.

Nissan can have regeneration once the driver lifts off the accelerator, but drivers shouldn't be taught to rely on that for stopping the car all the time.

I doubt the e-pedal will really help that much in heavy traffic. The cars already have 'creep.' Releasing the brake pedal is enough to get the car moving. With proper integration of sensors, they can have 'faster' creep in traffic.

Street driving technique has been standardized for nearly a century- braking and accelerating is done by the right foot.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 20th July 2017 at 14:39.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 15:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

So when you want to do a emergency stop, you flip a switch and use the pedal ? Slowing down and coming to stop is different. What happens to cruise control function in this case. How do you switch to braking suddenly from this function ? You can have all the buttons etc but to someone accustomed to driving normal cars, its going to be difficult and dangerous.

Last edited by srishiva : 20th July 2017 at 15:12.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 15:41   #6
BHPian

Long ago, a group of friends and I were driving in the US. It was a long drive, and we took turns to drive. A friend was driving, and all of us were embedded in deep thoughts of our own worlds. Silence in the car. My friend driving, turns around, and asks a question. She apparently asked only to reconfirm what she already knew. We probably were doing 60-65 mph on a freeway. The car was an automatic, like most cars in the US are. Her question was -

'The right pedal is to accelerate and the left pedal is to brake. Correct?'

All of us in deep thoughts, semi-slumber, jumped on our respective seats and said in unison.. YES.

As she was driving, she apparently was slightly confused and wanted to be sure.

The entire story sounds funny now, and we had a good laugh at that time.

But the point is, some people still have an occasional doubt. Yes, its true.

Single peddle will eliminate such wonderful moments. Kidding!

On a serious note, I would never switch the single pedal mode on. Because -

1. Difficult to modulate one pedal to increase/decrease speed. (Or at least I think so).

2. What would happen if I suddenly take off my food from the A pedal. Stop instantly. ABS kicking in?

3. How would cruise control work in such a situation? Switch it on, and rest foot on pedal? How to release cruise control?

Single peddle option seems to add more questions and doubts, rather than a sigh of relief at the reduced work that needs to be done.
OrangeCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 15:45   #7
BHPian

The worst thing about it, by far, has to be that it'll destroy your muscle memory for driving regular cars. After that, if you ever drive someone else's car, the chances of making a fatal mistake are significant. Similarly, every person who drives your car will have to go through a steep learning curve before being able to safely use it on the road. I'm usually very eager to try the latest technologies and automation, but in this case, I'd wait to see how it did in the market before buying it myself (even if I could).
aryayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 20:27   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Teaser to NISSAN Leaf - Zero Lift due to Advanced Aero

Old 3rd August 2017, 20:46   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
2. What would happen if I suddenly take off my food from the A pedal. Stop instantly. ABS kicking in?

3. How would cruise control work in such a situation? Switch it on, and rest foot on pedal? How to release cruise control?

Single peddle option seems to add more questions and doubts, rather than a sigh of relief at the reduced work that needs to be done.
Few people got it wrong here.

B-Pedal will remain on it's place and continue it's function. Concept of single pedal is releasing the A-Pedal itself will add an function of gradual braking and helps to keep the vehicle in halt eliminating the need of pressing the B-Pedal

To answer your questions,
2. Nope, vehicle will start to decelerate gradually and comes to halt
3. With cruise control 'Single pedal' function will be disabled

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 3rd August 2017 at 20:48.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed