Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Old 25th February 2020, 12:40   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars from 2040

This plan has now advanced by five years; the ban will be in effect from 2035.

Quote:
Britain will ban sales of new gasoline and diesel cars from 2035 — five years earlier than planned — heaping pressure on an auto industry that is already struggling to cope with a global sales slump and the fallout from Brexit.

And for the first time, hybrid vehicles will also be covered by the ban.

The UK government detailed the more aggressive approach in a statement Tuesday, saying it was necessary to fight the climate crisis and help the United Kingdom cut carbon emissions to "net zero" by 2050.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/04/b...-uk/index.html
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 18:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: UK to advance petrol & diesel car ban to 2030

According to a media report, the British Prime Minister is expected to announce a ban on new petrol and diesel cars from 2030.

Initially, the ban was set to come into effect from 2040. It was brought forward to 2035 earlier this year and is now expected to be enforced from 2030.

Increasing amounts of nitrogen oxide content in the air is said to be the reason behind the advancement of the ban. It is said that the Ministers believe that the health risks could lead to a high loss in productivity amounting to 2.7 billion GBP per year.

This new schedule could exempt some of the petrol electric hybrids and allow their sale upto the year 2035. Sales figures for petrol and diesel cars stand at 73.6% of new car sales while all-electric cars make up just 5.5% of total sales. The share of hybrid vehicles is 20.9%.

France had also announced that it would ban internal combustion engines after 2040, but it was more to meet the targets of the Paris climate accord.

Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars from 2040-02_citigoe_iv1440x961.jpg

Link to the Team-BHP News
blackwasp is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 00:32   #33
BHPian

In India Govt won't/can't show such forward thinking. I expect courts to announce one fine day just like Diesel cars registration years was cut to 10 years from 15.
sunnsood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 01:07   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnsood View Post
In India Govt won't/can't show such forward thinking.
There have been news of Indian government considering a ban on non-EVs from 2030 but seems the decision was deferred because of the pandemic.
Old 16th November 2020, 07:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In India Govt won't/can't show such forward thinking. I expect courts to announce one fine day just like Diesel cars registration years was cut to 10 years from 15.
Be careful about what you wish for.

Unlike the ban on sale of ICE cars in UK, which will most probably not impact existing owners, the implementation of the 10 yr rule here, impacted everyone. We just love blanket bans and "with retrospective effect".

That said, we have a long way to go before we can even think on similar lines. The first wave of adoption will have to be consumer lead which will make the infrastructure catch up and only after that can we afford to put in this sort of a legislation.
Dry Ice is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 09:00   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
[b]
This new schedule could exempt some of the petrol electric hybrids and allow their sale upto the year 2035. Sales figures for petrol and diesel cars stand at 73.6% of new car sales while all-electric cars make up just 5.5% of total sales. The share of hybrid vehicles is 20.9%.
There is a mix-up of numbers and categories of vehicles in this. Let me explain.

1. Proposed ban applies to all petrol-only and diesel-only vehicles with no hybrid technology. It also applies to all the hybrid vehicles that are not able to plug-in to charge the batteries (ex: Prius hybrid, Camry Hybrid, etc...). Mild hybrid vehicles will also be banned.

2. Ban for plug-in hybrids will start from 2035. (ex: Prius plug-in hybrid). Many luxury models from Audi, BMW, Mercedes already have plug-in hybrid options for most of their models)

The UK provides a subsidy for only full-electric vehicles. They removed subsidies for plug-in hybrids some time back. Despite limited all-electric models and higher prices, full-electric vehicles are growing at a rapid pace in the UK and many European countries. In 2020, BEV sales grew 168% YoY while the overall market declined by 31%. With cheaper options like VW ID3, PSA group (e-corse, e-208) starting to arrive, the sales will continue to grow in the years to come. I strongly believe the ban will not even be needed by 2030, but it will provide a timeline for companies to move in that direction.
sri_tesla is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 11:08   #37
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Essentially, my generation will never will never be allowed to enjoy nice engines unless we are insanely rich, right now. I understand that the environment takes precedence but here we are again. Yeah well, why don't they go ban other things instead? I think I just painted a huge target on my back.
vredesbyrd is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 14:51   #38
BHPian

UK is not a role model for any industrialized nation to follow - a total disaster.

The largest de-industrialization in modern times, shame. These crooked politicians have now increased investments in China with this news. Remember, any move towards electrification of transportation leads to massive investments in China.

India must slowly build its capabilities locally and let electric car production scale up according to consumer demand and technology advancements.

We have already lost plenty of industries to China, lets not lose our car industry also because of unplanned switch over to electric power train.

We cannot be paying China lots of money and then live under fear because they are using our money to strengthen their military and then threaten our existence.
Kosfactor is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 23:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
India must slowly build its capabilities locally and let electric car production scale up according to consumer demand and technology advancements.

We have already lost plenty of industries to China, lets not lose our car industry also because of unplanned switch over to electric power train.
How long should this continue? 2030 is decade away and Indian auto Industry had a tough time migrating to BS6 norms despite knowing well in advance the due date around the same.

I know Indian Govt won't do it as they a lot of dead weight of Petrol industries still under govt control. Lets just look at coal. All over the world, coal based power plants are being shut down while we are building new. Just because govt still owns Coal India and its survival depends on it.
sunnsood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 23:42   #40
BHPian

Quote:
How long should this continue? 2030 is decade away and Indian auto Industry had a tough time migrating to BS6 norms despite knowing well in advance the due date around the same.

I know Indian Govt won't do it as they a lot of dead weight of Petrol industries still under govt control. Lets just look at coal. All over the world, coal based power plants are being shut down while we are building new. Just because govt still owns Coal India and its survival depends on it.
Why should there be a due date? Petrol or diesel vehicles meanwhile won't chase humans down and kill us. If electric vehicles are a better technology to replace combustion engines in their respective segments, let that happen organically. Ather is a better scooter since scooters are used for short trips, those who do only short city runs can buy electric cars like Nexon EV, but we must demand that they are atleast 80% by value made in India. And where is the Alto equivalent EV? EVs need to be affordable, practical and better, not compromised than what we have, that's called progress.

Industrialized nations, like US, China, Germany , India etc need reliable energy sources to run its massive factories that produces most of the things for the rest of the world. The only viable replacement to fossil fuels is Nuclear, but that technology is expensive and only countries like US can handle it properly. So in the meantime, let's use big beautiful coal and our own energy sources including petroleum.

Remember - You lose economy, you lose sovereignty, you lose your country eventually.
Kosfactor is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 00:19   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Remember - You lose economy, you lose sovereignty, you lose your country eventually.
Before we go off topic, I am too small take so much responsibility. 96% Indians already feed on my direct and indirect taxes. Plus I need to bear the moral burden of buying foreign origin products which can't/aren't made in India.
Old 17th November 2020, 06:34   #42
BHPian

A better option would be to push for re-cycling incentives, i.e, incentivise scrapping of all vehicles above the age of 7 years, and certifying minimum fuel efficiency standards for all vehicles, through whatever options.

If we think like the UK in everything we do, why bother to be independent? As the second largest country (by population), we need to create a new standard for energy efficiency in all aspects of personal and public life.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd November 2020 at 12:24. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 18th November 2020, 14:01   #43
BHPian

Default UK to ban petrol, diesel cars from 2030

UK to ban petrol, diesel cars from 2030 in green 'revolution'

Quote:
Britain will ban the sale of new gasoline and diesel cars by 2030, a decade earlier than its previous commitment, the Prime Minister said Tuesday.
Quote:
The government said sales of new gasoline and diesel cars and vans will end in 2030, though hybrid vehicles can be sold until 2035.

Automakers have expressed concern about the target, saying the previous goal of 2040 was already ambitious.
Source: The Hindu

This is a huge announcement. Impact will be immediate as companies would have to move quickly of their current investments in Petrol and Diesel engines to electric or Hydrogen.
Exciting times ahead.
Old 19th November 2020, 22:25   #44
BHPian

Rory Reid (former host of Top Gear) shares his opinion on the ban here -

Last edited by Shrayus_shirali : 19th November 2020 at 22:27.
Shrayus_shirali is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 23:47   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrayus_shirali View Post
Rory Reid (former host of Top Gear) shares his opinion on the ban here -
http://Youtu.be/DGjFwZZpxS8
He has a controversial opinion on this subject (coming from the perspective of a car enthusiast/auto journalist) but I think he’s right about everything he said aside from one thing - I will miss interesting engines even in regular commuter cars.

Anyways, I just hope they let low volume manufacturers continue to make ICE cars. Considering they’re rarely driven (weekend toys) they don’t pollute all that much.
Darkviper is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed