Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2017, 12:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Next-gen Volkswagen Jetta spied without camouflage. EDIT: Launched

The next-generation Volkswagen Jetta has been spied without camouflage. The car was spotted at the Volkswagen factory in Mexico.

The new Jetta will be based on Volkswagen's MQB platform. It is expected to get a longer wheelbase than the outgoing car.

Next-gen Volkswagen Jetta spied without camouflage. EDIT: Launched-2018-jetta1.jpg

Apart from the architecture, the car will feature styling updates. The images reveal a new front fascia that resembles that of the Volkswagen Arteon sedan. The car gets a hexagonal grille finished in gloss black, flanked by new headlights that appear to merge into it. A strong character line runs along the side and blends into the new wraparound tail lamps.

Next-gen Volkswagen Jetta spied without camouflage. EDIT: Launched-2018-jetta3.jpg

The Jetta is also expected to get a refreshed interior as well as updates to the features and infotainment system.

The current Jetta is offered with a 1.4-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine and a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel with a choice of a 6-speed manual gearbox or a 6-speed DSG automatic transmission. Details of the engines that are likely to power the Jetta have not been revealed as yet.

Next-gen Volkswagen Jetta spied without camouflage. EDIT: Launched-2018-jetta2.jpg

Volkswagen has not announced any plans to bring the new Jetta to India.

Source: Autologia

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 8th August 2017 at 12:07.
TusharK is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 12:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Next-gen Volkswagen Jetta spied without camouflage. EDIT: Launched

That indeed is a stunning sedan

If Skoda & VW make such beautiful looking sedans it makes the Audi A4 (non quattro models) look like a joke.
karan561 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 12:33   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I love the side profile. Rear looks sweet too. But they have messed up the front, looks like a modified 3rd gen Honda city from the front. May be darker colours would look better.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 12:39   #4
BHPian

What is a blackened creta grill doing on a jetta? 🤔. The front looks awful. Since the Vento gets the 3 slat grill which the jetta had, VW has gone one up on jetta 😂. Why fix it when ain't broken?. The Jetta design looked timeless. Now it really looks hideous.

Last edited by drashkum : 8th August 2017 at 12:41.
drashkum is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 12:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Dont like the front of the car. The rear is combination of Skoda, old Audi etc. They have run of ideas for the Jetta I guess.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 13:00   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Predictably ugly! The very first Jetta that they launched in India had a personality, the subsequent generations progressively lost it...And if they plan to sell this one against the Octavia, just forget it. Octy looks smashing compared to this.
anandpadhye is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 13:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I love the side profile. Rear looks sweet too. But they have messed up the front, looks like a modified 3rd gen Honda city from the front. May be darker colours would look better.
+1. The first thing that came to my mind was Honda City. The side profile looks good but cant say the same about the back. Its too plain and simple.
Just my two cents.
Akib Khan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 13:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

Not that it's a bad thing, but that car looks a bit too much like a Ford Fusion.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 14:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

This really is a pastiche of so many design philosophies. The rear, as some have pointed out, is Superb meets A4, while the front is a bit Hyundai'ish in that it's got too many sharp lines and overly designed grill. Looks good side-on, and long too, but on the face of things its stepbrother (read Octavia) has well and truly got its number when it comes to aesthetics.
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 14:47   #10
AYP
Senior - BHPian

For a moment I thought that the new Jetta has been spied in India without camouflage. It just got me excited. I hope that they bring this car to India.

As far as the design is concerned, the new Octavia looks much better. The front of the car looks like the present generation City and the rear has lost the elegance of its predecessor. I hope that VW sticks to their strengths in the other areas of the car.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 15:11   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe the front is still camouflaged (with a gloss black tape), the end result will be a chrome grille like the Passat;

Next-gen Volkswagen Jetta spied without camouflage. EDIT: Launched-2015vwpassatfrontatthe2014parismotorshow.jpg
karan561 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 16:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

For some reason the front looks like that it has been inspired by Asian Cars with too many lines. The bonnet is cluttered with so many lines. The Side profile again appears to have a very prominent crease, very unlike European designs.
Doubtful this will age gracefully
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 16:41   #13
BHPian

The elegant styling of Jetta has gone for a toss. The side profile screams Ford Fusion and the rear is a Skoda! Not a good sign.
Maybe this bling look will work for India!
trek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 16:53   #14
BHPian

Get this in India and I will be ready to buy in a couple of years' time!

Guys
Have some mercy before commenting "front facia is bad, looking like old City and rear is boring". This is definitely a lower variant - not the body coloured handle, no alloys and no Chrome on the rear.
I am sure all these would come in when [and if] this gets in India

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 17:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have some mercy before commenting "front facia is bad, looking like old City and rear is boring".
But you comment on what is shown here. We cannot imagine how it will look in future. Currently it looks pretty sad from the front. The side profile is typical Jetta. The side in fact looks like Audi A4 to a large extent.

One of the most difficult choice of car when you know Audi is just a badge when you compare it with Jetta. If not for the smug value Audi A4 would never get sold when Jetta is around.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks