Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2006, 02:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lamborghini is readying to blow every1 in Gallardo segment away!! 550hp RWD < 150kg

I was going through some forums and got to hear about this over the top version lamborghini is planning. They already have 2 special editions out..

One is the SE which was #250

and now the current Nera Ed #185

and next year the most anticipated and crazed-out version would be this Superleggera / GT whatever they plan to call it..

Talks are that it will be 550hp, RWD with 150-200kg less weight(removing AWD takes away 100-120kg anyways) which will put it in some serious exotic list beating out the LP640 and the new upcoming 911 GT2.

I think its their answer to the 430CS and 911 GT2.

I cant wait...what a car this would be...

predicition from my side is that it would be around 3200 lb curb weight down from 3600 lb currently, 550 hp, RWD would make this beast go from 0-60 in about 3.7 sec or possibly 3.5 sec with afew body changes coming in at with a premium of about 30-50k USD so around 200-215,000 base.

I cant wait....

Some pictures submitted by a US dealer to lamborghini proposing a possible look for the car..

Last edited by aah78 : 14th November 2006 at 03:40.
Old 14th November 2006, 08:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

Rear wheel drive only!!!!! Thats going to be a monster to drive. To get that much power down the acceleration figures may suffer.
Part of the lambos driving experience is the AWD. which offers amazing amount of traction. with only RWD it may not be as fun to throw around corners.
But who cares when you have 550bhp and wheelspin galore.
Old 14th November 2006, 10:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

An absolute stunner thats all I can say.With an audi management did they still agree to go for RWD only?

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 14th November 2006 at 10:30.
Old 14th November 2006, 13:21   #4
BHPian

Great news.. this one looks awesome too. Just waiting for the mindblowing figures now
Old 14th November 2006, 16:09   #5
BANNED

Hmmmm.... Not something I expected from Lambo.

I used to love Lambos for their AWD. That used to make the car sooooo much fun to drive. Although it ain't a child's play to drive these cars, Still the AWD effect was a Lambo special.

Now with RWD only thingy, I dont know how it'll be to drive.

Let's wait for the final release before we say anything.
Old 14th November 2006, 20:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

For those who like the sterile feel of an AWD, the regular AWD will still be there, but for enthuziasts who wanted lembo to come out with an RWD as they did previously as well on many occasions is probably going to be answered...

But tell me how is AWD any better, it is acually not as much fun and has a fair share of its problems with the clutch, atleast the RWD will make the lambo a true everyday fast car with track use..and this is really a 430CS and GT2 competitor and regular lambo will stay a 430 competitor..

Everyone I have spoken to wants a RWD lambo, there is nothing like it...I particularly cant wait, if I had to buy one, it would be a RWD version only...
Old 14th November 2006, 20:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

From Lambocars. com:

"A look at the 2007 models from Automobili Lamborghini SpA.
We already know that the Gallardo will receive a few minor tweaks for the MY2007 edition, more about this in one of our previous Newsflash items, but a recent interview with Stephan Winkelmann made some other things clear about the things going on at Sant'Agata these days...

Right now Automobili Lamborghini SpA is on the right track to sell over 2000 years before Januari 1. 2007, an all time record for the Raging Bull company, and Mr Winkelmann thinks this is about enough, growing further beyond this point could possibly backfire in the long run. He also stated it wouldn't be any problem to sell more than 2000 cars in 2007, but that would also mean that future owners would be waiting over one year for delivery of their car, and to Mr Winkelmann this is simply not acceptable.

When asked the question about new models, Mr Winkelmann responded that both a 2+2 GT and a new SUV are still being considered, but he also insisted that neither the name Espada nor LM will be used for any new model that could be introduced, Automobili Lamborghini SpA is looking at the future, and resurrecting those names from the past isn't seen as a viable solution at Sant'Agata.

Many people are still waiting for the production version of the Januray 2006 Miura Concept car, but they could be in for a very long wait, Stephan Winkelmann no longer has any intention of producing this amazing automobile, not even in a limited production run, the numbers just don't add up and a Retro design like this isn't in line with Lamborghini's 'on the edge' strategy.
The Miura Concept was created as a celebration of the 40th anniversary of the original model, not to be a preview of things to come ...

This 'on the edge' strategy is explained by Winkelmann as being uncompromising, extreme and truly Italian, a Lamborghini should be wider, lower and more aggressively designed than any of the competitors, and the current Murciélago LP640 is a prime example of this idea ...

For 2007 we can however expect further evolutions of the current models, the magnificent LP640 will loose it's roof towards the end of 2006, when the LP640 Roadster will become available, while during 2007 we should be seeing light-weight versions of both the Murciélago and the Gallardo, maybe even a V10 with rear-wheel drive only ... a Gallardo SV perhaps.
Note that the SV designation has not been confirmed, but it wouuld be nice anyway ... we'll have to wait and see which new masterpieces will emerge from the factory gates at Sant'Agata over the next months."

And there is a chance that Ferrari might offer the AWD in the future as an option to the RWD starting with their F430 replacement due in 2 odd years..

Last edited by 1Day : 14th November 2006 at 20:15.
Old 14th November 2006, 21:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
Rear wheel drive only!!!!! Thats going to be a monster to drive. To get that much power down the acceleration figures may suffer.
Part of the lambos driving experience is the AWD. which offers amazing amount of traction. with only RWD it may not be as fun to throw around corners.
But who cares when you have 550bhp and wheelspin galore.
i dont see how RWD ruins the cornering. infact it should make the cornering better. with the front wheels doing only the turning

i'd want a read drive gallardo, it's already the best in this segment(my opinion)
this is just the icing on the cake(though i really dont like icing)
Old 25th November 2006, 20:29   #9
BHPian

Me thinks RWD does not ruin cornering, but AWD betters it. The excess power doing to the rear wheels and causing a spin-out is avoided since some of that power foes to the front wheels.

RWD has only been standardized in Lambos after that Lambo Diablos SV and VT. They had only RWD before that.
Old 25th November 2006, 23:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

It's not the cornering that will suffer, but the corner exit speed.

Putting down 550bhp through 2 wheels is anyday tougher than putting it down through 4.

But, with a weight reduction of 150-200kgs and a bump in bhp, it's got more to gain than lose.

Shan2nu
Old 25th November 2006, 23:46   #11
BHPian

i think all the AWD in lambos had to do with the audi takeover.
yes, the diablos had awd but at an experimental stage then.

certainly, this new bull will be a beast.
Old 26th November 2006, 08:27   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelntoe View Post
i think all the AWD in lambos had to do with the audi takeover.
yes, the diablos had awd but at an experimental stage then.
Yeah dude....spot on....
Old 26th November 2006, 16:05   #13
SuperSyn

The biggest 'issue' with Gallardo is the gearing, the management types gave it un-naturally long gearing to make sure it did not outperform Murcielago. Let us all hope and pray that this newer version gets tighter gearning, now that would make for a fun toy.

Old 26th November 2006, 17:53   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Anything Lamborghini dishes out is very palatable to me
Old 3rd March 2007, 03:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

The new Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera

The Superleggera accelerates to 62mph in 3.8 seconds, shaving 0.2 seconds off the basic model through a ‘robotised’ gearbox that allows the driver to change gear without taking their hands off the steering wheel.
A V10 engine delivers 530bhp, with decreased weight of over 100Kg boosting power. Carbon fibre and polycarbonate have been widely used to achieve further weight reductions.

Source:
The new Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks