Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2017, 14:09   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)

Beaulieu is just 30 minutes drive from Southampton, located in the New Forest.

Apart from some stunning scenario the estate is most famous for it’s car museum and the various events it hold through the year.

The museum was visited by another TeamBHP member earlier:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/beyond...museum-uk.html

It’s definitely worth a visit, quite an interesting collection and these days they also have the various TopGear cars on display (e.g. the amphibious boats, the combine harvester, etc)

By far the most famous event every year is the so called International Autojumble. More than 2000 market stalls with car parts, old, new, some incredibly old, all sorts of automobile and a whole lot more. I visited some 10-12 years ago. As it so happens I had to be in London on business on the Friday. So I took the night ferry Hook of Holland to Harwich, drove to our London office and spend the day there. In the evening I drove on towards Southampton. I had reserved a small B&B in the centre of the town. You best make reservations as this event draws a huge crowd. In the morning during breakfast every single guest was on their way to the Autojumble. Seven different nationalities!

I like Southampton, as I like all coastal towns. I walked down to the harbour, took a ferry to the Isle of Wight, walked around a bit, had a very nice Indian dinner, took the ferry back again and went to sleep.

There was a sailing regatta taking place as we approached East Cowes:

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9014885.jpg

The next morning after a hearty full English breakfast that set me up for the day I left for the short drive to Beaulieu. It’s only 30 minutes, but it can get very congested. I left by about 08.30 and got there at around 09.00. No problem. The event doesn’t open till 10.00 but I would rather wait at the estate then sit in an endless que waiting to get into the parking. At the estate the restaurant and the museum are open from early on so you can get a cup of coffee and wonder around.

The logistics, route signage, parking etc are all extremely well organised. They have been doing this for several decades and it gets bigger every year.

At 10.00 they let us in. These market stalls are set up on the grounds of the estate, so all on grass land. If it’s rainy and or wet, it all turns into mud very quickly. Luckily it was a gorgeous day, the sun was out, pleasant temperature of around 22oC. It can’t get any better than that.

Now this place comprise of some 2000 market stalls. Some are professional companies, some are clubs, a lot are just amateurs. On Sunday there is also an additional terrain for a car boot sale. Most of the stuff on sale is second hand

There is a saying amongst classic cars enthousiast, if you can’t find it at Beaulieu, it doesn’t exist. It’s probably true, and many people come here specifically to look for hard to get parts.

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024892.jpg

Feel free to roam, open each box, look, discuss, haggle and enjoy

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024894.jpg

And you can find just about anything, in just about any state of repair or disrepair if you like. Here’s a little engine from an Austin Riley I believe. Needs a bit of TLC, but somebody bought it. I walked past this stall in the morning when it was there, around noon I came across it again and it was gone!

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024896.jpg

Next to part there is a sheer endless amount of automobile on sale and display. Look at this, every single item is for sale, from the cupboard to each oil can.

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024897.jpg

Later this year we will move home and I’m finally getting a big garage. So I’m on the lookout for some of this stuff.

More parts and all sorts of stuff:

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024898.jpg

This guy is selling brand new leather interiors for various MGs. They are pretty good and easy to install yourself. A friend of mine, bought something similar several years ago. These leathers just fit over the existing vinyl seats. Just like putting on gloves. Works a treat! Having nice leather seats makes a world of difference, I think, on the visuals of the car.

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024900.jpg

Although it’s an Autojumble you will find all sorts of other stuff as well. Here for instance is a complete steam boiler!

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024901.jpg

And of course, tools. You will find a huge collection of rusty old tools at just about any market stall you care to look. But there are also a fair number of traders that sell brand new tools. For me it’s like being in heaven!

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024902.jpg

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024903.jpg

How about this as a nice paper weight on your desk? The guy had at least four of them lying around.

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024904.jpg

On these sort of events you will always run across one of these stands. A guy selling “Super Glue”. I find it fascinating to watch and hear him promote his glue. The English are very good at this sort of thing, very funny too.

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024906.jpg

You are looking for a second hand tractor or maybe a Lister engine? Look no further, this guy will sort you out.

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024907.jpg

I’m still looking for an original oil pressure meter for the Alfa Spider of a friend. I’ve looked at hundreds last week, but I must have missed it, because I’m sure there is one in here!

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024908.jpg

Believe it or not, but these kiddy push carts are hugely popular and go for a small fortune. Interesting combination to be selling these push carts in combination with the wing of a Jaguar (Or MG, not sure)

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024911.jpg

Not sure what it has to do with cars, but there you are. It still makes for an interesting, if not unusual stall to look at:

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024912.jpg

Again, not so sure what this is, but it would make somebody a nice project for the next ten years or so.

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024913.jpg

Of course, if you own a Classic RollsRoyce you want to make sure you have the correct set of tools with it. For many classic car owners, getting hold of an original tool set to go with your classic car is like the proverbial holly grail. I have one for my Mercedes, but not for my Alfa Romeo. Still looking

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024916.jpg

I have no idea what this is, other than a bike of course. Looks like somebody knocked himself out tarting it up and making it a lot more complex looking than it was.

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024921.jpg

Another piece of machinery I could not figure out:

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024917.jpg

Here is one of the very first mopeds. Essentially a bicycle with a little engine strapped to it.

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024926.jpg

Strolling around the estate makes you hungry and tired

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024927.jpg

This must be somebodies project. Some dad decided his kid needed an E-type. going cheap! (compared to the real deal that is)

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024928.jpg

This guy like so many of us, is pondering about all these parts. Is this the part I’m looking for, how much would he be asking for it. It’s a bit rusty, I can probably clean that off, etc. etc.

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024931.jpg

An English lady working an English wheel, Most would put on overalls and gloves, but this lady had a go at it just like this! The bit that’s for sale is the English wheel.

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024934.jpg

One of the last stalls I visited. I mean you clean up your garage. You find an old radiator and a pair of boots. See if you can flock them at Beaulieu’s

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024943.jpg

Catering is very English and very good. The weather helped too of course.

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9024941.jpg

Here are my goodies. In the end I only bought some tools. Got myself a set of torque sockets, a compression meter, brake fluid tester, oil can and a nifty little canister with a little spout to spray for instance soapy water into hard to reach places.

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9034945.jpg

Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)-p9034946.jpg

This event also has several hundred of classic cars for sale and an auction, but I just walked past them. I had been there from 0900 till about 16.30 and I needed to head back out to Harwich to catch my ferry.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 3rd September 2017 at 14:37.
Jeroen is online now   (47) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 10:48   #2
Team-BHP Support

Mod note: Thread moved to The International Automotive Scene. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by GTO : 4th September 2017 at 10:48. Reason: Bump
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 15:53   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)

Excellent Thread & Narration Jeroen

Would love to visit one of these for sure, if not for shopping but at-least to get the vibe of this gathering

Thanks for sharing !
Old 4th September 2017, 23:18   #4
BHPian

Re: Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK)

Thanks for posting this Jeroen. I am in London once a year and would love to visit this market. Great place to visit for the vibes, pick up some nice parts and maybe connect with some like minded classic car enthusiasts.

Where exactly are you located in and around London, if i may ask ?
Old 4th September 2017, 23:36   #5
BHPian

And I'm feeling so horrible right now because I spent good three years in Bournemouth which isn't very far from Southampton and never knew about this place. Awesome thread. Thanks for sharing!
Old 4th September 2017, 23:40   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Thanks for posting this Jeroen. I am in London once a year and would love to visit this market. Great place to visit for the vibes, pick up some nice parts and maybe connect with some like minded classic car enthusiasts.

Where exactly are you located in and around London, if i may ask ?

Thanks. I don't live in London, I live in the Netherlands for now, but we also have a second home in Suffolk. So we often pop over on the Hook of Holland Harwich night ferry for a long weekend. I had to be at our London, or more precisely, our Chiswick office so it was a good way to combine business with pleasure.

Jeroen
Old 5th September 2017, 06:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wow. The Beaulieu looks like a gold mine for parts.

This event reminds me a little of the trip to the gujlee (street market for parts) in Bangalore (Shivajinagar) I made to source a stock exhaust for my Enfield 500. I did not manage to get one cause most of them never quite understood what I really wanted. The gujlee is one disorganized place too. These chaps should think of holding events like these though in a more structured and organised way. I bet there will be a lot of interest. We could have tandoori stalls instead of Fish N Chips.

I did manage to source a gearbox for my 72 Fiat 1100D. It is possible to find what you want except the place is far from welcoming. Besides; if you do end up taking your exotic ride there, chances are there will be nothing left of it when you return.

The Beaulieu is a fine example of how you can make a parts warehouse of sorts interesting for the automobile enthusiast, collector, restorer, mechanic and even as a casual outing.

Absolutely love the Shell oil dispenser you picked up.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 5th September 2017 at 06:14.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 23:28   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Used to visit nearby Buckler's Hard. Have even arrived there by boat a few times.

Have recently been wishing I still had a swage block. Maybe there was one under one of those piles!

Can you tell us anything about the machine that the lady in the floral dress is operating/standing by? At first, I thought the wheels must rotate, then realised they don't. So... Is there a hammer action there? Hell of a nice thing for making multi-dimensional curves, if that is what it indeed does.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 00:26   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Can you tell us anything about the machine that the lady in the floral dress is operating/standing by? At first, I thought the wheels must rotate, then realised they don't. So... Is there a hammer action there? Hell of a nice thing for making multi-dimensional curves, if that is what it indeed does.

As I said in my text it is known as an English wheel, maybe some thought that was a joke, but that's what these contraption are called. 😀

No hammer, just pressure from the two wheels and very skillfull rolling back and forth of the steel plate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_wheel

It is quite difficult to do properly. As with all aspects of real skilled metal working it really takes years of practice to do properly. Not that many people that still know how to use it. But it is an ideal piece of tooling for classic car restoration, as you can produce just about any piece of a car as a one off.

Plenty of Youtube video's out there, here is a good one on some of the basic. Notice the different rollers and what they do

Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 03:53   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh great! Ha Ha... Had never heard of that English Wheel!

It's bedtime: will watch that tomorrow. Many thanks.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 15:15   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched. Fascinating.

I have heard of an English wheel. But, being ThisOldTony, I thought it was some kind of joke. More fool me!

Edit: skip to 6.05 for a joke followed by the English Wheel. The URL has the start time, but that doesn't seem to work here.

(Unless you want to watch a great video on thread cutting for beginners. But you can probably do that stuff in your sleep)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th September 2017 at 15:18.

Most Viewed